Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speed

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Slow speed

When convenient, follow the disconnect procedure.
Then unscrew the Master socket Front plate to expose the Test socket and if you can take a picture of the wiring connected to the back of that Front plate - be careful not to pull any wires out of it.
Also unscrew your extension socket from the box and photo the wires on the back of that, again be careful not to pull out any wires.
Can you also unscew the cover off that small white box where the BT cable comes in and take a picture of the connections inside.
Once you have all the pictures, put everything back together and connect up and power up and post the pictures.
BooYar
Grafter

just a quick post b4 work back to 8meg

DSL Connection
Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 6:43:47
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,208 / 10,872
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 14.5 / 25.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.0 / 13.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 33 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 4 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 4 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 12,245
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 1
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 1

Anotherone, Pictures will be up tomorrow, Sorry for the delay 2kids under the age of 3 and work has bogged me down abit this week.
Thanks
BooYar
Grafter

ok got abit late in the day but here's the pictures. I also changed the micro filter.
Anotherone
Champion

Hi there, no problem with the delay, the pictures are just the job. It also looks as though the Banding has been removed as your stats are much better.
When you have time, at the Master socket Face plate and the Extension socket there is an orange wire to remove.
As a precaution follow the Disconnect procedure I outlined before and then power down the modem/router.
The Orange wire is on terminal 3 and should be removed by gently pulling it vertically from the IDC connector. Try and grab the stub end of the wire as well as the main part so it pulls up as cleanly as possible. Be very careful not to disturb the Blue wires.
The Orange wire should then be neatly tucked back with the other wires that are not connected so as not to contact any of the terminals.
Remember to do this at the Master Faceplate and the Extension socket (not the small connector box!).
Refit the Faceplate and the Extension socket.
This Orange wire is called a "bell" or "ring" wire and is not needed in a Broadband situation. Most modern phones do not need this wire, they use only the two wires. For those phones that need a bell wire, this is generated locally in the filter. A bell wire in the main wiring "unbalances the broadband signals and picks up interference/noise which reduces the potential sync speed.
Before you turn on the modem/router, the wiring in the small white connector box needs some attention.
Using the correct cross-head screwdriver, just check that the screw on the top left hand terminal (on the white wire) is tight, don't force it, just comfortably tight.
Now the Orange wire on the top right hand terminal looks as though there is a bit of surplus bare wire to the left of the terminal and the wire looks a bit oxidised (dirty) in the picture. If this is the case, just slacken off the screw and remove the wire and clean it a little with a bit of fine sandpaper or gently scrape it with a small knife until it looks shiny. Refit it under the screw and tighten (not over tight) and just check it is firmly gripped.
Now the unused green and black wires should be tucked in the box so that little fingers can't pull on them. Just feed them down through the centre of the box just to the left of the central pillar and coil the ends in the bottom right hand corner.  Take a picture to post then refit the cover.
Check your phone line is working with the phone, and there are no crackles. If all is ok, power up the modem/router.
(Please note that the Orange and White wires in this incoming cable have nothing to do with the other orange wire that was on terminal 3,  it is just a different colour coding for the incoming cable).
BooYar
Grafter

a quick note to say that the last 2 days my BB is back down to  welp!!!
Anotherone i will be doing the wiring stuff tomorrow o7
BooYar
Grafter

Hello Anotherone, sorry for the delay.
I have cleaned up the wiring pictures as shown.
Latest:-
DSL Connection
Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 0:06:39
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,191 / 10,147 <<<<  but a speed test shows could i have been banded again?
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 15.0 / 25.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.0 / 15.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 1 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 1 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 1 / 0
Anotherone
Champion

That wiring looks much better and shouldn't be the cause of any problems in the future. My only other observation was, that in the 3rd picture in this post http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,104546.msg890604.html#msg890604 just make sure that the filter wire and connections to it aren't under any strain that may cause a disconnect.
You don't appear to have been banded, as that speed isn't the top of any of the bands. Because of the previous disconnect history the Target SNRM has gone up to 15dB, which is what will be limiting your current sync speed. The poor throughput speed may be due to a low profile as a result of the earlier low sync event.
If you run the BT Speedtest and post the results (it should show an IP profile of  around 8.94) and check your Current Line speed (login required) and post that, if the Current Line speed is low, Jojo should be able to kick it for you.
Providing your line looks stable for a few days, then you could post a request for an SNR reset.
BooYar
Grafter

Estimated line speed:
8Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2012-03-31 19:23:00
Current line speed:
2 Mb

Bt speedcheck Results
Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.81 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 8.95 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.96Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps
Thanks for looking
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi BooYar,
I've changed the profile on our side to 8900Kbps to allow for your new BT IP profile. This should take effect shortly.
Jojo Smiley
BooYar
Grafter

Thankyou.
I got a letter from you plusnet a few weeks ago about having up 2 20meg bb could we not up the profile so i receive this?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi BooYar,
Up to 20Mbps is what it says, 'up to' although some recent changes mean we now call our product up to 16Mbps. The speed you get depends on the distance from the exchange, as the broadband signal deteriorates over distance. it will also depend on the integrity of your internal wiring, so in order to get the best speed you should make sure you have the best possible set up.
I've run some checks on your line and I do think we may be able to increase your speed. At the moment, though, your SNR is at 15dB. On a good line this would be 3dB-6dB, so the fact that it's higher means your connections speed will be reduced in order to accommodate that. If we can find out what caused it to be 15dB then I could set it to 6dB and see what we get.
So, can you tell me if you're using any extension cables/sockets? Do you have a test socket you can plug into?
Jojo Smiley
Anotherone
Champion

Jojo, please read the last couple of pages of this thread - that is now all in order  Roll_eyes
What remains to be seen is if the connection is now stable.
BooYar, what I did forget to say in my last post was, leave your modem/router on 24/7 now for several days to see if things are now stable.
BooYar
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
Jojo, please read the last couple of pages of this thread - that is now all in order  Roll_eyes
What remains to be seen is if the connection is now stable.
BooYar, what I did forget to say in my last post was, leave your modem/router on 24/7 now for several days to see if things are now stable.

Yes Sir modem/router is perma on 24/7 thankyou o7