cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow broadband speed any help appreciated at my whits end

amybuckler

Slow broadband speed any help appreciated at my whits end

So I have been having this issue for around a month now. Previous to this I have had no issues at all.

Internet speed via cable and WiFi is up and down like nobody's business. One minute it can be running at around 12mbps via ethernet, next minute it will drop to 5. Wifi the same.

I have spent more time on the phone to the support line than I care to admit to. They have run numerous tests on my line and say that it is ready at a consistent  21-24 which would be great if that was what I was receiving through the router. They have sent an engineer who has also confirmed this in my property. I've changed cables, had a new router sent out to me, changed to a non Plusnet router just to see, have changed settings channel etc within the router and it is still doing exactly the same thing. Support line have said that they are not willing to assist me any further with the matter but I just don't get what is going so wrong. How can it read 21mbps at the box, but only around 10 when through their cables, their router, the ethernet cable they have sent me directly into my laptop using their speed testing resources. I have even sent the results to them through the BT tool which showed a reading of 11 but they still will not help me! Any help would be appreciated. All they keep trying to do is sell me fibre broadband but cannot tell me why this is happening or whether fibre would fix the issue so why would I?

3 REPLIES 3
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: Slow broadband speed any help appreciated at my whits end

@amybuckler  Welcome to the forums. Plusnet staff support, like the phone service, is still severely restricted. If you would like help from the community, a good starting point is to have a look at This post and supply as much detail from it as possible.

It would also be a good idea to carry out a 'Quiet Line Test' - dial 17070 from a (preferably corded) phone and select option 2 - there should be no discernable noise. If there is, report a phone fault first, as without a clear phone connection, your broadband will not perform correctly.

If you reply to this topic with as much detail as possible, there are plenty of experienced members who can advise on possible remedies.

If you decide to also post on the Twitter/Facebook accounts and get a response from there, please come back here and say so.

John
amybuckler

Hi John,

In answer to the link the broadband operates the same irrelevant of whether on Wifi or Ethernet. I have tried laptops, desktops, different ethernet cables, different ports. It still picks up and drops out all of the time. I am getting nowhere near the 21-24mpbs that is being read at the box.

It can read anything as low as 5mbps download at certain points and can completely drop out all together.

The BT wholesale speed test we ran showed it running at 11 on cable. There is no noise on the line and the engineer increased something to do with the sound resistance on the line from 3-6 but other than that he could not see any other issues.

Hope that helps?

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Thanks for that information, Amy, but in order for other customers to help you, we really need sight of the details asked for in my linked post - especially the details requested, but ideally a screen-shot of your routers DSL connection data - I assume you have  a Hub Zero, in which case I understand that can be found somewhere on the trouble-shooter page, but as I don't have that router, I am not entirely sure.

If you do find it and can get a shot, please remove any personal details before uploading it.

I probably won't get back to you tonight, but the sooner you can get it uploaded, the more chance I will have to look at it early tomorrow.

John