Did you mean: 

Slow speeds after joining plusnet

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Slow speeds after joining plusnet

Quote from: iqb043
I was initially on evening and weekends but was advised i would need the anytime package to add the broadband.

Was that advised by PlusNet or does that statement relate to your previous supplier?
You do not need to have a phone line package to have PlusNet broadband, it is though cheaper if you do have your phone line with PN.  There is also no need for you to have a call pack bundled into the deal either.  For example, if you opt for line rental saver (LRS) then there are no included calls at all, unless you opt for that package extension.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

iqb043
Grafter

I was just on plusnet evening and weekends. When i wanted to transfer my broadband over i was advised by Thomas that i would have to take anytime calls package and create a new account. He said i could downgrade that after month one if i didnt want it.
Whats this call back feature and how much is it? I havent requested anything like that.
I got an email this afternoon stating the phone line is set up
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Its disconnected a number of times which has led to a really low sync speed with high snr margin.
The upload speed is still capped and im not sure if interleaving is turned off.
The output power for the download is 0db as well for some reason. The firmwares on 10.2.5.2 and im using the modem from my previous supplier (Be). Could that be an issue?

Can you be sure that the disconnections have lead to the SNRM being so high as opposed to there having been interference at the time the router synched up and now the noise has gone, the SNRM has risen accordingly.  It would be useful to download and install routerstats to monitor SNRM.
Interleaving is on and given the way the line is performing it might be necessary!
Do not worry DS output power, that is not something the router can measure.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

iqb043
Grafter

What sort of things would cause the interference? The router is sat by itself with no other equipment. Could the modem be faulty? Its really slow and i can feel it slower online.
The snr was 6 a few days ago? Then i saw 12 and now 15
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

The snr was 6 a few days ago? Then i saw 12 and now 15

That is interesting up to a point - without the other bit of information - synch speed - it is not possible to know if the changed SNRM is down to a resynch at a lower speed or if there has been no resynch but interference has gone away.
The only way to get a clear picture on interference is to run constant monitoring using something like routerstats.
The sources of interference are many and might not even be within your own home.  Today, one person on this forum discovered that their interference was coming from a neighbour's Freeview Box.
Have you followed all of the guidance on the speed issues thread at the top of this forum?

iqb043
Grafter

Was on 12mb then 10mb then around 7mb.
These are the modem sync speeds
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi iqb043,
I would suggest raising a fault here: http://faults.plus.net
Our Faults team can then investigate this for you and provide you with updates.
iqb043
Grafter

My router stats have defiantly improved (less errors). My upload speed was uncapped this morning which meant the router restarted. But that was after over two days uptime. My snr is on 15dB atm but that should improve as dlm catches up. Im going to see how it goes for 3 days and post back.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

To see changes, there will need to be a router resynch event.  If there is improvement to be had (lower SNRM at a faster synch speed without an increase in error rate) you will not see it if there is no resynch.

iqb043
Grafter

Could my snr for download be set to 6dB then please
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Your line is still in it's stabilisation period at the moment, this is due to complete on Sunday.
This means that DLM should make the necessary changes for you. At the moment, your Line Quality is still showing as 'Red' so it's not going to make any positive changes until DLM has seen your line error free for a day or so.
iqb043
Grafter

Thats fine thanks
iqb043
Grafter

Could someone have a look at my line please. The router just restarted after 2 days 4hrs uptime. Not sure if it was DLM, but was advised line training would end sunday. The snr on upload is 6 and download 15dB. My previous supplier was 9dB upload 6dB download.
I dont want anything changing atm if the line is still training
iqb043
Grafter

Looking at the router stats there are no fec errors being reported so i think it was dlm that disabled interleaving
Recieved this email this morning to
When you signed up for your broadband account, we performed a check on your telephone line to give you an estimated speed your line might achieve.
Now that your service has now been active for 14 days, we thought we'd let you know the speed as it stands today, by way of comparison.
Estimated line speed: 11.5Mbps
Current line speed: 6.8Mbps
You can keep a track of your line speed through our website:
No where near
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Your line is still in it's stablisation period, until Sunday.
Your line quality has improved from Amber to Green, so DLM will now be looking to reduce the SNR Target.