cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow broadband

JMD20

Slow broadband

An engineer came out today and found various issues, citing too many T-junctions, Wi-Fi in wrong place and most importantly that exchange block on the road had flooded, saying that when he opened it, water just poured out. He fixed that and moved our master socket to the lounge. Very helpful. Ran a test before and after all of this and said that before we were getting download speeds of 3mbps and after 32mbps. Great! Except after an hour or so I ran a speed test and our speeds were back down to between 0.7mbps and 3.45mbps over the next couple of hours. This is even worse than before he came out! Can anything be done as it seems all his hard-work is wasted if the speeds are even lower.
5 REPLIES 5
MMG
Dabbler

Re: Slow broadband

Do you have any extensions on the circuit?

Assuming that it is an older master socket, have you tried removing the faceplate and plugging your router into the test socket with a filter?

Although I suspect that if you have already had a recent engineer out that he may have swapped your master socket too?
JMD20

Hi, thanks for the quick reply. There are no extensions, and the engineer moved the master socket and to do so put a whole new socket in place.

MMG
Dabbler

Sounds like an issue on the line. All I can think of is to ask Plusnet to get in touch with BT Openreach. Perhaps it is the cable from the pole to.your house?

I think I am a good few miles away from the street cabinet as I have FTTC and I only get about 20mbps down and about 5 mbps up.
JMD20

I thought that would be sorted today as he found a fault on the line but said he fixed it at the exchange box. My dad also thought the cable may need replacing. It’s an overhead line from the top of a pole to the house and I suspect it’s been there a good while and where we live is quite exposed to the elements. I’ll have to give them a call back and say it’s not helped.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts
MMG
Dabbler

If you have no extensions and no other devices plugged into the socket (I would also unplug the phone just to make sure) then it must either be a faulty router/modem, faulty socket (but that was replaced I doubt that), or as you said a faulty wire from the pole.

It is then the property of BT Openreach and as such if Plusnet say you should get faster broadband speeds (check their What speed should I get on their website) then it is up to Plusnet as your provider to get it sorted.

Please let us know how you get on.