Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow broadband and occasional drops

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: Slow broadband and occasional drops

Hi @Mjan, the drop at about 10:40 was caused by me running a test on your connection, however it only seems to have dropped out once today. It did drop out 4 times last night as you said though.

Testing isn't flagging up any causes of problems, but it does show that there were a couple of errors at some point.

Other than the drop from my testing earlier, the connection does seem to have been stable following the drops last night, but I've bumped the target SNR margin up a little to try and stabilise the connection for you.

I hope this helps.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Mjan
Rising Star

Thanks @HarryB,
I've noticed a drop this morning and, I could swear, another right after that.
It was my 10yo daughter that said that had been 4 drops but, you know, kids can exaggerate a little bit.
Thanks for having a look, I'll keep you posted on any changes Smiley
Mjan
Rising Star

Sorry guys but I'm back again with the same issues. Connection drops for the last couple of days and unreliable speeds.
The online game I was playing this evening was suffering from rubber banding and then I got disconnected again.
It's frustrating it keeps on happening.
Could you have a look at the line please?
Thanks
Mjan
Rising Star

Good morning,

This morning has been terrible. I get disconnected constantly. It's like every few minutes the internet light on the modem flashes and then goes off for a bit. It's just unusable at the moment.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us @Mjan 

I'm sorry to see that the disconnections have started again. Sad

Unfortunately as line tests aren't showing a definitive external causes we'd need you to report a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net so we can arrange another engineer visit to investigate further.

If you can drop us a reply once you've reported the fault we'll get it picked up as soon as we can.

Apologies for the inconvenience this causes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mjan
Rising Star

Hello, I'm back again.
Things have stabilised since last time but, these last couple of weeks, I've been having lots of connection drops, sometimes every 10 to 15 minutes.
Could you please test my line and advise?

Many thanks
JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Hi @Mjanm

There has been a few drops recently, but it looks like the SNR had dropped to 3dB. I've popped a reset through on the line to bring it back up to 6dB which should hopefully stabilise it back out. Keep an eye on it throughout today and if after about 4 hours you're still seeing drops let us know and we might need to go down a fault route. 

Mjan
Rising Star

Thanks for having a look last week. Whatever you did helped and I didn't notice any drops for a few days.
But, yesterday evening and this morning, it started happening again. Several disconnections every 1/2 hour or so.

I've never had so many problems with my broadband until I signed up to Plusnet. Is there a way to fix this once and for all so I can get what I'm paying for? I'm starting to wish the contract was over already.

Please help to sort this out.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us @Mjan 

I'm sorry to see you're experiencing connection problems still. I've tested your line today and while the tests aren't showing any issues, we can certainly see the drops as pictured below:

The complete loss of connection just now would be as a result of me testing your line.

I'd recommend reporting a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net so we can arrange another engineer to investigate this further. If you can post back once you've raised the fault, we'll be happy to pick this back up as soon as we can.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mjan
Rising Star

Hello, I've been very busy with work but am now back to resume this issue.

I'm still suffering connection and speed drops frequently. I've started a fault report on the 7th and tried to go back to it today but I can't add to it anymore.

I've checked all cables, tested on the test socket, restarted the modem but the problems continue as you can probably see on your tests.

Could you please pick up on the ticket and arrange for an engineer to come investigate?

I am available this week on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday all day and can be in for an appointment.

I need this resolved for the holidays as I got a very unhappy daughter at the moment and I'll also need to do some work from home.

Thanks for your time.

P.S.- Here's the modem report in case someone asks:

Mjan
Rising Star

Modem report attached, couldn't copy paste...

LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Hi Mjan,

Thanks for coming back to us.

I've run some extensive tests on Openreach systems which have not indicated any faults on the line. Before we look at requesting an Openreach visit, please can you have a look at the router placement guide below and also go through the following troubleshooting:

Router placement - At this time of year Christmas lights can cause interference so avoid placing the router near the tree, if you have one.

Wi-Fi troubleshooting - General Wi-Fi advice

Test socket - Connect your router to the test socket using a new ADSL microfilter. If you don't have a spare in the router box they are available online reasonably cheaply

Do come back to us as we can make adjustments here if to see whether that makes a difference. If you continue to have issues after this you can also report a fault here: https://tinyurl.com/y59lyqq

Let us know how that goes.

Thanks - LF

Mjan
Rising Star

Thanks for your reply.

I've already done all the steps above and don't have a Christmas tree nor lights.

If you go back on the thread, you'll see that this issue is a recurrent one and there's no amount of adjustments or tests that solve the problem.

If I can't find a reason for the problem and your tests can't neither, then having an engineer come over and check the connection all the way to the exchange is the only thing left to do.

Last time an engineer came, they changed the drop line to he property but it still didn't solve the problems.

I'm sure your tests will show the amount of droped connections I suffer.

Please sort it out, I'm sick of it now.

Thanks
Mjan
Rising Star

Hello, just got home from work and the internet just dropped again. My daughter told me it happened a few times since she got home from school.
Can I please have someone come and sort it out?
I've done all tests, checked all cables and filters and no visible improvement.
Also, just noticed, as don't really use the landline phone, that using the phone also makes the internet drop. I've changed the filter again (I've tried 3 different ones) but it keeps on happening. There's no noise on the line as far as I can tell.
I would like this sorted out this week as I've not been receiving the service I paid for. I'm available Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.

Thank you
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Look for a pattern of BB disconnect in conjunction with the phone being used - both in bound and out bound calls. Such points to a suspect filter or a line card in the exchange.

You synch speed looked quite good.

The router are you using has a propensity to Isolate WiFi connected devices whilst still having a working connection. Exactly what are the devices ‘seeing’ the disconnection wired or WiFi?

When you perceive a drop, if you log into the router, what state does that report?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.