cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow internet speed

Gh2

Slow internet speed

I understand, due to the current situation, that there is increased demand for internet use but our internet has been unbearably slow for the last week. We can’t stream TV and even sending a message through WhatsApp can take up to 7-8 minutes to send. We had internet issues before the pandemic, slow upload times and when streaming TV it would buffer and stop. We have to keep resetting the TV and router to make it work again. I’m wondering if it’s the area we live in or do we need to buy a better router? Or are we missing something else?
5 REPLIES 5
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Slow internet speed

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Chat to ADSL Broadband 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
wotsup
Seasoned Champion

Our internet speed had slowly but surely reduced in the 18 months we were with plusnet,  then they sent me an email that my contract was up for renewal - I rang 'sales' back and complained that my speed was really bad ( <20 down and about 0.3 MBps up ) - i could have understood it if had been just recently with increased internet use due to lockdown,  but this had been happening way before that happened - almost a linear drop over 12 months or more.  I opened a complaint on plusnet - did the BT Wholesale speed test and results pretty much what the uswitch one had been telling me,  just over 20 down and 0.3 up,  they sent an engineer ( BT ) and we conversed through a downstairs window - I could get the router out of the window and had a long ethernet cable that would reach one of our computers.  He checked connections in box on outside wall and found nothing,  did checks on wifi and agreed speed was low, then suddenly speed increased bck to what it was when I first joined plusnet,  >60 down and 15 up.  The engineer was very surprised as he had found no faults at our end - his comment was 'maybe plusnet did something at the exchange '.   Anyhow our speed has now been pretty stable for a month,  but I am doing a speed test at least once a week and saving the results,  I am wary that plusnet may start throttling speed back down as contract progresses and I want evidence - The worrying thing was that BT engineer found no faults - I have renewed 18 month contract with plusnet but I reckon if I have evidence speed is dropping regularly ( and they are indeed throttling at exchange ) I can use that to cancel contract early - no shortage of broadband providers in our area.

vernony

Me two . I have just migrated to Plus Net from EE and the broadband service has dropped considerably I is almost impossibly slow and hangs for ages .The wifi connection shows all four bars are solid and the new hub is in the same place as where the EE  hub was . My mobile keeps dropping connections and Net Flix would not even load this morning 

Last night I checked a broadband check and go a down load of 25.6 and an upload of 6.45 this morning I have checked three other BB speed testers U/switch, off com, Talk Talk. All give a download of between 25.76 to 24.68 and uploads of 6.45 and 4.9 .

I seem to remember in the blurb that I could  expect speeds up to 36 mbs and it should never drop lower than 30 mbs, can't get them on the phone. If this is indicative of the service that they are providing I need no part in it  

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Together with our network partners at Openreach we are prioritising customers who don’t have a phone line or broadband connection, meaning there might be a delay in Speed Faults being fixed. In the meantime, please raise your speed fault online at faults.plus.net.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Gh2

I have looked through the ADSL trouble shooting, took a screen shot of the bt wholesale speed test and it said DL is 11.17 and UL is 0. We have also ran the diagnostics but it said there were no performance problems with our service. The internet keeps dropping out constantly, day and night. We even get messages on our devices saying no connection to the internet so it must be something else? I also couldn’t get the line stats for the router either. Please help us resolve this, it’s annoying because this has been the problem since we took out our contract in September 2019.