Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow XBLM, PSN, Itunes Store downloads after 6pm

scootie
Grafter

Re: Slow XBLM, PSN, Itunes Store downloads after 6pm

put the beer on hold guys.
just ran some wiresharks in past half hour and only one stream was picked up as 0x80.
but all game demo downloads i tested where 0x80
did some one start on the beers early and get the streams and demo downloads the wrong way round  Crazy
from testing at 3pm all streams being gd(but i didnt wireshark them) to now at 5.30pm the streams are not buffering again but iam testing over my pc's wireless as normal when i do these wireshark's but before i moved xbox upstaris to do the wiresharks i had a quick stream hardwired and the 2 streams i tested didnt buffer as well so its not my bridged and wireless route my xbox traffic is making effecting them.
still setup to do some wiresharks if you need them for nxt hour or so.
If it's being picked up as 0x80, regardless of the time of day, hopefully we've cracked it.
It would previously have been picked up as 0x60, again, regardless of the time of day

sry jameseh i wasnt meaning the class changes at diffrent times of day.
was meaning that if both demos and streams where  classed as 0x60 even when network is not buzy that they both would be fighting for what 0x60 queue had to give at that time of day and  split the bandwidth between them Wink
but from the captures i see that they where not fighting as stream had the 0x60 queue to it's self why the demo was given the red carpet treatment on 0x80 Shocked
scootie
Grafter

satarday night at beetween 9pm-11pm i couldnt get a stream to buffer.
sunday night at 6.30pm all streams played perfect bar 1 that had a wee buffer mid play.
did'nt do any wireshark's but asume that the diffrence is just the time of day or the fact that i have resyn'ed today.
_CN_
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi, are you saying that its now working during peak?
SILVAF0XX

I don't think it has been resoved, as i tried to play a video stream off xbox live last night, and it buffered several times.
Sorry I'm not as forthcoming with information as ASBO DOG is, but when it comes to classification of traffic I get a bit lost!!
Just trying to let you know how things are behaving from several perspectives,
cheers,
Rich.
James
Grafter

Thanks Rich & AB.
I'll pass the information on and see if we can give things another crack.
James
Grafter

@ ASBO DOG
From what you're saying, I read that as mainly streams on Sunday were working fine, but generally you had problems on Saturday, but game downloads were working absolutely fine?
Did you manage to get any captures going at the same time as you were experiencing problems?  If so, was the streaming traffic being picked up as 0x60 or 0x80?  Was the game download also showing as 0x80?
We might need to tweak some things.
scootie
Grafter

sry but i didnt do any wireshark's satarday and sunday.
when i did them friday between 5pm and 5.30pm the results are as
just ran some wiresharks in past half hour and only one stream was picked up as 0x80.
but all game demo downloads i tested where 0x80

and only the 0x80 would buffer
satarday night at beetween 9pm-11pm i couldnt get a stream to buffer.
sunday night at 6.30pm all streams played perfect bar 1 that had a wee buffer mid play.
did'nt do any wireshark's but asume that the diffrence is just the time of day or the fact that i have resyn'ed today

i had another crack at streaming at 10pm on sunday and no streams would buffer full stop
so even at 5pm-7pm time slot its hit and miss some days that time is fine others its not
sry about not being able to supply wiresharks every time as i dont have a t.v in my bedroom that i manily do wireshark's on and have to nick my sisters portable and the quickist why to setup wireshark capture is to just run laptop downstaris on the LCD with my normal xbox setup but that depends if the likes of coranation street and eastenders are on as i dont even attempt to go near my xbox downstaris when these are on as i dont want my face rearranging Smiley
iam going to grab the laptop and see what there being picked up as now.
James
Grafter

Nothing to apologise for at all.
You've been beyond helpful Smiley
scootie
Grafter

just done some more wireshark's and to keep it short and sweet.
tested 15 lots,10 streams 5 game demo downloads
out of the 10 streams 4 where 0x80's rest 0x60's.
all 5 game demo downloads tested where 0x80's
sent 2 of the 0x60 caps to jameseh to fill his in tray up with Wink
even at 4pm the 0x60 streams where having trouble buffering/not buffering full stop
for any other customers that want to see which streams are being picked up as 0x80 i taken a snip of the files the 0x80's should play fine tonight at peak times
edit added the ip address to the file names on the screen capture and seems its the 87.248 range that is being picked up as 0x60. 87.248 range all limelight from the netherlands maybe some ones somkin some of those dutch cigarettes in the server room and chilling the traffic out to much Grin
_CN_
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@ASBO DOG, please do not apologise you've been a massive help
anyway I've now got the signature for Xbox streaming, I'll get this change done tomorrow.
So we'll have signatures to identify Xbox Marketplace Downloads, Xbox Marketplace streaming, PS3/PSP PSN Downloads, iTunes Downloads & iTunes Streaming from a Content Delivery Network (CDN), HTH :-0
_CN_
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@cubsfan
Thanks for your captures, we'll have a permanent fix for MLB.tv from tomorrow too ..
scootie
Grafter

nice one.
does that mean the xbl downloads will be classed as 0x60. i was hopein that you would have memory lose and leave them b Grin
Quote from: _CN_
the change for PS3/XBL & iTunes is only effective on Premier Option 1 & Unlimited while we monitor the platform, hopefully we can expand to other products next week, thanks

expand to other products which ones?
as looking at the traffic prioritsation page the gold plated queue is new to the unlimited and value and the old bbyw products dont have gold plated. only got bbyw 1 2 on cap as couldnt find it on the website so nicked it off one of oldjim's posts
Be3G
Grafter

Quote from: _CN_
So we'll have signatures to identify Xbox Marketplace Downloads, Xbox Marketplace streaming, PS3/PSP PSN Downloads, iTunes Downloads & iTunes Streaming from a Content Delivery Network (CDN), HTH :-0

Sounds promising... I'm intrigued though by the fact that you've got a signature for iTunes downloads as well as streaming; similar to ASBO's question below, does that mean that iTunes downloads will be subject to different traffic management than standard download server traffic?
Also, do you know what'll happen if someone purchases something from iTunes then immediately tries watching it as soon as it starts downloading? As that means that, in terms of the end-user experience, the purchased item is being streamed - but I suspect that PN's Ellacoyas will see it as download traffic, which means that anyone who wants to watch something as soon as they've purchased it may find themselves stuck waiting for a while before they can do so, owing to the 'download server' throttling that'll presumably be applied. Or will PN's Ellacoyas, in fact, be able to detect this 'hybrid' traffic as streaming, thus enabling the traffic to be prioritised?
cubsfan
Dabbler

Re: MLB.tv
Don't forget that the new media player won't be officially released until April 6th.  The last capture I sent you was from the beta version of the new player, so it is possible (though, I suppose unlikely) that the delivery method may change in the meantime.  Presumably, you found the rtmp stream in that last capture.  What I haven't been able to capture yet is any of the higher bandwidth streams, which, as they are only available via the autobahn plugin, may be different in some way to the lower bandwidth stream in that last capture.  Anyway, they are planning another live test tonight (Yankees v Red Sox), so, if I am still awake, and I can get past the wife playing solitaire on the computer, I'll try and capture some of the higher bandwidth traffic then.
SILVAF0XX

This all sounds very promising on the Xbox front... I'm inpressed with the support PN have given on this issue.
Lets hope it all works as it should do  Smiley
Rich