cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speed, Service degraded badly over time.

devonrevill
Dabbler

Re: Slow speed, Service degraded badly over time.

Sorry forgot to give the model of the new router, a Netgear DGND3700.  Although its sort of irrelevant as I cannot get the BT test to get to the Tap3 test stage!
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

When the BT tests say to leave the password field empty what they really mean is the password field is ignored. So entering "test" (or anything else) is OK if the roouter won't accept the field being left empty.
David
devonrevill
Dabbler

Hi JoJo
OK my speed has returned to 3mb/sec this morning. At least its now usable again.
But I am still wondering why i had 1-2 years at 4.2Mb/sec and now I get 3Mb/sec - as of start of this year.  Why cannot I have my 4.2Mb/sec back?  3Mb/s is not enough for HD streaming, 4.2mb/s is.  I'd like my previous service level back still.
The BT test now runs without error.  Done 2 so far today, no request for a tap3 check yet.
Geoff
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Geoff,
I can see that your profile is now 3500. I would imagine that the next step would be to replace the 12ft cable from your attic, as that could have suffered degradation.
Jojo Smiley
devonrevill
Dabbler

Hi JoJo
Happy to replace that cable.  but I doubt that's the problem.  Until the BT test was changed it differentiated between upstream and downstream performance.
The performance from my home, even recently when I had all the problems, showed in excess of a 4Mb connection capability.  its from the PoP onwards that the performance degrades.
That makes it a Plus net configuration issue surely?
Geoff
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI devonrevill,
It's your sync that's low, which is your connection to the exchange, so wouldn't be our network. Also, make sure you buy a cable that's compatible for using with broadband.
Jojo Smiley