Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speed after "walled garden"

anniesboy
Rising Star

Slow speed after "walled garden"

I had a previous speed issue which was resolved.http://is.gd/k3JBEC
I have been getting a number of very short (6 seconds) disconnections ,although router lights remain green and steady.
On Monday the disconnection was for a longer time, and Plusnet Assist kicked in.I followed the suggestions which included a "walled garden" check and a reboot things seemed OK.
However my speeds have been dropping since then
Router stats today
I cant use test socket route as I dont have one ,my router is attached to an extension which is hard wired via a star connection.
I cant provide a BT test it does not work ,I do have latest Java.
Im wondering whether to reboot router again or wait to see if things improve.
10 REPLIES 10
Apprentice
Grafter

Re: Slow speed after "walled garden"

Hopefully one of the Staff will get back to you sometime soon, I'm still waiting for a reply to my post I made around 9.18am  Cry 
Anyway the downstream noise margin has been hiked up by BT's exchange equipment probably due to the disconnections or the fault causing them and this is restricting the downstream sync/connection rate.
If I was you I would power down the router and move it to the master socket (I know you've no TEST socket within it) and connect everything back up,
if you can unplug any other phones or whatever you have connected to any other extension sockets in the house so much the better. If possible leave the set up like this and see if the connection settles down/improves, this way if it does improve it could indicate an issue with the wiring set up you use.
The BT IP profile is an issue for later on once the sync/connection rate improves and the throughput doesn't.
It's always a good idea to switch on/reboot a router during the hours of daylight e.g. between 9.00am and 3.00pm to get a good sync rate/connection speed.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I'll pretty much echo Apprentice's post there, although you don't have a test socket you really need to move the router to the master socket and then check the line stats (the same ones you posted previously) to see if there is an improvement.
If there is then you may find it better to leave the router there and use a long ethernet cable or homeplugs rather than the phone extension.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
anniesboy
Rising Star

Thanks ,that would seem to be the issue,I moved the router. Speed went from 650 to 1700 kbps.
I forgot to take stats whilst in master socket.
I have now moved router back to secondary socket ,speed around 650 download ,upload is not affected as per earlier post.
Router stats are now from secondary socket
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I think a long ethernet cable will be your cheapest option, providing it can be routed without too much trouble. Smiley
anniesboy
Rising Star

Yes, I realise that. Trouble is it will mean two cables or one and a "switch". In my 100 year old house its possible but not easy.
Hence I'm inclined towards home plugs,  I will think about it.
Thanks for the advice.
anniesboy
Rising Star

Well I went down the powerline road,with router in my main socket. Unfortunately my speed remains poor.

my current router stats are as follows
anniesboy
Rising Star

I have now been able to complete a BT test ( I uninstalled java then reinstalled)
anniesboy
Rising Star

I seem to be getting no obvious disconnections, speed remains slow.  I have rebooted the router ,no improvement.
Where to go from here? See speed results and BT test above
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi anniesboy,
There's a fair number of dropped connections showing there, have you noticed that happening at all? It'd definitely be worth raising that to us through the troubleshooter at http://faults.plus.net, that'll take you through all the checks you need and may well help resolve the fault.
anniesboy
Rising Star

Thank you ,Ive noticed no drops over the past couple of days.I will go down the trouble shooter route.