Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow broadband speeds, and high ping

jackandflossi
Hooked

Slow broadband speeds, and high ping

Hi everyone,

I'll try to explain my current issue as best as I can. I am a very competent IT user, however not too great at finding out what the hell is going no with my connection!

I have recently swapped from Sky Broadband, to Plusnet. The download speed is about the same as it was with Sky, perhaps a little slower which is a tad depressing, but for the price..I don't mind too much.

My main issue here is that I am a gamer on my PC. On my old Sky connection, I could play a game, for example, League of Legends or Counter Strike, have Youtube running, aswell as my partner in the living room on her phone or on catch up TV.

However, now, whenever I am playing a game, I have to shut down all my web browsers, and disconnect my devices from the Wifi, my partner leaves her phone on, however if she is doing something simple like scrolling through Instagram, my ping in game rockets up to about 300-500, and it is infuriating.

I'm not sure where to begin in trying to fix this issue, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
Jack

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Slow broadband speeds, and high ping

Hi Jack.

Welcome to our community forums.

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing connection problems.

Testing your line is showing your router in sync at just over 1.5mbps which is less than what we'd expect as from your estimated speeds it should be within the region of 3mbps to 7.5mbps.

Apart from drops in your connection last week, our tests aren't finding the cause of the problem.

I'd recommend making sure we've ruled out any potential internal wiring issues by going through the steps here and if you still experience problems, I'd head on over to http://faults.plus.net to report a fault to us.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jackandflossi
Hooked

Hi Anoush,

Thank you very much for your response. However I didn't get very far trying to follow the instructions. I have attached an image of what I found when I detached what I assumed was my master socket which Sky set up and changed the faceplate and also provided a little adapter for.

Is this normal?

Caerefail
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

That looks as if the front plate is missing off the socket. It is the master but the test socket should be there straight on the front with a front cover into which you normally plug. The attached doc may help.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hello @jackandflossi

Thanks for providing an image there. It looks like you have gone one step further than we needed. Please screw the box back on to the wall and you will see a test socket on the front, where you microfilter will fit.

Once in connect your router and re-run the wired speed test. If this is still be low your estimates, please raise the fault here, and let us know how you get on. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
jackandflossi
Hooked

Thanks for the reply!
I guess I got hold of a screwdriver and got overly excited. Im at work at the moment, but when I get home i'll unclip the front plate off the wall and try the socket there.

On a side note, I do not own a landline phone, or plan on ever owning one. Should I not use a microfilter in this case? And plug straight into the socket?

Thanks,
Jack
jackandflossi
Hooked

Thanks for your reply, i unclipped the front myself then unscrewed the thingy from the wall. I didnt really know what I was doing.

I think i understand what I have to do this evening so we'll see!
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

No worries Jack.

Should I not use a microfilter in this case? And plug straight into the socket?

The shape of the test socket won't accept the cable direct from your router, so you'll need to plug that cable into the micro-filter first and then the micro-filter into the test socket.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on tonight.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet