Slow broadband and occasional drops

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Slow broadband and occasional drops

@Gandalf wrote:

@Townman wrote:

I also note the marked change in DS attenuation - that's now three figures for the line.  Do BTw stats record a history for this metric?

Yup. Some RRT(Reactive Repair Tool) data below:

Hope this helps.

Looks like copying and pasting the images from the wholesale portal didn't have the desired effect... Nothing like doing things the old fashioned way saving the files and uploading them as pictures:

Line Attenuation.jpgMTBE.jpgSNR.jpg

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@Gandalf 

Are those graphics somewhere I cannot access please?

Capture missing graphics.JPG

Edit - fixed whilst posting - thank you!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hmmm it is all a bit wobbly!

… I mean the stats!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Yep I noticed it while eating my lunch browsing the forums on my phone.

Realised that the original images don't show up if you aren't logged into the wholesale portal.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mjan
Rising Star

I thought I'd give an update on this since a few of you have shown an interest and took the time to advise.
The openreach engineer has been earlier and confirmed there's no internal problems, a big relief for me Smiley
He said the cable from the telegraph pole to my house needs to be changed because it's very old and they'll do it today or tomorrow morning so, we'll see what happens.
I'll keep you posted on what happens.
Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @Mjan, thank you for the update.

We will take this as a positive engineer visit since they have managed to find an external issue that needs addressing. Please keep us update and let us know how it goes.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Thanks for the update, @Mjan , it's always good when people bother to update a  thread like this - you wouldn't believe the number of users who don't. Smiley

John
Mjan
Rising Star

Need help from the Plusnet team please...
When I got home from work, late last night, it seems I closed the ticket 191272510 by mistake while trying to check the status of it. I have no idea how it happened as there was no confirmation step, it just got closed.
Can it be reopened, please?

Also, the Openreach engineer never came back Friday evening nor Saturday morning, as he said he would, to replace the line from the telegraph pole to my home.

Thanks for your time Smiley
JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Hi @Mjan

I've reopened that ticket for you (it has the same reference). I've also updated the ticket with what happened with the re-attendance too. Let me know if you need any further clarification. 

Mjan
Rising Star

Hello,
Another update on this:
The engineer came in the morning and replaced the cable from the telegraph pole to my flat. After that he connected his testing equipment to the test socket and gave the line the all clear. He said the speeds are still low but that the line would reset and it would improve.
Problem is, since he left, the internet has disconnected a number of times. I'm not sure if it's due to the line trying to reset or another issue.
I'll give it until tomorrow to see if it all settles and improves and I'll update this thread again.
Thanks one more time for your interest in this Smiley
jab1
Legend

Thanks for the update, @Mjan . If he's been replacing cables/connections and generally upsetting the line, unfortunately you will get a spell of the wobbles.Smiley

Give it 24 hours or so and then update us.

A copy of your routers stats, as you've previously supplied, would be useful - to a nosey individual like me. Grin

John
Mjan
Rising Star

@jab1, here you go Smiley :

Your Plusnet adviser may ask you for the following information:
1 - Product name: Plusnet Router
2 - Serial number: N7183061B004860
3 - Firmware version: 7.275.11_F2704N_Plusnet
4 - Board version: F@ST2704N
5 - Mode ADSL
6 - Uptime: 0 days 00:19:12
7 - Data rate: 1244/6655
8 - Maximum data rate: 1240/20900
9 - Noise margin: 5.9/25.7
10 - Line attenuation: 8.2/17.0
12 - Data sent/received: 5.7M/123.7M

I left everything bellow this line out as advised earlier in the thread due to privacy
jab1
Legend

Thanks for that, @Mjan  It's still early days, but there are a couple of concerns showing there. Your downstream noise margin is horribly high, which is impacting you d/s data rate.

If those two figures don't improve over the next 24 hours or so, it may need further investigation - but hopefully the line will stabilise.

Same data this time tomorrow?

John
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for getting back to us @Mjan.

I've checked your connection and it does still appear to be intermittent as shown below

In addition, it still looks like there is banding in place on the line which will be why your noise margin is high as your speeds are being restricted to between 3 and 6mbps.

We could look at remove the banding however as the line is dropping it's likely that the line would just get banded again.

I've passed this back to our suppliers for further investigation and we'll update you as soon as we know more

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
jab1
Legend

Thanks for that, @MatthewWheeler I kind of thought the high SNR/low speed was a little odd, but knowing how my line behaved after OR intervention, just thought it was a blip. That Radius log proves I was wrong.Sad

John