Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speed for last 3 weeks.

FIXED
Airport
Dabbler

Slow speed for last 3 weeks.

Around 3 to 4 weeks ago I have a stage where my broadband connection kept dropping out for about 3 days running. It was always the connection would drop and few seconds later it would come back again. This was very annoying but after 3 days the connection seemed to stabilise itself and I was getting no more drop outs.

However since that day my download speeds have been very low and show no signs of increasing. Before the drop outs happened I never had very fast speed with an average of around 3 mb/s but since the drops outs I have baerly reached 1.5 mb/s at best but with an average of around 1 mb/s.

Now I can't really do a lot of the normal tests suggested here due to way my computer and router are set up.

I have a desktop PC which it connected to the router via LAN cable as the PC does not have Wifi. This is in the sitting room where the PC and router are. Now the router is plugged into a phone extension which is in turn plugged into the master socket which enter the property in the kitchen.

So I can't move the route to the kitchen as I would not be able to connect it to the PC in the sitting room and I can't move the PC to the kitcheh as I would not be to connect it to the route and the LAN cable is pinned in place in the sitting room and runs under and behind several pices of big furniture.

So running tests with the route pluued into the master socket is out of the question.

Also I cannot fit a wifi card in this pc as 1 I don't have one and don't know anyone who has and I can't afford to go and buy one.

So the only test I have done is with a corded phone and I ran the 14040 Optin 2 Quite Line test on both the master socket and the extension and in both cases the line was dead quite with no noise what so ever.

So with all all the above info would it be possile for some to run a line check and see it there are any problems detected.

Please PM me or post here if you need any more info.

Thank You.

Keith Stokes.

PS Forgot to put my Plusnet account username in [Removed]

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Personal information removed from a public forum (to an area that staff can see).

10 REPLIES 10
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Re: Slow speed for last 3 weeks.

You are in a difficult position here...

1. For obtaining the best speeds a ‘standard’ phone extension will do you no favours at all
2. In the event that there is no phone fault found when tested, plugging the router into the master socket IS going to be a requirement to mitigate the risk of you picking up a £65 no fault found change from BTOR

For testing purposes and for obtaining the best possible performance it would be beneficial to purchase a long Ethernet cable so that you can plug the router in the master socket whilst keeping the pc in its current location.

An alternative would be to purchase Ethernet over power adapters - these plug into power sockets and enable you to put network connections wherever there is a power socket. However they are likely to be dearer than a WiFi card for your PC - see https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LW72OCR/ref=asc_df_B01LW72OCR54514292/?tag=googshopuk-21&creative...

In the meantime use the phone fault checker link below. Select any fault condition and run the line test tool.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Airport
Dabbler

OK thanks for the info I do have a second PC which does have a wifi connection set up in the same room. It is a lot older and slower PC but it will allow me to move the router to the master socket and connect via wifi. I will do this shortly and start the Broadband Fault checker tests. 

Airport
Dabbler

Further testing will have to wait and I will have to put up with the low speed for now. Old computer not working so have to get a WiFi dongle when I can afford it for my main PC.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Don't waste your money on a WiFi dongle. The only meaningful test is with the router located next to the master socket and an Ethernet cable between this and your PC. If you can't move the PC then buy an Ethernet cable long enough to go between the router and PC which you can temporarily use for testing. Example supplier of lengths up to 30m https://www.cablemonkey.co.uk/2977-cat5e-ethernet-cables

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Don't waste your money on a WiFi dongle. The only meaningful test is with the router located next to the master socket

That is a pejorative view - given that the user seeks to perform diagnostics and eliminate issues ready for a BTOR visit, anything spent on anything might (or might not) be perceived as a waste.  An ethernet cable (looking at the link provided) is going to cost markedly more than the wifi dongle the user says they are ill placed to afford.

The key requirement here is to eliminate the phone extension, which though asked about has not been confirmed to be (or not be) a standard D profile voice extension cable.  It is possible that the phone extension is high quality twisted pair, in which case so long as the bell wire (pin 3) is not connected, I would be less concerned about.

@Airport Do you has a smart mobile phone?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

I disagree that an Ethernet cable will cost more than a wifi dongle. I note that a 10m cable from the cited site costs £13 including postage, obviously shorter cables cost less.

The reason I think that a wireless dongle is not the best way forward is because one of the first actions when trying to identify problems is to eliminate wireless links.

Yes, I agree that if the current telephone extension cable is of high quality and there are no other spurs off the master socket then maybe there's little risk of the OP incurring a £65 BT callout charge, but I would not advise it without inspecting the arrangement.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Airport
Dabbler

I have ordered a WiFi dongle from eBay it only cost £3.99 and should be OK just so I can count out the telephone extension as being the problem. Like I said I did try a corded phone in both the master socket and on the extension and using 14040 Option 2 and in both cases, the line was silent with no noise what so ever.

The day that I started getting the drop out's which lasted for 3 days the telegraph pole from which my home line comes from did have an engineer working on it. Now don't get me wrong I am not saying he did anything to my line but he could have accidentally knocked something and not realized. This may well not be the cause but it seems funny that the dropouts started after he had finished and I have had slow speed since then.

Also, I do not own a smartphone.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Fix

Hi Airport, 

Line tests done on our side of things don't indicate any problems. In fact they show that you should be connected at speeds of about 4mbps. 

I definitely endorse the suggestions to connect the router closer to the socket with no extension and to use a longer Ethernet cable. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Airport
Dabbler

Well I don't know what has but I just tested my speed again and it has now returned to what it should be so I guess this thread can now be closed.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Hello @Airport,  Thanks for getting back to us.

We are happy to hear your speed is back up to where it should be. Please get back to us if you need any further assistance. -Sammy

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team