Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speed - line resistance

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Slow speed - line resistance

That's the trouble with this kind of fault, you can never be sure until the line is fixed. The modem/router might be iffy, you'll discover in due course.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi,
The estimated repair time for this is tomorrow, so I'll check again then and hopefully this will be rectified. I'll keep you posted.
loftybloke
Grafter

Fantastic, thanks.
Just out of interest, is this a fault with the exchange part of the line? Sorry to be ignorant, but I'd like to understand.
Thanks
Anotherone
Champion

What exactly does it say on the fault ticket? At a guess it's a bad or disconnected joint somewhere between your Master socket and the exchange.
loftybloke
Grafter

Fault Type:Noise
Test Results:Unbalanced cable
Again, apologies for being ignorant and thanks for the response
Anotherone
Champion

It's OK, I don't suppose anyone expects you or anyone else to be a knowledgeable tech!
I take it you are still connected to the Test socket. Do you have any fixed extension phone sockets?
Edit: minor typo
loftybloke
Grafter

Yep, straight into test socket.  It's the only phone socket in the house (that I've found - we haven't been there long) if that's what you mean?
Anotherone
Champion

Can you see the route that the incoming BT line takes into the house, is it overhead or underground? - Just in case there's another socket hidden away somewhere!
Have they asked for someone to be at the property tomorrow (I'm assuming from Chris's post) when the engineer is supposedly fixing the fault?
loftybloke
Grafter

No request for presence at the property.  I'll definitely check when I get home/in the morning for any obvious points of entry for the phone
Cheers
Anotherone
Champion

Will someone be around tomorrow, even if they haven't requested access, you never know, someone may turn up to run a test etc.
loftybloke
Grafter

No, we both work fulltime.
If an appointment had been made in advance, I might have been able to arrange working from home
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@loftybloke
FYI I've just checked the fault and can see a note has been added to show that a fault between the DP and exchange (ie outside of your premises) has been identified and should be worked on today.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
loftybloke
Grafter

Hi
Thank you for the update.
Is there any chance of some compensation for this issue? it has been ongoing to and fro with support since our house move in January.
Thanks
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

We're not compensated by our suppliers for downtime I'm afraid so we're not able to do that I'm afraid.  I totally appreciate you've mentioned there may have been problems since January but it looks like this hasn't been broached with us since between a fault raised towards the end of February and 25/4/13.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
loftybloke
Grafter

That's fine, it's always worth asking though I suppose Smiley
Just want to say thanks for you guys' support here on the forums, you've been great