cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow XBLM, PSN, Itunes Store downloads after 6pm

nextgenconsoles
Grafter

Re: Slow XBLM, PSN, Itunes Store downloads after 6pm

This isn't a minor "blip" and it's got nothing to do with the snow ! This has been happening on PN for weeks, well before the countries greenary turned white. The issue is that PN classify PSN/XBLA and Appstore/Itunes the same as Peer to peer and other download services which is wrong. They don't appear to be doing anything about this apart from saying , as soon as it's stops snowing it will be fine !
Of course it's good that they ensure that actual online gaming is smooth, but I wouldn't expect anything less for a premium pay (and it's over 20 quid a month) ISP, but dictating what times you can legitmately download a patch for a PS3 game or the latest 360 demo is not what I paid for.
If you think it's going to magically repair itself after the snow, then think again. It won't be long (with this attitude to gamers) that PN start to say you can only play online games between 11pm and 3am.
As for giving you the "Edge". It's not very sporting is it Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

when I see some one boasting that he has got 11000 I tunes downloaded, (When will he ever listen to that many) that why it is restricted, so that us normal people can look at the net
James
Grafter

Hi NGC
Quote from: nextgenconsoles
This isn't a minor "blip" and it's got nothing to do with the snow ! This has been happening on PN for weeks, well before the countries greenary turned white. The issue is that PN classify PSN/XBLA and Appstore/Itunes the same as Peer to peer and other download services which is wrong. They don't appear to be doing anything about this apart from saying , as soon as it's stops snowing it will be fine !

Yep, I'm aware that this has been a growing issue for the last few weeks.  That's why we added 310Mbps of central capacity, to resolve the issues that our gamers were seeing.  Now, I'm not saying that things are magically going to fix themselves, but we need to be able to see how traffic is performing during "normal network" conditions and the timing of the snow was far from ideal!
We need to get the network balanced (which will happen) and see how performance is against our "expected speeds" and then take things from there.  We're also reviewing our capacity management plan (how often we add additional capacity) based on the changes in web trends.
nextgenconsoles
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
when I see some one boasting that he has got 11000 I tunes downloaded, (When will he ever listen to that many) that why it is restricted, so that us normal people can look at the net

thats a complete exaggeration of the norm and irrelevant to what we are discussing here.
Even if they had downloaed 11,000 itunes (about £9k worth), firstly they would be unlike to do that it a short period of time, and even if they tried to do it in a month, then they would be severely traffic managed as they would have gone over the 13 to 15gb allowed during peak hours. That's what we pay for, a decent surfing speed AND the ability to download 13gb of stuff if you want to during peak hours, especially if it's a legitimate source such as PSN, XBMP or Itunes. But PN aren't giving us this and haven't for the last fair number of weeks.
I want to decide when I can download a new demo from XBMP, a game update from PSN (which won't let me play the game until I've downloaded the update !) or maybe a small app (under 80mb) from the Appstore, not PN. I don't want to have to wait until after midnight or first thing in the morning.
As James had said, the are working on it  and the last thing Plusnet wants to be known for is massively slow XBMP, PSN and Itunes as those peple will avoid them like the plague and go to another ISP.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

no comment
Quote from: the
Any idea how much bandwidth this gobbles up. My itunes has around 11,000 tracks. I found I used 300MB in free time today but had nothing scheduled to download - might it be this?
scootie
Grafter

@ nextgen.
i said (minor blip due to a SET of  unforeseen events) 
yes the download server queue was runing slow for some time before the events happend.
1.plus net started to investagte and put fixs in place.
2.before the fixs could be sein fully a customer had a dos attack against them which in the end effected 2 of the gateways which led to an inblance of the network.
3.plusnet lit 2 segments of 155mb. which should of put the slow down to bed and the inblance would of balnced out again.
4. then snow came office workers/kids where stuck at home and the internet being the choice tool for working from home/entertament ended up in all the extra bandwidth added being used up by web surfing and vpn/remote session ect(gold traffic).
5 now plusnet are asking you to be patient and wait for normal network traffic condtions to return(which comes with the snow melting so get your hair dryer out or a big bag of salt if your inpatient) so that they can see what speeds are being achevied on the download server queue under more normal network condtions.

whats your surrgestion then nextgen. let me guess keep adding extra bandwidth till the day comes that PN say they cant take the hit on the increase in costs of this bandwidth and say we need to raise your monthly subs or go bust
nextgenconsoles
Grafter

No. I'm just asking that psn, xbmp and appstore are not given the same traffic limiting as bittorrent & p2p. They are completely different.
As for VPN/remote causing overload at 9pm  I don't think so unless the uk have started working nights suddenly .
But I will give them time and once the snow has gone, if the above legitimate download servers are still slow, I and many existing/ potential customers will vote with our feet

scootie
Grafter

As for VPN/remote causing overload at 9pm   I don't think so unless the uk have started working nights suddenly .

true but all those kids that are allowed to stay up later due to schools being shut will be eating Grin there bandwidth nicely plus voip calls/skype ect people will be using to catch up with people they  havent sein due to being snow bound.
would be silly to see you leave over this. i could understand if it goes on for months but plusnet being the isp that likes to keep all its customers happy iam sure once normal network loads are back that are 0x60 queue traffic will be runing as normal with all the fix's they have put in place
edit=isnt 9pm about the time englands boring soap tv shows fhinsh. well know that this causes surges in the elecy grid and power has to be sorced from france to meet demand.
maybe your 9pm test was effected by a surge of mothers jumping from t.v to internet.
my atempt of lighting mood of the situation
1 more edit. i have never wiresharked p2p but i dont thing there in the same queue. i did wireshark of xbl map pack download and came back as 0x60. check here bob pullen reply 15 http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,72745.0.html
Mand
Grafter

Hi guys,
I can assure you we are working on this.
We have added another segment today, and have made some further tweaks to the network to try and improve the performance.
We'd appreciate some feedback on whether this makes any difference.
_CN_
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No. I'm just asking that psn, xbmp and appstore are not given the same traffic limiting as bittorrent & p2p. They are completely different.

They are NOT under the same rules.  These type of (classified) downloads will not achieve full line speed at peak times unless your on the Pro package as per http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/quality_broadband/speed.shtml where the 'expected' speeds are given as a guide and are 'up to'.  Yes speeds have been much slower than the expected speeds but work is happening to change this.
Noticed your on http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/archive/bb_premier1.shtml
nextgenconsoles
Grafter

jim:quote
thank you for clarification.
So even though I'm spending £22 a month, and I only get 3mb line speed out of a paid for 8mb ( which I fully appreciate is not under your control),I can't download appstore,xbmp and PSN at my line speeds. But when I look at your link, it says that the broadband your way pro is only 19.99 but completely unrestricted ?!
Speed issues are still there. Downloaded a piddly 56mb appstore app last night at around 7ish. At full whack speed (which from what you are saying, I wouldn't get anyway), it should have taken around 3 minutes. It took 2 hours.
please update this thread when you make some additional changes that I can test.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

quote from Carl Neenan
Plusnet Networks Team Leader

Noticed your on http://www.plus.net/suppo...archive/bb_premier1.shtml

that is not the same as BBYW pro and is dearer and has different traffic limits
nextgenconsoles
Grafter

So can someone describe the differences because from what I can see I'm paying £2 more a month with the same peak cap but a much reduced download speed for psn etc even without the current pn bandwidth issues.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

You get 16 hours a day off peak, Pro gets 8.
I'm on the same package as you but don't seem to be suffering the speed issues that you do since the new capacity has gone in.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
nextgenconsoles
Grafter

Thanks for the reply.
Strange that you aren't getting the speed issues with psn/xbmp/appstore