Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow problems?

sgn
Dabbler

Slow problems?

Im not very happy,
Well for starters I get download speeds of up to 200kb max -had been getting that dl speed for quite some time now, I didn't bother to post since now.
Also I have been experiencing High latency on VENTRILO which is impossible to communicate in when gaming. This also affects my Ingame LOSS & CHOKE which gives me a huge disadvantage whilst gaming.
I've now upgraded my broadband to the Gaming Package which could help me with the problems.
SpeedTester:
BT would regard the speed ranges shown below as normal service:
  For 250kbps End Users speeds between 50 - 250kbps.
  For 500kbps End Users speeds between 100 - 500kbps.
  For 1000kbps End Users speeds between 200 - 1000kbps.
  For 2000kbps End Users speeds between 400 - 2000kbps.

Im just not happy with my download speeds, and the problems I have been getting whilst gaming.
20 REPLIES 20
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Re: Slow problems?

Before anyone can really help you I think they'll ask you to do a BT speedtest and post your results here.
http://www.speedtester.bt.com/
sgn
Dabbler

Thats the results i got, check my first post
EDIT: I am experiencing download speeds of 13kb/s  now wtf ?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I dont know what check you did but a BT Speed test looks like this one I have just done

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 8096 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 7000 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 5885 kbps
If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.
If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.
Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

It doesn't look like you've done a BT test.  Use the link I gave you in my earlier post and carry one out.
sgn
Dabbler

I went ont he link you gave me
http://www.speedtester.bt.com/
entered my phonenumber and selected "go"  It then takes me to a testign page and then it brings me to the result page which shows this :S

The speed test has completed on test server speedtester1.nat.bt.com for user 02082****** and you have downloaded a 1.7Mb file at a speed of
90 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.
Your IP address is 87.114.**.**, your browser is reported as being Mozilla 5.0 and is running on Windows NT 5.2.
BT would regard the speed ranges shown below as normal service:
  For 250kbps End Users speeds between 50 - 250kbps.
  For 500kbps End Users speeds between 100 - 500kbps.
  For 1000kbps End Users speeds between 200 - 1000kbps.
  For 2000kbps End Users speeds between 400 - 2000kbps.
You may now disconnect from the speed test account (click 'disconnect' in your internet connection window) and if you wish to regain normal access to the internet please re-connect to your ISP using your usual username and password.
Please note that test results may vary according to varying traffic in the network. If you continue to experience slower throughput when logged in to your ISP, this may be due to a slow internet site or high traffic levels beyond the BT Wholesale Network. Please report this situation to your ISP's helpdesk.

:S
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I'm wondering if that's an LLU (Tiscali) connection?
MickKi
Grafter

Ha!  Looks like it and the download speed seems rather low.
Could you include your router stats?
sgn
Dabbler

Im not very good at computers/connection/line and w/e
So your sayign im connected throught a Tiscali line? if so then how can i get myself connected to the correct streamline
Router stats, Is this correct?
Modem
ADSL Firmware Version A2pB021.d17d
Modem Status Connected
DownStream Connection Speed 2272 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 288 kbps
VPI 0
VCI 38
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I don't think you are on Tiscali but it looks like you are on a 2M fixed speed service. However that should perform much better than you are seeing. So there is a fault somewhere.
The first stage is to identify whether the fault is internal to your property (wiring or hardware). I suggest you start by working through Jameseh's blog http://community.plus.net/blog/2007/07/02/broadband-speed-faults-how-to-diagnose/. That text is based on the assumption that readers are on an ADSLmax service which I don't think you are, but the principles described still apply. Whether your line is suitable for ADSLmax is something Plusnet staff should be able to sort out for you tomorrow.
Edit: fix truncation of link.
David
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

First thing is that you seem to be on an old fixed speed line.
Second you should report a speed fault as the BT test shows you are below the fault  level so you should raise a speed fault quoting the BT result
Edit - the link above doesn't work due to the silly shortening of the link - this is the correct one
artmo
Aspiring Champion

BT speedtester is playing up again tonight (what's new? )  It gets to 96% and then hangs.
MickKi
Grafter

I also think that you are on a fixed speed line - the router stats show your upstream/downstream attenuation and the noise margin.
sgn
Dabbler

Right, So who do I contact about this, and what do I say  Undecided I have no knowledge about these sort of things

And may i say, there is a BT exchange in my area.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Someone from Plusnet might see your post tomorrow and pick it up for you.  In the meantime give them a call now.  I've just checked and they only have 3 calls waiting.
Tel: 0114 296 5198  or  0845 140 0200