cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow iPad speed

PHP123

Slow iPad speed

I have good speed of 15 MBPS plus on home pc and about 7 on iPhone, but it’s rubbish on iPad- sometimes less than 1 MBPS, never more than 2. I hooked up to Wifi  at work (not Plusnet) and it was 7MBPS or more, which suggests something strange is going on with Plusnet and my iPad only. I’m baffled - any suggestions welcome! It’s an iPad 6 so relatively new. Thanks for help!

7 REPLIES 7
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Slow iPad speed

Welcome to the forums, @PHP123 . I can't make much of a suggestion, to be honest, but the speed drop on your iPad will have nothing to do with Plusnet. What router do you have, and how far away from it when using the iPad?

For comparison, I have an iPad and iPhone and they both work at close to my normal speed when 30-40 feet away outside, but default to 3G/4G  beyond that distance.

John
PHP123

Thanks for your help Jab1. The router is Plusnet’s and only two months old. Standing over the router I have just speed tested at 2.6. The iPhone however is 8mbps. I use Devolo WiFi extenders and wondered of it’s to do with that, but again the iPhone is fine and the iPad only has the issue. Any further ideas? I wonder if it could be something to do with the iPad’s settings? Thanks!

jab1
Legend

To be honest, @PHP123 , it can only be the iPad. The router you have doesn't have the best of Wi-Fi capabilities, but it is obviously OK for the laptop/phone, the iPad should be no different.

Out of curiosity, how old/new are the Apple devices?

John
PHP123

iphone 8, ipad 6 (both about a year old). Think I'll try Apple - I agree it sounds like it's something to do with the iPad but many thanks for your help.

jab1
Legend

OK, so not old & slow (like my iPhone 5 😁 ). I think you're going in the right direction by asking Apple.

John
PHP123

Found the solution from a YouTube vid; switched off Bluetooth and hey presto! Download speed went straight up from 1.5mbps to 17. Hope this helps anyone else having the same issue. Simply toggle off Bluetooth and see what happens.

Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

@PHP123 You might want to mark your post above as a fix, so others looking for a similar solution can find it easier.