cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow XBLM, PSN, Itunes Store downloads after 6pm

nextgenconsoles
Grafter

Slow XBLM, PSN, Itunes Store downloads after 6pm

I'm getting a similar issue in a way. I'm on Broadband Premier Option 1 and have never fallen foul of going over my "cap allowance".
If I try to use the Xbox Live Market Place, Itunes Store (either on the PC or Iphone), or PSN after 6pm, I get really really slow download speeds.
Last night, I saw that 2.2.1 patch had been released for the Iphone, a mere 245mb. So at about 7pm I decided to try and download it. Nothing else was downloading at the same time. I was informed my Itunes that it would take 12 hours to download !! This on a 3mb connection. However, this morning, downloaded very quickly (about 12 minutes). Even if I'd been traffic mangaged down to 512kbs, the patch would have still downloaded reasonably quickly in the evening.
I also tried to download an update for the PS3, a 110mb photo album patch. After 1 hour it had finished 20%.
I've also noticed the same thing with XBLM downloading demos.
I  understand that sometimes the PSN, XBLM, Itunes store servers can get busy, but this is happening every day for the last two weeks.
If however I do a basic speed check then everything comes out fine. Web browsing is fine. Downloading after midnight or first thing in the morning is back to full speed.
Surely, my connection isn't been so massively speed capped ?
127 REPLIES 127
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Slow XBLM, PSN, Itunes Store downloads after 6pm

There are a few of us suffering the same thing http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,71626.16.html
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
James
Grafter

Hi,
There's a number of threads talking along similar lines (which we're not ignoring).
All of those traffic types are treated as "download servers" and as such have their speeds restricted during peak times of the day.  We know that these are running slower than expected and we're trying various measures to improve these, whilst also making sure that we're not impacting "Gold" traffic.
nextgenconsoles
Grafter

thanks for the reply. I did see the PS3 thread, but thought I would also mention Appstore as well.
I'm sure Plusnet will sort it out as these services, especially with the success of the Appstore, are becoming a major use of the net (in my house, anyway !)
cheers
Mat
nextgenconsoles
Grafter

just to bump my own post, is there any projected timeplan of the work required to get this fixed ? I had some friends over on Wednesday night to play some Ps3/360 games  (who were trying to convince me why I should go to Sky broadband !) 
To play one of their PS3 games, it required a 12mb patch.It just sat there for about 2 minutes before it got to 1% Sad
Very embarrassing seeing as I was trying to defend how good Plusnet have been in the past.
James
Grafter

Yep.
Additional additional capacity went in yesterday.
Dave's monitoring this evening and making ad-hoc changes where possible.  We'll review the situation on Monday.
nextgenconsoles
Grafter

great to hear. I'll give it a go tonight then. thanks for the update
cheers
nextgenconsoles
Grafter

Hi. Still no improvement I'm afraid at 7.30pm Sad downloading from psn at 1meg a minute. 20 times slower than it should be. I am sure you are working hard at fixing it but this is very frustrating
nextgenconsoles
Grafter

Any more news ?
This is now getting ridiculous.
A 12mb ps3 home update took over 30 minutes
An appstore update to a tiny game 20 minutes
Plusnet is ceasing to be an ISP , more of a basic web
Page and email serving service
Please fix this. If there is no progress before Friday it will be time to move and also ensure other people are aware of the situation Sad
James
Grafter

Hiya,
We're aware that this is still an issue, but mainly down to the increase in web & vpn traffic on our network because of the sheer volume of people working remotely from home over the last few days, which unfortunately is out of our control.
I'd hope for some improvement by the end of the week.
nextgenconsoles
Grafter

thanks for the reply.
I can appreciate during the day that the web traffic went up because of working from home because of the snow, but this wasn't my issue. This problem is still present at 8:00pm and 10:00pm.
Is anything else being done before the weekend to optimise your systems or are you just hoping that it will improve ?
Isn't there anyway to allow traffic to the PSN, XBL and Appstore servers to be allowed through without speed restrictions ? surely these servers have specific names, IP addresses ?
nextgenconsoles
Grafter

Another test tonight at 9pm
30 minutes to download a 26mb file on psn. Totally unacceptable.
Again . what other changes are you making. Are you dethrottling the psn, xbla , and appstore servers ?

nextgenconsoles
Grafter

thanks for the new topic.
However, firstly I can't understand why you are classifying totally legitimate download services such as XBLA, PSN and Appstore, as the same as Limewire etc. This seems completely wrong to me.
Secondly, your explanation as to download speed issues at early evening doesn't explain my findings over the last few days - i.e 30 times slower at 9pm.
I am sure you are working on this, but if this isn't fixed soon, you are going to lose a lot of existing and potential customers, if your network can't reclassify and handle these legitimate download locations.
James
Grafter

Hi,
Fully aware that these issues we're currently experiencing may cause some customers to cancel.
I've just updated Service Status and posted a few sticky threads in here with an update.  This isn't what we expect under normal conditions.
scootie
Grafter

i certanly will NOT be leaving due to this minor blip due to set of bad events.
i imagine free for all providers are suffering the same high demand but have not got the traffic managment in place to protect the actual gaming side of XBL and PSN.
all through this snow period my cod5 lag meter is bein full of nice green bars where looking at most others that i know are in england on diffrent isp's they have at best bein getting 3 bars.
cheers PN for giving me the edge.  I enjoyed  getting my 30 kill streak with no deaths all because others want FUP contracts.