Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow broadband and occasional drops

Mjan
Rising Star

Re: Slow broadband and occasional drops

@Townman
Thanks but I never use the phone so there's no pattern. I just noticed it was disconnecting the internet while I was running through all the tests and checking cables and filters again.

There's no particular device that triggers the disconnections. It just happens randomly. The broadband light on the modem starts flashing like crazy and the internet light goes off dropping the connection. It takes a minute or so to reconnect.
Mjan
Rising Star

@Gandalf
@JOLO
@LordFoul
There's nothing else I can do from my side. Can you help me sort this out please?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

"Thanks but I never use the phone so there's no pattern."

You might not use the phone, but if you do not have a handset connected to the line, you do not know what unsolicited inbound calls the line might be receiving.  There are conditions in which any phone activity can cause ADSL to drop.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mjan
Rising Star

Fair point but what I meant was that, even though I got a handset connected, I never use it and never receive calls. I dialled 1471 and there was no received calls to report.
That's why I said there was no pattern.

And thanks for your reply.

I wish someone from Plusnet would reply too. 😞
Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey @Mjan,

Sorry to hear this issue is cropping up again, to for clarity please get connected into your test socket and monitor the connection for 24 hours or so. Once you've gone ahead with that step please get back to us here and we can raise a fault to our suppliers for further investigation.

Thanks.

Mjan
Rising Star

@Mads

My modem and phone have been connected to the test socket for months now. Last time the openreach engineer came over to change the drop line he just left it connected like that and said it was ok.
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @Mjan,

Thank you for confirming that and I'm sorry that you're still experiencing connection problems. I've arranged an engineer visit for you between 1pm and 6pm tomorrow (the 19th of December) and have confirmed this on the fault ticket here. Our faults team will contact you once we've received an update from our suppliers after the visit. Please get back in touch on here if you need us to rearrange this appointment or if there's anything else that you'd like to discuss in the meantime.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Mjan
Rising Star

Hi,

The openreach engineer just came and tested the line. He couldn't find any problems with his tests from my socket and seemed confused as to why I have so many disconnections.
He replaced my socket with a new one with a built in filter and said maybe the problem is with the router or at the exchange. He said he was going to continue tests outside and I guess he has been because I got disconnected again so, I'm assuming, it's him (I hope).
It's a mystery, the other engineer, a few months ago, also couldn't find a fault, and changed the drop line into the property.
At least the problem isn't with my internal lines.
We'll see what the report says... It's just so frustrating no-one can find what the issue is.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for getting back to us @Mjan.

From what we can see it's looking good so far as per the below graph.

I'd recommend monitoring the connection to see if the drops reoccur. If they do let us know and we'll get the fault escalated for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Interesting graph. Very few drops prior to 11-12 in the morning. Can you identify any electrical equipment not used prior to 11am but used throughout the afternoon and evening?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mjan
Rising Star

I'm back unfortunately.

Yesterday, Boxing day, between 10 and 11:30 pm there was 3 disconnections, at least. It kicked me and my daughter off our online games.

It's a shame because it's been working fine since the engineer came over last week. And we have been home a lot so no changes in use or any other electrical equipment used in our household.

We abandoned gaming for the evening but I think we may have had more disconnections after that while using our phones.

Could you have a look and provide another graph, please?

Thanks
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us @Mjan 

I'm sorry to see you're continuing to experience connection problems. I've tested your line today and while the tests aren't showing any causes for this, we can definitely see the drops and your speeds would suffer as a result.

Looking back through your fault history, I can see we've arranged two engineers in total and the work carried out was to renew the drop-wire coming into your property and renew your master socket.

While there are additional quality checks I'd like to see carried out for example to check the line all the way to the exchange, it'd be a good idea to try another router first, so I've sent you a replacement now, which we'll get to you as soon as we can.

I'm taking this on personally moving forward so I'll follow things up with you once you've received your new router.

If you're interested I've attached a copy of our testing below:

xDSL Status Check
Circuit ID: CB******* Service ID: [redacted]
Telephone NO.: NA Test Executed On: 28-12-2019 16:04:36
xDSL Status Test Summary
Sync Status: Circuit In Sync
General Information
NTE Status:   NTE Power Status: PowerOn Bypass Status:  

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 8.1 17.5
SNR Margin: 17.0 15.3
Errored Seconds: 0 0
HEC Errors: 0  
Cell Count: 1474937 6304350
Speed: 522 13119

Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 18176 Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 14541
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 43081 Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 14360
Indicative Line Quality: G Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 545
Custom Thresholds
MTBR_RED: MTBE_RED:
MTBR_GREEN: MTBE_GREEN:

image15775499656046

Moderators Note:  Circuit number removed at request of poster

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mjan
Rising Star

Thanks @Gandalf for not giving up on me.

It's very odd how the connection stayed on for 6 days but then, when the disconnections start, they come back with a vengeance.

I'll let you know when the router arrives. Smiley
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem @Mjan Yeah it's really odd and I'm hoping the new router fixes this for you, but if not I'll arrange another engineer and get this escalated with Openreach. In the meantime I hope you have a good New Year next week. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Happy new year @Mjan It looks like you've received your router on the 31st. Assuming I'm right, how have things been since then? If you've not received your new router quite yet, you hopefully should do soon.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet