cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow connection

sparkalfa
Grafter

Slow connection

Over the past few months my connection has been reporting high 16mbps but recently it has dropped to low 12's should I report a fault?
Physical Connectivity OK
DSL Connection
Link Information
Uptime: 31 days, 8:43:24
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1.263 / 20.807
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [GB/GB]: 1,99 / 1,99
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,5 / 0,0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 11,2 / 21,5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6,2 / 3,3
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 15.250 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 526 / 19.485
HEC Errors (Up/Down):
10 REPLIES 10
Chad

Re: Slow connection

Wow - my speed was 2 - 4 & now its less than 1 Tongue
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: sparkalfa
... should I report a fault?

I say Yes.  Before doing that you might want to check those error figures, see if they're still clocking up.  Also the normal on site checks, different filter, plugged into master socket with everything else disconnected etc.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I really don't think that number of errors over 31 days is going to be the problem. I suppose you'd have to report a "slow speed" fault, and use the BT Speedtester further diagnostics to log the speed test results - but don't bother rebooting the Technicolor 582n before running the test. I wouldn't be surprised if the outcome ends up as the speed being within the acceptable range (because the acceptable throughput range is enormous).
There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with your ADSL connection to the exchange. Perhaps the exchange is busier with lots of people being home for the holidays or something like that.
Edit: sigh, missing don't
sparkalfa
Grafter

Thanks for the replies
I will try a reboot  and then test again BT speed tester is reporting the same speeds and says may profile is 18Mbts  and the acceptable range is 4 to 21!!!!
Oddly I have noticed that since I've had the slower download speeds my upload speeds have gone up from 0.6 to 1.2 is that significant?
Thanks
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

I would avoid rebooting the router.  As ejs stated, there is nothing wrong with the synch (ADSL) speed, rebooting the router once will cause no problems, doing it repeatedly is going to cause the DLM to take action you don't want.
"Slow" when and by what measure?  Time of day and service used to measure DATA speed will have a marked bearing on the reported figures.  Can you please do a full BTw speed test, further diagnostics and report the PlusNET current speed - see link below.  Do not restart the router for these tests.
Which router are you using?  If not the 2704n then setting up a TBB BQM will be helpful.  If you have a dynamic IP you will need to re-establish it after each new PPP session, but it will show clearly if there is congestion in the exchange.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

sparkalfa
Grafter

"Slow" when and by what measure?  Time of day and service used to measure DATA speed will have a marked bearing on the reported figures.  Can you please do a full BTw speed test, further diagnostics and report the PlusNET current speed - see link below.  Do not restart the router for these tests.
It's slow I think because for the last 6 or so months I have Been getting 17mbs consistently now It  is only low 12's
Plusnet results:
Estimated line speed:
18Mb (This may vary between 16.5Mb and 20.5Mb) - Checked on 2015-10-06 09:10:56
Current line speed:
18.3 Mb
I will do a BT wholesale test shortly and post results
Just for info there are no pc's I. The house it's all Mac if that makes a difference
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Starting to sound like it could be congestion. If you can set one up a TBB BQM would be helpful. However it will not work with the 2704n router.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

sparkalfa
Grafter

BTW Results

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download  Speed
12.73 Mbps

0 Mbps 21 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 12.73 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 18.36 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.
Upload Speed
0.98 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.98Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

sparkalfa
Grafter

Set up a bqm graph but i don't think it is working I have the plustnet supplied router a technicolor 582n i think. The graph has 1 red line on it but nothing else
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

You need to set the router to accept WAN pings - sorry but from here I cannot get you a link to the router setting.