Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow downloads from Xbox Live Marketplace :(

warpkid
Grafter

Slow downloads from Xbox Live Marketplace :(

Hi There,
Been with plus.net a little over a week and in that time has has no problems so to speak (its been good in fact!) aside from the fact that downloads from the xbox live marketplace seem to take forever!
For instance tonight I begun downloading Shadow Complex (830meg) at 17:30 and it is now at 99% - its taken almost 4 hours!
Running the standard tools (internet speed test etc) show no problems - in fact everything else seems nice and smooth. Xbox Live video streams fine as well.
Just wondered if anyone else has noticed this and if there was anyway to....speed things up.
PS - I am assuming its not a problem with xbox live itself as no one else has mentioned any problems with the service as of late.
Cheers
7 REPLIES 7
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Slow downloads from Xbox Live Marketplace :(

Hi,
    are you still in your ten day trial period?if so
see how it goes after your ten days and when your line becomes more stable,also you should try doing your big downloads from 12am-8am as you will get full line speed during the off peak and its free usage time,also note that if your on plusnet unlimited then your xbox will do no more than 2mb,or get too the pro package for full line speed at all times.hope this may help you.cheers. Smiley
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
SparckZero
Grafter

Warpkid,
I regularly use the XBL Marketplace and the performance can vary quite drastically. It's annoying that there's no download speed indicator! I would guess that with today's release of the Lost Planet 2 co-op demo that the Marketplace is going to be bogged down with people downloading it - that could be why your download was running slow. Thinking about it, when the 1vs100 Beta went live earlier this summer, it took me almost 30 minutes to download the 50mb file!
I'd be tempted to say that if your internet connection in general is working fine, and you can stream stuff from Xbox Live without problem, there's probably not a right lot Plusnet can do about it - it's probably just the Marketplace being slow.
On an additional note, I'm not sure how Plusnet categorise downloads from XBL Marketplace. Based on this (old) post I would guess it's categorised under the "Download Sites" category. Maybe someone from Plusnet could confirm if this is still the case?
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

We have a signature for Xbox Live MarketPlace traffic which will put the traffic into the download sites catagory and in the gold queue (except Broadband Plus), so the performance should match the rate limits published for download sites. Of course the speeds are also dependant on the source as you note.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
warpkid
Grafter

Thanks for the feedback guys,
I don't have a problem with marketplace content been classes as download site traffic, if it means that streaming etc remains smooth Smiley
With my previous ISP (o2 access package) I couldn't even stream an video from live in the evening. It would literally take 5 minutes to buffer around a minute.
Just nice to know its not my connection Smiley
(Just have to leave my demo downloads to take place overnight)
warpkid
Grafter

By the way - you ever want to reclassify marketplace downloads as 'download servers' then be my guest!  Smiley
Seems more logical as well.
livelee
Grafter

Currently trying to download the forza 3 demo.  Speed is terribly slow.  I'm on an old legacy premier (i think) package.  The speed my 360 is pulling according to my router is 60k/sec so that's being limited to 512k.  Why is this?  Surely it could be put into a higher priority?
livelee
Grafter

This is me: https://portal.plus.net/support/broadband/products/archive/bb_premier2.shtml so yes 512k.  There is no way xbox should be classed the same as a download site.  I can't see it generating half as much traffic as a normal site would from plus.net customers.