Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow broadband and occasional drops

Mjan
Rising Star

Slow broadband and occasional drops

Hello,
I've recently moved to Plusnet from Sky and, after a delay in getting the service started, the speeds I'm getting at the moment are a lot slower than before and lower than the Plusnet estimate.
I used to get 12 to 15 Mbps via WiFi with sky and was told I would get similar with Plusnet as it uses the same lines.
My speed at the moment doesn't go over 3 Mbps (2 Mbps av) wired and upload is 0.05 on average. I also get the occasional drop of internet for a few minutes.

I've tried reading here and doing some online testing but can find no fault on my side. I've done the quiet line test on 17070 direct to the test socket and I can detect no noise.
Any ideas from you guys, please?
143 REPLIES 143
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Re: Slow broadband and occasional drops

Hi @Mjan,

I'm sorry to hear that you've experienced these issues with your connection. I've tested your line today and although I can see that your connection is dropping out and the speed is running at a slower rate due to this, I'm unable to detect a reason why.

It sounds like you may have already done this but I would recommend setting the router up within the test socket and we have a guide on how to do this, here. I would also recommend that you go through our online troubleshooting guide if you haven't already done so. This guide can be found here.

Please let us know whether or not the troubleshooting steps help to resolve the issues that you're experiencing so that we may investigate further if needed.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Mjan
Rising Star

Thank you for the reply.
I've done all the tests now to the master socket (inside test socket) and the speeds continue low and my daughter complaints about occasional drops and buffering.
I've also tried quiet tests and changing the filter and can't change the results.
I've just done a wired BT wholesale performance on the test socket that says the maximum speed achievable by my line is 4 Mbps down and 0.83 up and my results are 2.64 down and 0.19 up.
This is not what I was expecting. Sky's speed to my router used to be 16 Mbps and my averages 12 to 15.
I don't know what else to do and I can't accept that these are the speeds I've signed for. I'm hoping there is a fault somewhere and that you'll help me get to the bottom of it.
Thanks for your time and help.
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @Mjan,

I'm really sorry to hear that our troubleshooting guides haven't helped resolve the issues with your speed. As this is the case, I've raised a ticket on your account in regards to what we'll need to do to continue our investigation. For reference, this ticket can be viewed here.

Once you've been able to read and respond to the ticket that I've sent, please let us know on here so that we can pick this back up for further review as soon as possible.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Mjan
Rising Star

Thanks again for the reply. Before I answer the ticket and commit to having an engineer coming out and to a possibility to being charged, is there a way to know what the expected speed is on my line and if there's actually a fault?
I haven't changed anything apart from swapping modems from sky to Plusnet and the threat of having to pay for an engineer visit is putting me off.
Thanks
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @Mjan,

A useful resource for seeing what your estimated speed range is the BT Broadband Availability Checker. You can use your landline number or address to find your line and your estimated speed range. I've checked your line and you should be expecting to receive download speeds ranging between 9-19Mbps and upload speeds of up to 1.5Mbps.

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Mjan
Rising Star

So, something amazing has happened. For some reason, my broadband speed has improved immensely and I'm now getting 13 up and 1 down over WiFi.
Maybe someone hit the side of the server at the exchange?
I suppose an engineer visit is no longer necessary. Could you close the ticket, please?
Thanks all for your guidance.
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @Mjan 

Thanks for letting us know. 

If we can be of more assistance just give us a shout. 

Kind Regards, 

MoR

Mjan
Rising Star

Hello,
Sorry to come back to this thread but 2 or 3 days ago my WiFi speed dropped considerably and I have no idea why. I'm not able to do a wired Speedtest at the moment but my WiFi speed has gone from an average of 13 Mbps to less than 4 with occasional drops.
Nothing has changed with my set up and I've tried to restart the router but it didn't help.
I got this info from the router earlier today:

Your Plusnet adviser may ask you for the following information:
1 - Product name: Plusnet Router
2 - Serial number: N7183061B004860
3 - Firmware version: 7.275.11_F2704N_Plusnet
4 - Board version: F@ST2704N
5 - Mode ADSL
6 - Uptime: 0 days 00:22:33
7 - Data rate: 1184/4475
8 - Maximum data rate: 1200/21072
9 - Noise margin: 7.3/28.8
10 - Line attenuation: 8.3/17.0
12 - Data sent/received: 6.0M/19.4M
20 - Broadband username:XXXXX@plusdsl.net
21 - Wi-Fi network/SSID: PLUSNET-HGFJ69
22 - Wi-Fi connections: Enable(802.11 b/g/n(up to 144 Mb/s))20 MHz WPS enabled
23 - Wi-Fi security: WPA2
24 - Wi-Fi channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
25 - Firewall: Default
26 - MAC Address: d0:6e:de:08:1d:f5
27 - Software variant Version 1.0
28 - Boot loader: 7.275.11

Can you advise, please?

Many thanks

Moderators Note: Personal information removed

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us.

Our tests aren't showing the cause for the drops though we can see them. If you've tried the troubleshooting steps my colleague has advised in this previous post I'd recommend raising a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net to arrange an engineer.

If you can nudge us over here once you've done this we'll make sure it is picked up as soon as we can.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mjan
Rising Star

Hello, I'm back.

I've been extremely busy and the problems have continued. I followed the troubleshooting and I'm getting very annoyed and angry at the situation.
I keep on getting speed drops and constant disconnections.
I hardly use my home phone but found out that it makes the broadband light flash and the internet disconnect when I lift the receiver. I followed the troubleshooting and it tested the line but it came back as no problems detected.
I'm now trying to follow the broadband troubleshooting but got stuck when it asked me to use a different router. I don't have one. Then it threatened me to charge me for an engineer visit if I don't use one first. I already had to go find a different microfilter.

I just want what I'm paying for and, at the moment, I'm not getting it. I never had these problems with sky and regret immensely changing to Plusnet.
What do I have to do to have this fixed???
Thanks for any help
Mjan
Rising Star

Just a quick add that I've just performed a quiet line test on 17070 just now and the line sounds quite noisy. And the broadband light flashes again and the internet light went off...
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

That suggests you have a phone fault - who do pay for your phoneline?

John
Mjan
Rising Star

Plusnet, it's all Plusnet
Just done the phone line test via their website. Came out as no problems detected 😮
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Well, you do have a problem. I would get back to PN  and ask for further investigations.

Did you raise the fault as suggested by @Gandalf  a couple of posts back?

Can you repeat the report you did in post #9 - that showed a horrendous d/s noise margin!

John