Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow internet speed

FIXED
abc123
Hooked

Slow internet speed

I have been having slow download speeds over the last week or so.

Previously it was around 7Mbps, now it is at less than 1Mbps. I have swapped over the microfilter and changed the DSL cable to see if the speed improves. It did not improve.

Upload speed is normal at around 1Mbps.

Can you assist?

6 REPLIES 6
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Slow internet speed

@abc123  If you would like help from the community, a good starting point is to have a look at This post and supply as much detail from it as possible.Sight of the HelpDesk page, under the Troubleshooting tab on your router homepage - with personal information redacted - is very useful.

It would also be a good idea to carry out a 'Quiet Line Test' - dial 17070 from a (preferably corded) phone and select option 2 - there should be no discernable noise. If there is, report a phone fault first, as without a clear phone connection, your broadband will not perform correctly.

It may be an idea to also report your lines capabilities - please post your results from THIS site, but ensure your phone number is obscured/hidden.

If you reply to this topic with as much detail as possible, there are plenty of experienced members who can advise on possible remedies.

If you decide to also post on the Twitter/Facebook accounts and get a response from there, please come back here and say so.

John
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hi there, thanks a lot for reaching out and I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems with your connection. your Community Profile is linked to two accounts on our end. Please send me a PM with the username of the account in question and I'll be more than happy to have a look. Smiley

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
abc123
Hooked

Hi,

I have sent you a PM with my details.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Fix

Hello @abc123

Thanks a lot for providing me with the details, just seen your PM.

Anyway, tests on your line appear to show that there's a loop fault on the phone side of things. Please contact your phone line provider and ask them to run some checks on the line, they should be able to identify it. Smiley

Copper Line Test
Circuit ID:   Service ID:  
Telephone NO.: NA Test Executed On: 10-09-2021 13:00:50
Test Outcome: FAULT - Loop (Rectified) DTR: T024
Copper Test Details
  A to E B to E
Capacitance: 81 NanoFarad 81 NanoFarad
DP Line Length Estimate: 647 Metres DN Line Length Estimate: 1122 Metres
Celerity: 20 dB Line Loss: 13.51 dB
Line Stability:  
Fault Report Advised: Y
Service Level: 2
BRAGOutcome: Out of Sync
Faceplate: Cannot Be Detected
 Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
abc123
Hooked

@adam945 

As suggested, I contacted BT with the informaiton you provided below regarding the loop fault.

The OPENREACH engineer visited and advised that a cable in the box outside my property had corroded. This caused a DLM cap on the line (to 1Mbps max) and it is the reason for the recent slow download speeds.

The corroded cable has now been replaced the download speeds has been restored.

The DLM cap is normal for this type of issue.

Thank you for your assistance with this.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us @abc123

I'm glad to see an engineer's managed to fix the cable fault for you and get your speed back up to where it should be.

Let us know if there are further issues or anything else you'd need help with.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet