Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow download, upload...everything

rogadodge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Slow download, upload...everything

Just aq quick addendum
my test results. not so much on and aoff as defibrillating.

DSL Connection
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:13:35
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 14,489 / 2,172
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 446 / 1,976
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 1.11 / 2.85
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 20.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 29.5 / 46.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 5.5 / 6.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 161 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1,048,563 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 2,686,952 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 36 / 911
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 303 / 3
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

just looked at BT availability site, and checked my number. These are the results....
Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 1Mbps. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 2Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1.5Mbps and 4.5Mbps.
Our initial test on your line indicates that your line may not support a reliable ADSL2+ broadband service, with current technology. However, an order for 250Kbps broadband speed will still be accepted, but an engineer may need to visit who will, where possible, supply the service.

This, to me ( the uninitiated), seems to say that the line is not reliable. am i reading this wrong? I am clutching at straws here.
WWWombat
Grafter

The wording they use is certainly enough to lower your expectations of a quality line, that is for sure.
BT's DSL checker seems to have gone even more conservative this week, and this message is in line with that. And I always wonder whether they temper that message by actual experience of the line - so if you are experiencing problems, then the "predictor" tells you some pretty dire numbers.
Your router stats seem to keep giving a downlink attenuation figure of 46 - 49dB. Kitz's speed calculator suggests that this will give you a maximum line speed of around 5000kbps on ADSL or slightly more on ADSL2+. Irrespective of BT's conservative message, I can't help but feel that you should be doing a bit better than you currently are - and of course, it should do that without the disconnections.
My parent's line has attenuation of 47dB and a speed of 5500. The Kitz figures are indeed in the right ballpark.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

Well, still got low speed, bad connectivity and an open ticket since 7th december when i was told to expect some help from very good hand in 48-72 hrs. 11 days now. Is everyone using the new help assistant? do I have to start a new ticket?
Seems, that to keep the figures good in the customer satisfaction surveys, the idea is to 'fix' the easy ones. leave the hard ones so people migrate. Or that is the way i am feeling.
Angry Angry Angry
magnetism2772
Grafter

hi rogadodge
if its a consolation , due to the weather , i defrosted the car and also my telephone line
my  router stats are up and down , cheer up as we are in this together
if you get a fix , i 'll apply  myself
best wishes for christmas
magnetism2772
Grafter

geesh  i think the house roof is ready to  cave in here under the weight of snow
the house is creaking and its noisy everywhere
by the way i won a £200 ladbroke bet on snow coming  again hmmm
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

Lucky you on the win. Get a hose on the snow, that will get it off the roof ( though it won't make you popular with the neighbours  Wink ).
I have just bought a new phone ( thats number 3) in an attempt to aid my problems. I am getting paranoid that it is my phone causing problems, and I have no way of checking because i don't have a test/engineers socket to plug the modem into.
Anyhow, here are the latest Kitz results. Ok , only running a few minutes - but i have made several calls  whilst connected to see if I can mess things up with the phone.  All seems ok so far , to me anyway. Anyone give me some insight into the results please, as i am not really sure what I am looking at. Just that the errors are a lot less than before.
Uptime: 0 days, 0:07:24
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 16,455 / 2,468
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 446 / 2,904
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 1.33 / 3.50
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 20.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 28.5 / 45.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 7.5 / 4.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 15 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 53,805 / 137,058
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 3,971 / 653
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 32,677 / 5,615
magnetism2772
Grafter

I'm not going out to hose the roof off rodga
I cant  speak about your phone, i can only say plug it in until  the cavalry  arrive  monday if they can get in to work
but i can say invisible demons are real
magnetism2772
Grafter

oh I've spotted something casually your  down stream SNR margin(4dB)  is too low and needs increasing upwards
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Giro, quick response.  I have the new phone plugged in already, was just wondering what the kitz results looked like with the new phone. As in whether there are any obvious problems. This means I have spent over £150 on telephones in 3 months but I want to get this sorted and I am trying to eliminate any and all causes of my problems from my end.
As for the invisible demons are real.... I'll have whatever you're having... Smiley
magnetism2772
Grafter

id say rodga
your speed is banded due to a low SNR it needs resetting and the line retrained
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

How do I resett or improve the SNR or is it up to PN?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Sorry to spoil the party but
Banding does not cause a low noise margin - it causes a high value as it restricts the downstream speed
Retraining isn't going to help until the underlying problem is fixed
It is likely that you line resynched with a 6dB noise margin and it dropped to 4dB as it got dark
magnetism2772
Grafter

banded in that (his speed is so far away from what it could be
and something is keeping it like it )
magnetism2772
Grafter

i'm not able to answer why but with that low SNR it looks like a clear line but isnt