cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Speed

wattsy
Grafter

Re: Slow Speed

Wires now removed from all extensions only 2&5 connected.
Results without the phone.

System Up Time 00:02:43
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 416 424 0 549 1647 00:02:20
LAN 100M/Full 743 867 0 2280 869 00:02:39

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 4480 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 36 db 8 db
Noise Margin 12 db 27 db

Results with phone.

System Up Time 00:05:04
WAN PPPoA 450 452 0 296 829 00:04:41
LAN 100M/Full 819 1086 0 1271 540 00:05:00

Noise Margin 14 db 27 db

Sky cable still not connected.
Haven’t change any filters just the same upset as earlier results.
Regards
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

OK, well done. That'll hopefully reduced the pickup of unwanted noise.
Don't worry about the results without the phone now, it was interesting to see what changes it was causing. At the moment it seems to improve the Noise Margin.
I suggest you try this next. Leave the router & phone & current "plug splitter microfilter" connected at the master socket and router on.
Take another set of router stats then immediately plug in that 'tamar' dangly (rat's tail) filter to your sky extension socket and plug the sky into it. Then immediately take another set of stats.
I say immediately so that the effect of other noise variations which will be going are hopefully not significant.
As an aside, as you know there are two cables at the rear of your 'sky' extension socket. Do you know which goes to the master and which goes to the other unused? was it one extension?
wattsy
Grafter

Hiya
Sorry I haven't got back to you as the wires or should I say one wire came out the sky socket  ( only one wire appear to be connected) and I have been playing about trying to get the wires back in with no success.
I’ll have to see if I can get a socket which is easier to work with than this one.
Regards
Anotherone
Champion

Hi Wattsy, been off for a while. Shouldn't be a problem. If you slacken off the screw for the terminal in question it will release the pressure on the springy top part of the contact. The wires need to insert (in the hole so to speak) between the bottom part (farthest from the screw) and the springy bit. When you look at it you think there is no gap, but a gentle push will sort it. Unlike an IDC connector though, the insulation has to be removed from the tip of the wire so that about 5mm of bare wire can be seen.
I hope I've explained that well enough. The type of socket you've got is the best for a DIY job.
wattsy
Grafter

Hiya
    That is just it, wouldn't you know. The adapter doesn't have a screw. So trying to get the wire in the hole in the contact is near impossible.

I've tried  to prise the contact up a little to no avail. So I'll have to see what I can purchase to-morrow.

I did have a quick shop around this  afternoon but none of the adapters I looked at seem to have a screw.
  Regards Wattsy

wattsy
Grafter

This is quick check  I have done. Nothing has been changed.

System Up Time 07:07:45
WAN PPPoA 23834 30644 0 249 1856 04:36:08
LAN 100M/Full 47166 64394 0 1644 397 07:07:41

Noise Margin 2147483646 db 27 db

Powered down for 10mins and then got this results

System Up Time 00:00:54
WAN PPPoA 46 36 0 130 87 00:00:30
LAN 100M/Full 155 153 0 1045 372 00:00:50

Connection Speed 3968 kbps 448 kbps
Noise Margin 9 db 25 db

Regards Wattsy
Anotherone
Champion

Hi Wattsy, give me 10 mins. or so and I'll post some info for you.
Anotherone
Champion

Hiya,
Well I'm sorry you've been having a bit of bother. First the stats, I'm guessing that there's been a bit of noise on the line somewhere (it might be when you were having a go at the wiring - no worries). The noise figure itself is nothing to get excited about, some modem/routers give an "off the scale" figure when they see an extreme noise spike! The latest figures - well it's getting dark now, noise levels are increasing.
Back to the trouble with this wiring. I assume I've not misunderstood - you are talking about the "sky" socket - you attached a photo of it a while back. I've annotated it with a green arrow showing you where the screw is for terminal 5 and attached it here. Obviously there's one for each of the terminals. You slacken them off by turning in an anti-clockwise direction and conversely tighten by going clockwise (I'm stating this for clarity as some people aren't mechanically minded - you may already know this). Having slackened the offending screw, you should be able to get the wires in the side as I explained earlier. I hope that helps.
Edit: sorry that green arrow isn't clearer.
Edit again: Just in case you don't know, clicking on the image opens it in a new window, larger.
wattsy
Grafter

Hiya
Oh thanks that's great, I didn't realise  about putting it into the extension socket. That setup in photo is what the Sky chap did when sky was installed.
Here's me running around looking for an adapter.
There are 4 wires but again just like the extensions just put the blue,blue/ white into 5  leave orange, orange/white out.
  Reagards Wattsy
Anotherone
Champion

Just to double check, in that 'sky' socket - there should be two wires blue-with white trace in terminal 2, and two wires white-with blue trace in terminal 5. Of course, those are the same colours on all the sockets.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

@anotherone, I hope you are not reading it wrong, Wattsy has a separate Sky adaptor with the lead coming out of the back of it, has she broken this wire, or is it the wire in the wall box we are talking about?
Anotherone
Champion

I hope not as well.
Wattsy are you talking about one of the wires from the sky plug in adapter bit as per the photo that pierre has re-attached above, or were you talking about the back of the socket?
If it was the plug in adapter bit then you can't connect that to the back of the socket, it has to go via a filter.
If it is the plug in adapter bit, Pierre is searching for a new bit, it'll probably be easier to replace the complete lead. (Hint, hint, pierre). I don't have sky so Pierre will have to confirm - I presume the lead plugs into the rear of the sky receiver, but what type of connector is it?
wattsy
Grafter

Hiya, LOL
Yes it's the wires from the sky phoneline adapter that have come away, ( as Pierre has reattached) .
Yes it  goes to the sky box.  I was trying and hoping to get another adapter as the phone line of-course goes right across my livingroom to the
television under the carpet.
I did try to get the wires into the extension but couldn't manage it  (just as well) LOL
Regards Wattsy

Anotherone
Champion

Oh dear, my fault misreading that, I thought something didn't quite follow, there was me thinking you'd had a glass or two, perhaps I should have had one or two, I might have read it right LOL  Grin
I guess you don't want to replace the whole lead then if it can be avoided, does a cover come off the adapter where the lead goes in so that the connections can be seen? If you could do a photo of it, we might be able to sort it. It may be an IDC connector.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Sorry I dont have Sky either, it looks like the adaptor has a clipped on plate to cover the terminals - Sorry, I think from what I have heard, you have about two weeks to rectify before Sky takes notice