Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speed - line resistance

loftybloke
Grafter

Slow speed - line resistance

Hi
I have recently moved home (January) and when the broadband (plusnet) was initially connected, we were receiving on average 13mbps. Nowadays it is more like 7.5 on average (btwholesale speedtest says so).
Plusnet estimate my linespeed at around 17mbps, and they say the current speed matches btwholesale speedtest results at 7.5 (all my tests, and even my current connection are through the test socket under advice from plusnet).  I also tried to find out what my router noise is as advised in this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html
I've spoken to plusnet customer support on numerous occasions, and they have mentioned that there is high resistance on the line, but haven't been very helpful with what may cause this, and how I can improve it. They have however offered me some vague appointments with an engineer (pick three days and we will come morning or afternoon), which I'm not keen on wasting a holiday day on, especially after the first customer support phone call said that my router warranty would expire the next day and would request me a replacement but didnt and now i'm not able to request one.
The engineer will cost me £60 if there is any fault with my equipment (including the router).  The router is conencted to the phone socket with a cable of less than one metre in length, and my Pc is connected with CAT5 of roughly 20m in length.
Can anyone suggest anything for me to improve my speed, or whether i need to bite the bullet and get an engineer to visit? Is it worth buying a new router or is this not something that can be attributed to the router?
Thank you for any help you can give
73 REPLIES 73
loftybloke
Grafter

Re: Slow speed - line resistance

Further to the below, my router has started to reboot intermittently for no reason that i can discern.
Could my original issue be linked to my router which is clearly faulty?
I'd really appreciate any help anyone can provide, as the plusnet phone support haven't been very useful other than a vague engineer appointment which will most likely result in a charge
Thanks
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi there,
I've had a look over your connection and your fault that you had opened with us, you're certainly below what your line is capable of.
Have you managed to try an alternative router at all to see if there's any difference?
loftybloke
Grafter

Hello, thank you for getting back to me, was beginning to feel a bit frustrated by all this. 
Unfortunately I don't have access to a different router to try out short of purchasing one, which it looks like I may need to do anyway, as the one supplied by plusnet has begun to reboot at irregular intervals for no apparent reason.  Is there any way of finding out if I can get a replacement, or will i be charged?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

With the product you're currently on we could offer you a router on deferred terms, this would mean that as long as you have our services for a further 12 months there's no charge, if you were to leave then it's a £40 charge.
Alternatively you could opt for our Unlimited product that would give you the option of taking a new router although this would come with a new contract for the Unlimited product.
Both ways would incur a £5.99P&P cost.
Have you tried connecting into your test socket?
loftybloke
Grafter

Hi
I'm currently connected through the test socket and have been since first raising this issue.
I've arranged to borrow a router to test the issue tomorrow evening.  If this router returns a similar speed result what would be the next thing to try? Of course, if a new router solves the problem, we can consider whether to buy one or take a deferred cost from you guys.
Thanks
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Let me know how you get on with the other router.
loftybloke
Grafter

Hi
I've setup my old netgear router and the speed looks identical to previously.
Let me know next steps
cheers
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Can you post the DSL stats from the modem/router and any error figures along with the uptime if you can get them.
If Plusnet have tested the line and found a High Resistance fault then there really ought not be be a problem getting it resolved.
It's a bad joint somewhere on the line. Who do you pay line rental to?
Also, can you hear/have you heard any crackling or other noises on the line when using the phone? Have you had any problems with incoming or outgoing calls?
loftybloke
Grafter

Hi
I pay my line rental to plusnet. We don't have a handset as we have no use for the landline ( we both have contracted mobile phones) so I wouldn't know about any noise on the line.
If I knew where to get the stats you mention I would post them Smiley
It is Plusnet that have told me about the resistance on the line but their solution was to arrange an engineer visit, and the lady on the phone told me to make a choice of three days for an appointment and that I would be informed on teh morning of one of the days that an engineer would be visiting. I can't get time off that quickly through work so I'm rather stuck
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It's really important that you borrow a phone and check the line. There is no point chasing a broadband fault if there is a problem with the telephone line.
You could probably get a suitable phone to use for testing from Freecycle or a car boot sale for coppers. A corded phone is better than cordless for this purpose.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anotherone
Champion

Definitely a corded. You can buy a new cheap basic corded one from Argos for under £5.
Why don't you use your landline? You have inclusive Evening and Weekend calls upto 60 minutes long to UK 01/02/03 numbers, also 0870 and 0845 that aren't Service Providers or Indirect Access.
loftybloke
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
It's really important that you borrow a phone and check the line. There is no point chasing a broadband fault if there is a problem with the telephone line.

Found one in the loft which didn't give me a dial tone or anything, but I suspect that's because the handset wasn't working (maybe left in the loft by previous occupants).  I'll buy a handset whilst out tomorrow to test properly.
I'm not here to defend my telecommunication preferences, but if you insist - we both have free minutes on contract phones, and neither see the point of buying a handset to be on a call a metre from the plug socket, or shelling out for a wireless handset. Both reasons on top of nuisance calls and wrong numbers.
Anotherone
Champion

You don't have to defend your telecommunications preferences, some people aren't aware that they have inclusive minutes. It's certainly your choice. But to have a corded phone handy to keep a check on the line when needed is really a sensible thing to do.
loftybloke
Grafter

Thanks yes, I see that it'll be handy and they are cheap enough Smiley
Will post back tomorrow once we've picked up a handset