cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow broadband speed after phone line fault fixed

nudger

Slow broadband speed after phone line fault fixed

Hi
I'd be grateful for some advice. We've had a couple of telephone line faults over the 7 months that we've been with Plusnet and after each has been fixed, I've phoned up customer services to do the necessary 'reset' that has allowed the broadband speed to climb to it's pre-fault speed again.
On the previous two occasions, this has happened almost instantly - the last time, the speed-test showed normal speeds again whilst I was still speaking to them on the phone (from my mobile).
On this occasion, I have been told that it can take up to 48-72 hours for the speed to climb again and, consistent with this, at the moment, the speed hasn't budged yet (9 hours later).
So my question is: was it just luck on the previous two occasions that things resolved so quickly and do I just have to be patient and live with the current 0.18Mbps speed or should I be getting in contact with Plusnet again?
Thank you for any advice..
5 REPLIES 5
nudger

Re: Slow broadband speed after phone line fault fixed

As I'm asking a 'general question' I am not sure whether the following information is helpful or not but in case it is, and because there are forum instructions asking for this information, I've included it below:
Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 8:00:58
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.3
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 440 / 1.689
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 21,72 / 98,29
And from the BT Wholesale performance test:
Download speed: 0.20Mbps
Upload speed: 0.30Mbps
Ping latency: 45ms
Thanks again for any answer to my original question...
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi Nudger,
Welcome to the forums, where I'm sure you will get the help you require.
Thank you for trying to gather useful data; the figures provided indicate that you have a very bad connection (synch speed) at present, but do not clearly suggest why.  To assist, can you please provide the full set of DSL stats, including SNRM, attenuation figures and error counts.
You have a very low synch speed.  If you also have a high SNRM figure, a SNRM reset will help - if it has already been requested it might need doing again as sometimes the BTOR systems do not always do the job right first time.
If the SNRM is low (6dB or less) then there is still something wrong with your phone line or internal wiring.  The full set of figures will help point to the right course of action.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

nudger

Thank you for your reply Townman.
I got this information from logging in to my router - I think this is the information you are suggesting I post. Apologies if it's not (and perhaps you could advise me as to how to go about finding it if that's the case):
DSL Connection
Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 8:52:54
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.3
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 440 / 1.689
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 27,76 / 117,68
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,8 / 0,0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 40,6 / 66,5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 12,0 / 9,1
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 7 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 102 / 2.294
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 16 / 12
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 15 / 25
nudger

So it now looks as though my line is gradually re-settling itself. The speed has gone up by a factor of 10 (to 1.8Mbps!) and is almost back to normal so perhaps I was just impatient or it just worked a little slower this time.
Just for my education, I take it that the SN ratio posted in the information above is OK, considering I'm on a really old telephone line, miles away from the exchange? I understand that it should be higher than 6 and ideally as high as possible?
So if it's above 6, does that mean the noise on the line is acceptable and therefore there isn't a continuing problem with the line? I have no idea what it was prior to the fault being fixed because I didn't know any better and didn't check it.
Thanks.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:  40,6 / 66,5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 12,0 / 9,1

This shows your target margin is 9dB. It's also a very long line.
The default target margin is 6dB, but there are a number of occasions where this may be higher.
The most likely reason is that you have a long line and the connection is poor and constantly dropping. DLM (the Dynamic Line Management system that monitors your connection at the exchange) raises the target margin in 3dB steps. This will lower the synch rate and is done in an attempt to stabilise the line.
The only occasion where a higher SNR margin would be a good thing would be if you were on a 20CN connection with a maximum downstream of 8128kbps. With a good clean and not-too-long line you can max out the line at that speed, and any margin over 6dB is "spare".