cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speed & random connection dropping

cihan
Dabbler

Slow speed & random connection dropping

Last couple of days my internet speed has slowed down. I can access websites, but downloading or streaming (Youtube, etc) is not possible, feels like I've been capped. I've tried a different microfilter and another socket, but no difference. Don't have a test socket. In the past the connection has dropped randomly, and comes back by itself or I visit the router's web page and restart it. Hasn't dropped the last couple days though (while I've been using it anyway), it's just really slow.
This speed problem is probably due to whatever is causing slowdown issues for everyone else lately, but I thought I'd post details in case something else is up, or if the big issue is resolved whereas mine continues. Would also appreciate an ETA on when things will go back to normal for everyone, as it's preventing many from getting work done.
Modem router is: Thomson Gateway TG585 v7: (used wirelessly)
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:  28.0 / 28.0
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 443 / 576
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 16.0 / 33.5
BT speed test:
Download speed: 0.45
Upload speed: 0.37
Ping latency: 57.88 (I tried the test again later and got: 252.33)
Plusnet line speed:
Estimated line speed:  Not recorded (service activated before we introduced estimates).
Current line speed: 0.5 MB (<-- that seems...low)
37 REPLIES 37
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Slow speed & random connection dropping

Hi there and welcome to the forum.
You have/had a line problem for some reason and the BT IP profile will be 0.5 which is why the Current Line Speed is 0.5. Your speed looks currently banded.
Can you run the Diagnostic Test at the BT Wholesale SpeedTester. Ignore the red pre-amble except make sure nothing else is using the Internet, and after the first result, Click Further Diagnostics at the bottom of the page, enter your phone number and run the test.
Just copy and paste the result - no need to capture the image.
Could you also post the full stats from your modem/router. Click View more and then Details.
Anotherone
Champion

Some more questions and checks for you.
Are you currently plugged into the Test Socket?
Do all your Microfilters look similar to this and is everything connected to the line plugged in via a Filter?
Can you hear any audible noise on the line when using the phone, or had any problems with incoming or outgoing calls?
Is your phone corded or cordless?
Do you have any hard-wired extension sockets, if so how many? Are you using any plug-in extension leads?
Have you changed anything on your installation recently?
cihan
Dabbler

Quote from: Anotherone
Hi there and welcome to the forum.
You have/had a line problem for some reason and the BT IP profile will be 0.5 which is why the Current Line Speed is 0.5. Your speed looks currently banded.
Can you run the Diagnostic Test at the BT Wholesale SpeedTester. Ignore the red pre-amble except make sure nothing else is using the Internet, and after the first result, Click Further Diagnostics at the bottom of the page, enter your phone number and run the test.
Just copy and paste the result - no need to capture the image.
Could you also post the full stats from your modem/router. Click View more and then Details.

Thanks.
Ran the BT test again:
Download: 0.45
Upload: 0.23
Ping latency: 129.13
Further diagnostics:
1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download speed achieved during the test was - 0.45 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.1 Mbps-0.5 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 0.51 Mbps
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.23Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.45 Mbps
My router details:
Uptime: 0 days, 7:38:45 (it's 0 days because I unplugged it earlier in the day)
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 443 / 576
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 2.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 16.0 / 33.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 28.0 / 27.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 35
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 19
cihan
Dabbler

Quote from: Anotherone
Some more questions and checks for you.
Are you currently plugged into the Test Socket?
Do all your Microfilters look similar to this and is everything connected to the line plugged in via a Filter?
Can you hear any audible noise on the line when using the phone, or had any problems with incoming or outgoing calls?
Is your phone corded or cordless?
Do you have any hard-wired extension sockets, if so how many? Are you using any plug-in extension leads?
Have you changed anything on your installation recently?

Far as I can tell, no NTE5 master socket installed in the property. The Microfilters are the same with two ports, one for modem and one for phone. No audible noise on the phone line, phone is connected through microfilter, and no problems with calls. I use cordless phone. I'm using extension leads for TV, PS3, etc. No changes in the property or installation, but have noticed a BT man working on something on the road, the last two days. Today, I checked the closest exchange who seem to have an amber alert for VP:  http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?exchange=Catford&exact=200&plugin=vp
Anotherone
Champion

The closest exchange won't necessarily be yours, you should put your phone number into the checker to be certain. Not that the VP status will be affecting your line anyway.
So how many socket have you got and which one are you current plugged into? And the filters look similar to the link I provided?
The extension leads for TV, PS3 etc. these are leads plugged into your modem/router LAN ports I assume. Are any leads plugged into the phone line apart from the phone and modem/router and are the filters plugged directly into the phone sockets?
cihan
Dabbler

There are five sockets, and the router is plugged into an upstairs one, the phone into one downstairs. The Microfilter is the same design from your link. The only thing plugged into the router is the power lead (plugged into an extension) and the cable that goes into the microfilter. Only the router and the phone are plugged into filters which are plugged into sockets.
adie:quote
Anotherone
Champion

So the extension leads are power leads, not especially interested in them.
Do you know hold old the telephone wiring is?
Is your connection still dropping or just slow? Did the problems definitely start only in the last 2 or 3 days when you noticed the BT vans around?
Have you had any problems previously? What sort of speeds did you get before?
cihan
Dabbler

Unfortunately don't know how old the wiring is. Connection doesn't seem to have dropped the last 48 hours, though I do remember it dropping sometime earlier in the week. The dropping has occurred sporadically for the last six to twelve months, but the slowdown in speed started earlier this week. I've only noticed the BT guys a few days ago though. As for the speeds I used to get, I can't say anything specific other than streaming was never an issue before, and pages loaded quickly. Last time I conducted a speed test was a long time ago, but I think when downloading I could reach something like 200KB/s. (which google tells me is 1.6Mb/sec)
Anotherone
Champion

Well can only hazard a guess at the moment without seeing a Connection chart (Visual Radius) to see how much the connection might have been dropping, but based on the information you've given it's likely that the BT work has disrupted your line giving you the very recent exceptionally poor speeds, but the sporadic connection drops over the last 6-12months is probably down to your internal wiring especially if 1.6Mbps is the best download speed you've achieved. A connection of your attenuation should achieve speed nearer 10Mbps is everything was ok.
Do you have a digital camera? You can attach a .jpg to a post by using the Reply Button below the last post rather than Quick Reply otherwsie click Preview, and then click on + Additional Options and Attachments... and browse to where you've saved the file.
If you could take a picture of your Master Socket, also unscrew it carefully from the box or wall and take a picture of the wiring connected to the rear of it. The picture needs to be clear enough to see the colours of the wires and the terminal numbers they are connected to.
Also take a picture of the BT incoming cable where it comes into the property.
cihan
Dabbler

Ok, after another extensive search I've discovered that the house has a total of 6 sockets, and one of them is a test one. Once I plug the router into it, what would you suggest I do? Another speed test?
I've attached a photo of what the regular sockets look like, and another of its inside.
Anotherone
Champion

Hi there.
Ah good, the picture of the wiring helps. At least the cable used it the the appropriate standard, just the bell-wire issue (I'll explain more later). Can you check all the other extension sockets and make sure the colours of the wires are identical and connected to the same terminal numbers.
If any seem to be a mystery, post a picture.
At the master socket, when you remove the lower front plate, if you could take a picture of the wiring attached to the back of it and post that.
With the plate removed, all the extension sockets should be dead. Can you go round with a phone and check each one.
Plug your phone direct into the Test socket and do the Quiet Line test 17070 option 2. The line should be silent, no crackling or other noises except perhaps a barely perceptible hiss.
Plug in a filter, the phone and the modem/router and take another set of DSL stats as soon at the modem/router has synced and post them when convenient. I'm not expecting a vast difference as the line seems banded, but it should highlight any other potential issues.
cihan
Dabbler

I've attached a photo of the test socket.
I plugged the phone into the test socket and phoned the quiet line test. It was quiet, with only a barely perceptible crackle/hiss.
I plugged the router into the test socket too, here are the results:
BT speed test:
Download: 0.51
Upload: 0.35
Ping latency: 43.38
Further diagnostic test:
Best effort test:
Download speed achieved during the test was - 0.51 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.4 Mbps-1 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 1.01 Mbps
Upstream test:
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.35Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.45 Mbps
Thomson Gateway router stats:
Uptime: 0 days, 0:05:10
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 443 / 1,152
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 16.0 / 34.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 28.0 / 26.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 7 / 0
Can you explain what banding is please? I appreciate your help, though I'm seeing other people on this forum reporting the same speed issues, do you know if Plusnet are going to provide an update soon? Thanks.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Banded profiles are applied by the DLM to improve connection stability and performance when it perceives a line frequently drops the connection or has a large number of errors if allowed to sync at higher speeds. More information can be found here. So banding restricts the download speeds, sometimes (as now) very severely.
The stats posted in your opening post suggest the 288-576kbps banded profile was applied then, but the DLM has changed to the 576-1152kbps band now with your sync speed (Bandwidth) at the top end of that range.
The cause of banding can be a wiring (or environment) problem within the home, or an external fault. The procedures Anotherone is helping you to follow are aimed at resolving any internal problems and by using the test socket, which isolates your own wiring, identifying if an external fault is apparent. Fixing any fault should allow banding to be removed restoring the full capability of the line.
My impression is that the problems you are currently having are not connected with the speed issues reported elsewhere.
Hope this explanation helps.
David
cihan
Dabbler

Interesting, thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.
If banding is indeed the cause for my problem, would the solution involve an engineer visit?