Did you mean: 

Slow broadband cancellation fee rip off

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Re: Slow broadband cancellation fee rip off

@Jus,

The master socket looks to be in a good state by the looks of it, it's much newer than the junction box, probably installed mid 90s based on the BT Logo.

So now it's a waiting game, just leave the router plugged into the test socket as it is and do not cut power to the router. Leaving it for 72 hours will prove to the exchange that there's a period of stability and the profile should lift up which should then increase your speed - I say should because we don't know what speed ability your line is going to have yet as it hasn't really gone through a proper training period. You might notice a couple of drops during this 72 hours - I wouldn't worry about this. 

After 72 hours we can then look at the line stats and connection logs to see if it's made any improvement overall. We'll then be in a better position to see if this internal wiring is potentially causing an issue, or the socket in anyway. 

Jus
Grafter

Hi jolo,
I'll leave it on now for 72 hrs and see what the progress is like from there .
Fingers crossed I can get a better speed than what I'm achieving now

Everyday is a learning day !
JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@Jus,

I'll keep an eye on your account but fingers crossed, if not we'll go down the fault route and get it resolved that way. 

Jus
Grafter

Thankyou jolo.

I'll have another look in a few days and report back

Enjoy the rest of your evening Smiley
ThePillenwerfer
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

The "Junction box" is a GPO Block Terminal No 52A from the 1960s or '70s but the wire going into it look as though it could be the original.  It certainly isn't twisted pair, though whether it's long enough for that to make any difference to your broadband performance I couldn't say. 

In the old days the Dropwire, ie the one from the pole, would go to a Protector.  Another cable would go from there to the Block Terminal and the telephone would be hard-wired into that.  When sockets were installed they usually replaced the Protector with a Block Terminal No 80A and ran a new cable from that straight to the socket.

It's strange that they used 3-pair cable (as opposed to the usual 2-pair) from there to the socket as that means there's four wires doing nothing.  Maybe that's all the engineer had at the time or it was the first reel that came to hand; it doesn't appear that any pride was taken in the job.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter.

Jus
Grafter

Hi ,

Just an update , I'm still only getting 2.80mb and an upload speed of 0.
62 guys.

Which is what it basically was before.
Any ideas or has any faults came up ?

Thanks Smiley
Jus
Grafter

Could this old junction box be causing an issue maybe... ?

Thanks
ThePillenwerfer
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Whilst the old Block Terminal won't be enhancing performance I'd be more concerned about the manky old cable that's going into it. 

From the pictures it looks like the installation of the Master Socket was very sloppily done.  I would have expected a new Block Terminal to have been connected at the end of the Dropwire and a twisted-pair cable used from there to the socket.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter.

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@Jus,

It's not even been a day yet. As I said 72 hours, please?

This is the difference in your connection log:

This junction box, or internal wiring could be causing a problem, I advised that yesterday but please can you wait the full amount of time I've requested.

FYI your upload speed is perfectly fine, you're on an adsl connection that provides and uncapped upstream sync speed of 832Kbps (or 0.8Mbps). You should also set your expectations for your line on the downstream:

Currently the exchange has banded your connection to a maximum 3Mbps speed. I can reset the line and intend to if it doesn't lift automatically. I do not want to do this yet, because it will be another drop on your connection and could potentially cause even further problems. 

So we go back to the waiting game for another 48 hours.

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @Jus,

Just picking this back up for you to check how your connection is getting on. The logs don't look too great to be honest:

Now, there was a banding issue and a signal to noise ratio problem on the line that will likely have been causing some problems (the SNR with the drops that are showing, and the banding with some of the speed issues). I've put a reset through for you and these are now the line stats:

Initially I think it's best to address your speed complaints, initially I'd like to gather some input on what speed you were expecting from your connection? Just because, while the banding was restricting this down, I don't think you're going to ever get higher than around the 3 - 3.5Mbps mark. 

That said the drops that are happening on the line are too frequent so I think it's probably wise to raise a fault in this case as an intermittent issue (not a speed issue). The outcome of raising this will be that an engineer visit will need to be booked to assess the situation and I imagine the'll probably renew the master socket and probably isolate it from this junction box, or potentially install a newer version. It's worth noting that that junction box is classed as internal wiring so whatever the outcome it's highly unlikely it will be removed by Openreach. 

To progress this forward can you please update this ticket with some availability for a visit. Engineers can be booked Mon-Fri in am AM slot (8am - 1pm) or a PM slot (1pm-6pm). 

Jus
Grafter

Hey jolo,
Thanks for getting back in touch and looking into this for me , sorry about me posting only a day into the 72 hrs .

I was really hoping to get higher than 3mbs . I was really hoping for at least 5mb as when I was ordering I thought this was an offer for upto 18mb

I would like it you could send an engineer out , that would be great if he could have a look for me .
Would this be an extra charge for me to have an engineer out ?

Also I can understand point on internal wiring wouldn't be able to be touch etc .

I'm easy on whatever time and day an engineer can be booked .
I am off this Friday and Monday but guessing that they are already booked for these days .
So whenever really. If you tell me I'll booked the time off .

Thanks
Jus 😀
JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @Jus,

So the package is an up to 20Mbps package (on ADSL2+) but is an 'up to' speed. Before you sign up average speeds are given as an indication on each technology. For ADSL services the average is listed as 10Mbps. 

When you enter your details and the line check is performed it then provides you an estimate range based on the image I provided earlier and then we provide you a minimum guaranteed speed too. We confirmed these estimates and speeds here for you. 

There's a possibility this internal wiring is just causing massive issues on your line, extending it and lowering the profile and a visit could resolve issues and lift this up, but realistically the maximum is likely to never be above that 8Mbps top end estimate. 

With regards the visit, unfortunately as it will require changes to your account I will need you to click the ticket link and reply with confirmation of the engineer slots, please.

Once you've done that we'll get it arranged for you. 

Jus
Grafter

Hi I understand this now.

But is this a chargeable service for an engineer to come out , ??

Also I'm sorry but I've clicked on the link and can't seem to find where I need to confirm and view the time slots that are available for me.

Jus
Grafter

Also my internet is running at 0.10 mbs currently.
JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@Jus,

Engineers are only chargeable if it's proved to be internal issues as a cause of the problem or if the appointment is missed (as in you're not there to allow access) in which there may be a cost passed on for £65. 

In this case you won't get charged, even if the junction box is the cause because I've requested the master socket be updated (engineers who renew equipment that is maintained do not cause a charge. 

When you click the link, and login there will be a text box. All I need you to do is type your availability in that box and click send.