Did you mean: 

Slow and variable speeds

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Re: Slow and variable speeds

Hi @romarsh,

Just to confirm, is the router currently plugged into the master socket or is it in an extension phone socket at the moment?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
romarsh
Dabbler

It was plugged in to the phone master socket, but I have now moved it so it is on an extension lead, although not far from the master socket, so I can wire it into my desktop, and so that I can get wifi signal in the room upstairs from it. 

All the speed tests I reported in the last few days were when it was in the master socket. It was moved a couple of hours ago. 

romarsh
Dabbler

Now that i am back upstairs, I can confirm that the speed I am getting on the laptop is currently 11.26. Which is usable, I guess, although substantially less than the guaranteed minimum speed. 

I feel like I am gaining a bit more of an understanding about what is going on, here, but remain extremely unhappy about the service plusnet provide to me. 

romarsh
Dabbler

Perhaps foolishly, when I saw that a Plusnet staff member was on this thread, I was expecting something other than a simple question which could have been answered by reading the thread....

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@romarsh 

I am concerned that the problem with the basic sync speed, that's the speed that your modem is connecting to the broadband from the BT street cabinet could be related to your extension wiring. I note that you do not have a test socket. Is your BT master socket very old? Does it look like any in the pictures in this article?  http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/40812/~/what-type-of-master-socket-have-i-got%3F

Is your phone plugged in to the microfilter? If it, any any other phones are plugged in elsewhere in your property they should be fitted with their own micrifilter.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

romarsh
Dabbler

The master socket is just a standard one, as far as I know. It’s more than 20 years old, but it’s one of the ones in the picture you linked to.

Yes, I’ve got a micro filter on the wire with the phone attached. I only have one phone plugged in. There’s a micro filter on the wire going into the router as well. Which is now plugged in to the extension wire from the phone socket.
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @romarsh, I'm really sorry for the issues you are experiencing with the speed.

I've tested the line this morning; no faults are being detected but can see that you're speed is in sync below your estimates.

If when connected to the master socket there is no improvement, the next step will be an engineer so they can investigate further. The open fault ticket is awaiting your response with availability for us to book this for you, you can reply to it here and if you let us know once done we'll pick it up for you.

Having read through this thread I fully appreciate your concerns in having an engineer attend the property. The troubleshooting steps we ask you to complete are designed to rule out internal causes for the issue and so long as you have connected your router to the master socket (or test socket where possible) with no other equipment connected (no landline phone connected and nothing connected to any extensions), then this should pretty much rule out internal factors. Just to note, your electronics connected to the router (TV, laptop, smart phone) will not be the cause of the issue nor would an engineer determine these are the cause as we can see your sync speed (the speed getting down the line to the router) is below estimates.

Please be assured that we do not want you to be charged for a visit and we are very stringent on protecting you and ourselves from incurring a charge. So long as you have correctly completed the advised checks (found here and here (where possible)) and ensure that someone is in the property within the pre-arranged time-slot to allow the engineer access, then the potential charge shouldn't be an issue.

I'm afraid at this point, this is the only way we can progress with working to resolve this. If you're happy to progress with this, please reply on the fault ticket I linked above and let us know once done.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
romarsh
Dabbler

Just followed that link, which is to a lot of information I have not seen before and which would have been helpful to have when my friend was here trying to help me resolve this! In particular, there is an email with a video and lots of other information about tests and changes we could have made, which was not sent to me or, at least, not received by me. 

Since I work away from home, it is going to be very difficult for me to book this engineer if I have to give 3 possible dates. 

But I have just tried to offer a time, and cannot work out how to do so!  It says to reply to the message, but I don't seem to be able to reply to it as an email, and it is in the middle of some kind of complicated thread on the website. 

Please advise. 

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @romarsh

If you click on this link, you will be redirected to your member centre where the ticket itself is visible and is able to be replied to. 

I hope this helps. 

Kind Regards, 

MoR

romarsh
Dabbler

That's the same link as in the message to which i was replying. So no, I am afraid this hasn't helped at all. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

The link may be the same @romarsh but the content to which it points may well have been updated.

romarsh
Dabbler

What, in the last few seconds? I don't think so!

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @romarsh 

When you click the link and get redirected to your Member Centre, can you confirm what you are seeing? 

This is the method we use to link all users to ticket updates, and should throw you to the specific ticket in question. 

Thanks, 

MoR

romarsh
Dabbler

I do, indeed, see the "ticket updates" which are, as I said, illuminating and frustrating since I have not received all of this information by email, despite what is says. 

I also question why I was not sent this link before?

But, anyway, when I follow the link, I see a list of all the "updates" and one of them says that I should reply to the message to book the engineer. Luckily, that was one of the ones that had been sent to me by email (although, when I phoned up, I was told it was an error and should not have been sent, so I deleted it) and I was able to reply to the email itself. 

You guys don't make it easy for people to sort things out!

romarsh
Dabbler

Oh - and guess what?   I have got an automated email response telling me that emails to that address are not picked up, despite the email telling me to reply to it. 

I can't tell you how fed up I am.