cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow XBLM, PSN, Itunes Store downloads after 6pm

scootie
Grafter

Re: Slow XBLM, PSN, Itunes Store downloads after 6pm

20:00 and itunes app download runs at 45-50KB/s if thats what xbl streaming is coming down at no wonder it buffers its heart out.
not done many ping tests since being on unlimited and bbc icmp pings are starting to look unstable. bby3 and when first switched to unlimited i was getting stable 16-20ms
now

Pinging bbc.co.uk [212.58.224.138] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 212.58.224.138: bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=120
Reply from 212.58.224.138: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=120
Reply from 212.58.224.138: bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=120
Reply from 212.58.224.138: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=120
Ping statistics for 212.58.224.138:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 19ms, Maximum = 31ms, Average = 25ms
think they need to plan the extra capicty better if there to keep the network in the old condtion
abrooks

Yeah speeds are sucking again. Took around 1.5 hours to download an album from iTunes, was moving at around 40Kb/s. Not impressive.
Be3G
Grafter

It's probably worth pointing out that on Plusnet's new products, there's a 512Kb rate limit on 'download servers' between 8-10pm - which translates in to about 60KB/s real-world download speed.
I'd also like to re-nudge Plusnet in to looking at sorting out iTunes streaming too. From the sound of this page on the iTunes Store, iTunes are rolling out HD previews of their HD content (up until now, they only provided SD previews). iTunes HD downloads have a bitrate of about 4Mbps - it would be painful trying to preview a few samples at that bitrate with things rate-limited to merely 0.5Mbps...
scootie
Grafter

iam not complaing about the itunes slow download.
its xbl streaming being classed as 0x60 gold plated thats anoying me 50KB/s peak time just isnt enough for streaming and needs classing as 0x80 gold.
i understand that it might be diffcult to spilt the streaming and game demo/add ons on xbl but it needs sorting as i want to watch the stream's when i log on about at this time of the evening not when i fhinsh gaming for the night
Be3G
Grafter

Indeed, which is why I started talking about iTunes, because the same problem exists with that: Plusnet are throttling all iTunes traffic, which means that when one attempts to stream something during peak hours, it's severely hindered by the same rate-limiting that's imposed on downloads.
James
Grafter

Thanks Guys.
Thomas & AB - I'm happy to speak with the relevant people here to see if anything can be done.
Also, please bear in mind that it was Patch Tuesday yesterday and I believe that there was a 1GB patch on Eve Online, so it might have been a bit mental last night.
Just for a comparison, latency on my O2 line last night was in the 200ms region.
scootie
Grafter

thats gd ping on o2 looking at there forum last night. Was winding them up with my damp length of string stats Grin
would be tip top if they manage to get a sig for xbl streaming. Granted i was aware of patch tuesday but it has bein like this every day of the week. i could put up with it. if it was now and then but seems in the previous weeks before a new segment is lit this will be the norm and it would drive me crazy Crazy
on the up side xbox cod lag meter still tip top under unlimited Wink . o how i love getting that ratio off o2 players Grin no wonder you dont play fps jameseh and stick to the simpsons
SILVAF0XX

Hi there,
just wanting to add my name to this thread in the hope that we can address the issues on XBL
We need to be able to watch the videos at "normal" times of the day!
I hope there is something that can be done...
my fingers are crossed  Roll_eyes
cubsfan
Dabbler

Hope this isn't too far off topic, but, please, can you also look at sorting out speeds for live video streams from MLB.tv.  They come through the Akamai network (usually seems to be IP address 88.221.26.43), and have DS field value of 0x60.  Thanks to ASBO DOG for pointing me at this thread.
scootie
Grafter

@ pn staff.
Any news on the progress of upgrading any of the streaming metioned here to 0x80 gold ?
Be3G
Grafter

I'm not sure the 'metallic' rating of the traffic is the main problem - or if it is, it's only part of the problem. The real issue seems to me to be the rate limiting applied to all download server traffic whether it's being downloaded or streamed... sure, giving the streaming traffic a gold priority would be good, but if it's still rate-limited to 512Kbps/1Mbps (depending on product) then we'll still see problems if the data we're trying to stream has a higher bitrate.
scootie
Grafter

thats what moving from 0x60 gold plated queue to the 0x80gold queue will solve. just hope they can work away of sperating the streaming form the non interactive 0x60 gold plated queue.
last night was awaful i did'nt get to see sentuamessage on xbl last night when tried at 9pm. gave up after it sat buffring for 1-2mins as i knew even if it did start it would re buffer with in seconds.
awaits pn verdict on the situation and will not be happy if reply is were lighting a new segment as you lit 3 last time before new products went live and that only solved the problem for for a couple of weeks.
James
Grafter

@Thomas
We're trying to get an iTunes sig from Ellacoya
@ASBO DOG
Can you PM me with some times you would be free this afternoon?  We'd like to use you to do some testing if that's okay by you?
cubsfan
Dabbler

James
Have you had a chance to look at MLB.tv, which comes through Akamai servers, as mentioned above?
Thanks
Alan
adie:quote
James
Grafter

Hi Alan,
We're trying to find a way to distinguish between standard Akamai traffic and your streaming.
If you give us half an hour or so, we're just putting through an interim measure which should iomprove your streaming.