cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow internet speeds and IP in the USA on speed tests

utwizard

Slow internet speeds and IP in the USA on speed tests

I have very slow speeds of about 1mb upload and download and it is showing my IP to be in the USA on speed test.com with BT Americas can you please fix this as it is too slow to use for day to day living

6 REPLIES 6
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Slow internet speeds and IP in the USA on speed tests

Welcome to the forum. Try a different speed tester such as http://www.speedtest.net/ or https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest. I don't know (neither apparently does Google) who speed test.com is. They could be using an out of date DNS server.

If you really do have an IP address issue - see https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Feedback/IP-addresses-not-UK-Can-customers-please-report-any-p... then try switching off your router for an hour or so. With a bit of luck when you reconnect you will pick up a different IP address.

Either way I doubt this is connected with your experiencing slow speed.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

utwizard

its only at about 2mb download and 2mb upload I'm using an ethernet connection to the router and I have just turned it off and left it for a while and it is still saying that my isp is BT Americas with very slow speeds.

IP Address Country Region City
150.143.87.96 United Kingdom  England London
ISP Organization Latitude Longitude
BT Americas Inc Not Available 51.5085 -0.1257

Geolocation data from ipinfo.io (Product: API, real-time)

IP Address Country Region City
150.143.87.96 United Kingdom  Sheffield Sheffield
ISP Organization Latitude Longitude
British Telecommunications PLC BT Americas, Inc (bt.com) 53.3830 -1.4659
Baldrick1

This is a total red herring. the location is shown as London. It's simply that the IP address has been transferred from BT USA at some time.

What speed should you be getting? Put your phone number in here and report the result, having hidden you phone number.first

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s_cid=ws_furls_adslchecker

Moderator and Customer

utwizard

I don't have a phone number with my internet package but here is the info about the address 

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 17--10 to 19.5AvailableADSL MaxUp to 7.5--6.5 to 8AvailableWBC Fixed Rate2----AvailableFixed Rate2----Available

Baldrick1

You don't have a phone number or you don't use it? I never realised that you could have ADSL broadband without a phone number. Alternatively are you getting your phone line from an alternative LLU company rather than Plusnet? What happens if you plug a phone into your master socket, do you get a dial tone? If so what happens if you ring 17070. This normally tells you your number.

Moderator and Customer

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @utwizard,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with your speeds. I'm afraid I haven't been able to locate your account with us today, so I haven't been able to test your line for any potential issues. So that we may do this, please could you send me a private message across including your account username?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team