Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow broadband and occasional drops

Mjan
Rising Star

Re: Slow broadband and occasional drops

Happy new year @Gandalf

Yes, the router arrived on the 31st. It's all connected and it seems to be working ok, so far, but I've not been home much.

I'll see how it behaves over the weekend and if there's any connection drops I'll let you know.

Thanks
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

OK, great. Please keep us posted.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Mjan
Rising Star

Hello,
Not good news I'm afraid, today (Friday), there was disconnections again. Twice at around 6pm and twice again around 10pm. There's also times when the speeds drop so low that it doesn't even allow Speedtest to complete. I'm not sure if there's been any other disconnections but I haven't been around much.

I'll keep on monitoring over the weekend.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Which router have you recieved?  Plusnet Hub One?

If yes, then it is worth attempting to see if Router Stats will run with it - configure Router Stats as for a HH5.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi @Mjan I'm sorry to see your connection has started dropping again, it certainly doesn't look good as shown below:

Unfortunately we'll need to arrange another engineer to investigate this further. Could you reply to your fault ticket Here or the text I've sent with further availability when you'll be free for another visit?

I'll then book the engineer and escalate this with our suppliers.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mjan
Rising Star

Hi @Gandalf, yes, it's very disappointing that the problems persist.

About having and engineer come over again, I can't afford to keep on taking time off work for this. Next week I'm working every day but I can be home from 4:30 Tue to Thur. The week after that, I'm not sure.
Since it was already confirmed that the problem isn't inside my house, can't openreach check the outside lines without me having to be here?
I cannot give you any slots as requested for the time being.

The disconnections continue as I write this and have been happening all day today. It's extremely frustrating and inconvenient.

Please let me know if the engineers can check without me being here or after 4:30 Tue to Thu next week. Otherwise I can be available over the weekend. That's all I can do for the moment.

Thanks
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Whilst Plusnet have a process to follow which might or might not locate a ‘fault’ if nothing is manifest when the engineer visits there is not much chance of a fix.

By one means or another the dynamics of the SNRM and sync speed needs to by examined (measured and plotted) in detail.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @Mjan thanks for getting back to me. Unfortunately we can't narrow down the time slots as we wouldn't know when about in the timeslot the engineer will visit due to how the engineers would handle their work. 

An engineer would generally get a stack of jobs either on the day or the night before their shift and carry them out in the order they'd choose to. If there's 2 or 3 in the immediate vicinity, they'd likely go to them one after another.

I've checked for a weekend slot and there aren't any showing in the foreseeable future, they're very rare. As the next step I've got in touch with BT and they've raised a task for an engineer to move you onto a different port at the exchange.

This should be completed within the next 2 working days. I'll check back once that's been done and we'll see how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mjan
Rising Star

@Townman, sorry I haven't been replying to you but, most of the time, I don't understand your posts as they're quite technical for me 😜.
You asked before what modem I've got and the answer is a Sagecom CS 50001 Router 2704N PLUSNET.

@Gandalf, thanks for asking BT to check the exchange side of the line. Hopefully we'll get to the bottom of the issue.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem @Mjan Unfortunately the request to move you to a different port was rejected by the engineer who went out to the exchange on Saturday as they couldn't find any issues with the port you were on.

I've got back in touch with BT and they're raising the 'lift and shift' task again, escalating this with Openreach for a multi-skilled engineer to carry out the work to move your line on to a different port.

Failing that, as an alternative they'll pass this to their complex faults team to arrange for a tie pair modification(TPM) which should not only move you on to a different port, but entirely different equipment at the exchange.

I'll check back on the progress tomorrow.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

An engineer went to the exchange last night and carried out some work, but they don't mention they've moved your line onto a different port. I can see your connection is still heavily dropping out since then too.

So I've got back in touch with BT and they've placed the TPM order to provision your broadband on different equipment entirely. This should go through tomorrow and I'll check back afterwards.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mjan
Rising Star

Thanks for the updates. I've had some longer than usual disconnections recently but thought it was the engineers testing the lines.
Today the internet has been off since 7:30 this morning and still is. The router internet light is off but the phone line is working as I have a dial tone.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @Mjan 

Yeah I noticed your connection started dropping very heavily again recently after a couple of days with no drops. 

I've attached a copy of your connection going back 7 days below:

The complete loss of connection you've got at the moment is likely related to the tie pair modification(TPM) work that BT have raised and should hopefully be completed tomorrow. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @Mjan I'm sorry to see that following the tie pair modification work at the exchange being completed yesterday your connection is still dropping out, I've attached a fresh graph below:

Before we cause more hassle for you and go down the path of another engineer visit, I've placed an order to enable interleaving which is a form of error correction. I'm also changing the stability profile to Super Stable, which should make the software(DLM) at the exchange favour stability over speed.

This should go through on Monday as the next working day and we'll see if that improves your connection.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Keep an eye on the sync speed.