Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow XBLM, PSN, Itunes Store downloads after 6pm

cubsfan
Dabbler

Re: Slow XBLM, PSN, Itunes Store downloads after 6pm

James
You are an absolute star.  Just had a quick look at an archived game (to test) and it is showing the Distinguished Services field as 0x80.  I will try to double check this evening when there is a live game running.
Many, many, many thanks
Alan
PS I might just love you forever  Wink
This is why we stick with PlusNet.
scootie
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
@ASBO DOG
Can you PM me with some times you would be free this afternoon?  We'd like to use you to do some testing if that's okay by you?

typical went for a dog nap at 2 and only just woke up Grin
Be3G
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
@Thomas
We're trying to get an iTunes sig from Ellacoya

Thanks James, sounds encouraging.
scootie
Grafter

just hooked up xbox to pc to do some wireshark to see if there was any hidden 0x80's hidding that you might of put a temp sig on and my findings are abit worrying to be honest.   i have all the wire sharks saved of 4 or so streaming inside xbox videos, some game demo's , also captured traffic when i was recoving my gamertag to my spare xbox and the loading of the game demo menu ie the dvd case covers.
out of the 4 streaming videos i tested only one was 0x80 ign strategize and played in the blink of an eye ;).
sentuamessage was 0x60 and would not play also afro samurai(old one) and insider moves(which is a new one) also 0x60 and would not play.
the worrying thing i see is that the 2 game demos i tested was coming down at 0x80 Huh .  wanted weapons of fate and cod waw
the game demo menu when loading the dvd covers was very slow 0x60 but the time it took to load the covers might of bein made worse by me using my spare xbox which most likely didnt have these cahced on the hard drive Undecided
now this is where PN tell me they havent made any changes yet Shocked but from when i have done captures like this before on a smaller scale game demos and streaming was all 0x60
o and when recovering my gamer tag the first stage and second stage where both 0xa0
jameseh let me know if you still want me to do the test as i just had a stab in the drak that this was what you where sort of wanting
asbo beigns clearing up box room of loads of cables. tv's xbox's nah not that bad but will not be happy after i have packed up to find PN staff reply with can you check this on wireshark Roll_eyes
edit: also my spare xbox needed a system/dashboard update and the 2 stages of the update came down at 0x80
when looking at any of the 0x60 wireshark captures there is fair amount of retransmits of packets which i would belive is traffic managment droping them Undecided    i did the tests hooked upto pc using its wireless connection  but the 0x80 captures dont show this amount of retransmits
cubsfan
Dabbler

Just to follow up on my earlier comment.  The live stream for MLB.tv has now started up, and is flying along at full speed.
Many thanks
scootie
Grafter

just fhinshed runing some XBL stream's and demo downloads why dave looked at the traffic on my account and all source ip's for the traffic was coming from LIMELIGHT NETWORK ip's http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/quality_broadband/download_servers.shtml wiki on limelighthttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limelight_Networks 
so jameseh informed  which makes it hard for PN to class right but are going to be working on it along with traffic managment suppliers.
so theres not going to be a quick fix but there working on solving it
James
Grafter

Check your PMs dude Smiley
scootie
Grafter

ive got a few more wireshark captures but thought the 5 i sent you pretty much told the full story of what i was seeing last night.
o and if there is any traffic on port number 40848 in the captures thats some utorrent traffic still being picked up even thoe i had shut it down when i did the captures last night.
now ive got to work out why a cant acess acount mangment on my XBL profile. cant add any M$ points to download cod 5 map pack Cry
time for some googling as i know M$ surrport line will be as helpful as a choclate tea pot.
pot luck: has any one else had this XBL account mangment problem when you have recoverd gamertag on to spare xbox and then back to your oraginal machine? send me PM if you know the soultion plz
EDIT: manged to buy 1000 M$ points but didnt solve the problem.
from selecting account mangment all the way to billing my CC each new menu would pop up and then an error saying i wasnt connected to xbox live.
In the end went abit  Crazy and just kept leting it chuck me back to the previous step after it lied to me saying i wasnt connected and selecting go again it took about 20-30 times for each menu even the menu confirming a charge of £8.50 for 1000 points.
it only credit my account with a 1000 points so iam hoping that when the CC bill  arrive's it dose'nt have a £200+ bill for 1000 M$ points Angry
_CN_
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: cubsfan
The live stream for MLB.tv has now started up, and is flying along at full speed

Hi,
Can you send me some wireshark captures of an archived game and live game, only need the beginning part - 15 seconds or so, we need to look at getting a more permanent solution in place.
_CN_
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: ASBO
xbox needed a system/dashboard update and the 2 stages of the update came down at 0x80

I believe this update is what changed the way we classified XBL content, we're working hard on a fix ....
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: ASBO
just fhinshed runing some XBL stream's and demo downloads why dave looked at the traffic on my account and all source ip's for the traffic was coming from LIMELIGHT NETWORK ip's http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/quality_broadband/download_servers.shtml wiki on limelighthttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limelight_Networks 
so jameseh informed  which makes it hard for PN to class right but are going to be working on it along with traffic managment suppliers.
so theres not going to be a quick fix but there working on solving it

This afternoon we're going to attempt to create a signature to pick up Xbox/PS3 streaming and browsing and be able to set the priority to Gold (as has already been alluded to elsewhere in this thread it's currently getting bundled with Limelight traffic). Can't guarantee it's going to work fiorst time round but here's hoping...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

cubsfan
Dabbler

Some further information on MLB.tv streaming (I can't do a capture just at the moment as I am at work):
Firstly, they are currently changing how they play these streams.  Last year, the media player was based on Microsoft Silverlight (yuk!), but with a (slightly hidden) alternative to use Windows Media Player.  However, for this year, they are planning to use a player based on Adobe Flash Player, and they say there will be no alternative to use Windows Media Player.
They are currently "beta testing" this new player, which means they are only streaming to it during a few games from a pre-season tournament called the World Baseball Classic.  So, except when those specific games are on, it is not possible to use the new player, even to watch archive games.  Over the last week, some of those games were in the evening (UK time), which was when I was able to try it out.  However, the next few games are all well after midnight (UK time), so I won't be around (I need my beauty sleep) to try running it, perhaps until the regular season starts, early next month.
In addition to the Adobe Flash Player, they use a customised plugin (called NexDef) from a company called Autobahn (http://getautobahn.com/) to fetch the stream and pass it on to the Media Player.  Whilst the Media Player does work without the plugin, only the lower speed streams can be accessed if the plugin is not being used.  This plugin was also used for the higher speed streams last year (which were only available for live games, and not archived games).
Beyond this, I know very little about the how the new player will work.  As for the old player, it is currently running alongside the "beta test" of the new player, but will not be used after the new season starts (early next month).  There are two sorts of URLs that are used to start the lower bandwidth streams (I don't know how the higher bandwidth streams worked, except that they used the plugin I mentioned, but, as they were only available whilst a game was in progress, I don't suppose they will be reappearing).
The following is a "live" stream (live, in the sense that the stream is live even though most of the content is from archive) which doesn't require a subscription to view:
mms://a1321.l1086940700.c10869.n.lm.akamaistream.net/D/1321/10869/v0004/reflector:40700
The live game streams (that are part of the subscription service) are similar, but with an authentication string appended.
The following is an archived stream:
mms://a1321.v108694.c10869.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1321/10869/v0004/mlb.download.akamai.com/10869/2007/open/features/yakyu_full_400.wmv
This one is actually quite old, as the free archived content has been provided as Flash Video recently.  However, the archived games that are part of the subscription are similar, but, again, with an authentication string appended.
scootie
Grafter

nice one PN guys.
As requested i did abit of testing of the marketplace this afternoon and reported what i found to jameseh.
but i forgot to add that i also ran i stream why i was downloading a game demo and the stream played perfect which leads me to belive even before peak time has started that the stream was being picked as 0x80.
As i would of thought if they where still both picked up as 0x60 even at this time of day i ran them the stream and demo download would of bein fighting for the bandwidth allowed on 0x60 and the stream would of sufferd.
cheers for the hard work guys
James
Grafter

If it's being picked up as 0x80, regardless of the time of day, hopefully we've cracked it.
It would previously have been picked up as 0x60, again, regardless of the time of day.
I think I'll buy Tommo and Carl a pint Smiley
If anyone else wants to send some in their address is Plusnet, c/o James Bailey, 2 Tenter Street, Sheffield S1 4BY.
_CN_
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

the change for PS3/XBL & iTunes is only effective on Premier Option 1 & Unlimited while we monitor the platform, hopefully we can expand to other products next week, thanks