Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speed - line resistance

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Slow speed - line resistance

When you have the handset plugged in dial 17070 and take option 2 - that feature is especially for checking for spurious noise on the line.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
loftybloke
Grafter

Not going to be able to pick up any hardware until Tuesday for various reasons.
Just wondering if this router will be suitable for Plusnet? It looks good for the price, but wondered if tehres anything in the config that might stop 'non plusnet' routers from working well with the line.
Thank you
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I think there may be a post gone missing  What modem/router are you talking about?
I've just re-read the thread and I can't understand why this is still appears to be being treated as a Broadband fault when it is clearly a Phone fault. The likely reason for your modem/router rebooting at random is because of this High Resistance (HR) fault. You've tried an alternative modem/router with similar results, which also shows it's not that causing your broadband performance issue.
If Plusnet have tested the line and found an HR fault - a bad joint somewhere - this is a line fault - then they have a record of the fault, so there is no way you should be charged anything, even if an engineer can't find a fault when they visit (a good engineer with his Hawk tester would be able to locate the likely places for an HR joint in any case). If you have a faulty line this will affect your broadband performance.
However line faults should be reported as a Phone fault. You should be able to confirm the problem as you should hear noise on the line with a phone.
As you pay Line Rental to Plusnet you don't get the run around between Phone & Broadband providers, so there should be no issue getting this dealt with as a Phone fault. You shouldn't at this stage need to be trying another modem/router - that would only be necessary if a broadband problem continued after the line was fixed.
You can also arrange for a Saturday appointment if needed. I would hope a DCT (Digital Care Team) member will pick this issue up on Monday, and confirm that an HR line fault was found and get this pursued as a phone fault and arrange a convenient appointment with you as required.
loftybloke
Grafter

Apologies, yes I've neglected to include a link to the router I am after today;
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9093575.htm
I'm also picking up a handset today so I can perform the other tests I've been advised to, and hopefully make some progress
njay
Grafter

The alternative model 8968 is £27 on amazon
loftybloke
Grafter

Good spot, the router I linked is also cheaper on Amazon, but I don't want to wait for delivery, so I'll stump the extra price.
Thanks
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

You may get offered a free 14 day trial of "Amazon Prime" with free next day delivery Cheesy
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi there,
As is was a support ticket that was raised and not a fault ticket it didn't go thorugh our automated testing/ . I've just tested your phone line as Another pointed towards and it's detected a external fault. I've raised this with our suppliers and will chase this up, as soon as I have an update I'll let you know.
loftybloke
Grafter

Hi Chris
Thanks for this, the ticket I had open with support wasn't going anywhere.
I've managed to grab both a new router and a corded phone handset so I can sort that out this evening.
Thanks
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

No worries, I'll check on this tomorrow and see how things are progressing.
loftybloke
Grafter

As an update to this - the corded phone handset I bought today has no dial tone and does not ring when I disk our landline number. I assume this is a symptom of the same issue?
This is the second handset I've tried with the same result, I assumed the first one just wasn't working but this proves its the line not the hardware I would guess
Thanks
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Definitely hold fire on a new router until after you've had an engineer to sort out the phone.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
loftybloke
Grafter

Got a new router today as the other one was rebooting fairly often. Got the receipt at any rate
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

As I explained earlier, the random rebooting will most likely be due to the line fault!
loftybloke
Grafter

Ah sorry. Must have missed that. Symptoms weren't repeated in a spare old router I checked which is what made me wonder