Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Speed

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Slow Speed

One thing which isn't clear from your answers - if you plug in the phone does the speed or noise margin drop. If it does that answers it.
If it doesn't then I must admit I am puzzled.
There is a source of interference somewhere which we haven't found.
The fact that the poor results were in the evening points to the ring wire picking something up.
Can you disconnect 3 and 4 wires - the orange ones.
I assume you only have one extension socket in the house.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

How about a Burglar Alarm?
wattsy
Grafter

Hiya Jim
Please bear with me!!!! Before I went to take out the wires number 3 had come away and I lose connection both with router and phone. Reconnected all router cables, rebooted no improvement.
I carried on anyway and took out number 4 so now only 2 & 5 connected. But I have to use the test socket can not get connected through main.
I have the sky cable disconnected and using the test socket here are the results.

System Up Time 00:07:19
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 2212 2913 0 814 7345 00:06:12
LAN 100M/Full 3117 2723 0 6614 932 00:07:15

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 5568 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 37 db 8 db
Noise Margin 15 db 24 db

Noise Margin 15db with phone in and 13db with phone out no other change. Using test socket.

Regards
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I don't understand that.
With only 2 and 5 connected and the lower face plate screwed back on the front socket doesn't work - is this correct or does the front socket work but the extension doesn't
wattsy
Grafter

Yes Jim that was the case but I've disconnected router cables reconnected them, faceplate back on and it appears to be working now from main not test socket.
I haven't got sky cable connected but that's is only for using interactive I believe. Do you think I should replace the filters, and which would you advice?
Here is the latest results
System Up Time 01:15:45
WAN PPPoA 1392 1516 0 721 1271 00:10:22
LAN 100M/Full 15200 17826 0 2162 896 01:15:41

Connection Speed 4736 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 37 db 8 db
Noise Margin 15 db 24 db

Regards
adie:quote
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Because of all the messing about we have been doing it looks as though the default noise margin has increased to 15dB - once things settle down that should sort itself out.
Sky boxes phone home at odd times and then can cause problems.
Can you confirm that the phone now works in the extension socket  - I assume that is where it normally is.
You are still losing a chunk of speed due to the internal wiring even with nothing connected to the extension socket.
Just so we make the correct recommendations can you advise which sockets you would normally use for the phone and the router - the extension socket or the master socket
wattsy
Grafter

Sorry Jim , I had intended to say that, the master socket has the main phone and router. The other  extensions  in the house are not used other than one in the living room which Sky usually go into. The other phones are connected through electrics.
Here is a run down of the whole wiring.  Master socket  router and phone. Extension cable goes upstairs, then downstairs again to living room then kitcken. Only extension box used other than master is the one in the livingroom for sky. Hope you can follow that,
Had any thoughts about the filters
Regards
jim:quote

Oldjim
Resting Legend

First Wattsy - can you please stop hitting the quote button as quoting the previous post in full is against forum rules. Just hit the reply button underneath the post
Having said that - back to your question.
Your description of the wiring tells me that you should fit a filtered faceplate - this is the one I recommend XTE 2005 This will completely isolate your house wiring from the router and mean that you don't need any other filters
By electrics I assume you have a DECT phone and the others all work off that
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi folks,
Hi wattsy, having read through this thread so far their may be two problems here, now compounded by the Target SNRM going to 15dB which will result in some lower sync speeds until it goes down again. First a tip, when disconnecting anything which may involve the router losing sync, ie unplugging, filters, the main faceplate etc. powerdown the router first and wait at least a minute before unplugging it from the line. Try to avoid doing this more than about 5 times in an hour, the exchange may otherwise think you have a problem, and although it's already raised the Target SNRM to 15dB (it won't be set higher) it may lengthen the recovery time, but that is something to deal with when the other points are sorted.
Jim has suggested using a filtered faceplate, which is a solution that will get rid of the need for dangly filters at your other sockets on the assumption that you will not need to plug your router into any of them at any point in the future. In the meantime this is not essential to solving your immediate problem.
The first thing to deal with is the internal wiring - you have already dealt with the bell wire (3) and it's mate (4) at the master socket, these are the orange wires. You should also disconnect them at the extension sockets. Whilst you are looking at the rear of the extension sockets, check that they are proper extension plates with no components on the back.
We'll deal with the other bit next, but to that aim do you have a spare filter and do you know what type of filters they are that you are using? Are they the dangly "rat's tail" type, any model number on them?
wattsy
Grafter

Sorry I didn't realise about qoutes I consided myself told off.
All the extensions box backplates have six sets of wires, is a case I just remove the orange wires
Thanks for the advice regarding power downing the router.
Regards
wattsy
Grafter

The filter on the master socket is a telecom double phone & modem adapter with surge protection from PC World which was a spare but new so using that at moment.
The other is just a block like with no model number which is also fairly new just like the ones I did get from PN.

Regards
scootie
Grafter

The filter on the master socket is a telecom double phone & modem adapter with surge protection from PC World

was you using the surge protecter filter when you where connected to the test socket?
wattsy
Grafter

No just using since earlier this evening.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Some pictures may help. What exactly did you have connected when you did reply #32 - those are the sort of figures we're looking for.
Could you confirm what you've got connected now amd post the current stats. Don't go re-syncing tonight, noise levels will now be worse and your sync speed will drop. Best time for you to do the swapping about is middle of the day.
wattsy
Grafter

At reply 32
I had just remove the orange wire from master socket though just prior to that I had lost router connection and phone. Don't know what happened.
Yes I'll take photo of socket in the morning, camera battery flat at the moment. 
Connected to master socket router and phone through telecom filter. There is a block filter in the other three extension boxs. I can't think of a another word to discribe the filters.
Here are the present results

System Up Time 11:10:25
WAN PPPoA 15367 16640 0 284 636 04:13:00
LAN 100M/Full 42508 80030 0 608 351 11:10:21

Connection Speed 3456 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 36 db 8 db
Noise Margin 6 db 26 db

Regards