cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow broadband and occasional drops

Mjan
Rising Star

Re: Slow broadband and occasional drops

@Townman I've done a couple of quiet tests on the line today. It's mostly silent for a minute or two followed by a noise that reminds me of an old modem or fax machine for a couple of seconds. That's when I notice the broadband light flashes and the connection to the internet goes down. My BT master socket is in the middle of my old flat. The cable is fed from outside through the front door attached to the wall until it reaches the middle room/lounge and connects to the master socket. I don't see any other cables coming out the back of the master socket but I have no idea. There's so many random cables in this old flat that I have no idea what's what. It was like this when I moved in nearly 2 years ago.

@OskarPapa thanks, I'll have a look at the online form although the threat of being charged for an engineer visit really puts me off.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@jab1 

Hi John,

Given the line tests are not showing anything to point an engineer at yet - I'd like to see if we can find a pattern here so as to have something to focus on - confirmation of intermittent noise would be a fab start point!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

It's mostly silent for a minute or two followed by a noise that reminds me of an old modem or fax machine for a couple of seconds. That's when I notice the broadband light flashes and the connection to the internet goes down.

@198kHz 

The data modulation breaking into the audible range … what does that suggest to you please?  Line card in the exchange or something else please?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

@Townman OK, I see where you're coming from, and bow to your greater knowledge. Just trying to help a fellow user who is prepared to engage when they are offered help.Wink

John
Mjan
Rising Star

@jab1 @Townman I'm very grateful for all you help.
The only other router I have is my old sky one from before Plusnet
It's a SR102-Z Sky Hub. Do you think I could use it instead of the Plusnet one?
I'm trying my best to get this fixed but I'm a bit behind with technology Smiley
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi John,

Not so much greater knowledge (no need to bow!) just that I know sometimes BTOR engineers have difficulty finding properties … let a lone an intermittent fault.  Plusnet line testing is showing nothing, so an engineer might attend and find nothing AT THE TIME of inspection.

If the user can find evidence of intermittent noise, there is an angle the engineer can be pointed at.  Hearing modulation tones on a quite line test is a particular form of line noise which I hope someone else might know what is likely to cause this.

My not so well informed view is that given that the modulation frequencies are way above the audible spectrum, this might be harmonic noise, which I hope will have a specific cause.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

A quick Google of that router suggests that it is locked to Sky - so no dice!

jab1
Legend

Kevin, thanks for that explanation -I get where you're going with the engineers, although I seem to be blessed with brilliant ones round here.

Thanks for your input, as always - I continue to learn.

And I was going to suggest that sky router would be no good, next.

John
Mjan
Rising Star

So, I used https://www.plus.net/my-account/tools/phone-troubleshooter/ to check the line again for noise and, even though my phone is now unplugged from the socket, the test disconnected the internet. So now I know it's not my phone's fault but a problem with the line.
I'll go ahead and ask for an engineer to check it out as I've tried everything from my side.
Thanks everyone for help and suggestions. I'll keep you posted

The automated test didn't find a fault but there was a lot of noise on the line earlier on.
Mjan
Rising Star

@OskarPapa

I've replied to your ticket to book an engineer. Thanks
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@Townman wrote:

@198kHz 

The data modulation breaking into the audible range … what does that suggest to you please?  Line card in the exchange or something else please?

If it is that, I'd say maybe an HR joint with rectifying properties.

Given the OP's comments about intermittent noise and Fax-like sounds, I'd favour low insulation somewhere along the external route - highly unlikely to be within the exchange.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@Mjan I've booked the engineer appointment for Friday 21/06/2019 between 1pm and 6pm.

If you're or anyone else is interested here's a copy of our testing:

xDSL Status Check Test Outcome :

Test Outcome

: Pass

Description

: OK.

Circuit Sync Status

: Circuit In Sync

NTE Detail :

Power Status

: NTE Power On

Upstream Link Info

Loop Loss SNR Margin Errored Seconds Hec Errors Cell Count Speed
12.1 5 0 0 565510 312

Downstream Link Info

Loop Loss SNR Margin Errored Seconds Hec Errors Cell Count Speed
22.5 2.3 0 N/A 13884198 4023

Downstream BIP Interface Data

Current Line Rate Line Rate Change TimeStamp Maximum Stable Rate Recalculated Profile TimeStamp Maximum Stable Rate Fault Threshold Rate Interleaving Flag
3537 19/06/2019 11:45:40 N 04/06/2019 04:03:48 2272 1817 A

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jab1
Legend

Not a pretty sight, that Radius log, @Gandalf , and from what I've seen earlier in this thread, the d/s speed is atrocious - no doubt DLM trying to stabalise things?

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Gandalf 

Thank you for this - looks ugly!

I also note the marked change in DS attenuation - that's now three figures for the line.  Do BTw stats record a history for this metric?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@jab1 wrote:

Not a pretty sight, that Radius log, @Gandalf , and from what I've seen earlier in this thread, the d/s speed is atrocious - no doubt DLM trying to stabalise things?

Aye by the looks of it.

@Townman wrote:

I also note the marked change in DS attenuation - that's now three figures for the line.  Do BTw stats record a history for this metric?

Yup. Some RRT(Reactive Repair Tool) data below:

Hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet