cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Speed for Over a Year - help!

RobS2
Grafter

Re: Slow Speed for Over a Year - help!

OpenReach came again today.  This time one of their "experts" came (who was previously just a broadband engineer last time he came).  He changed the cable from the Cab to my house as "this often has problems".  The sync speed jumped to 2.2mbps which is above the FTR so hopefully the connection speed will increase.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

That sounds like progress. When you've got a moment, post a set of daytime and a set of nighttime Router stats.
RobS2
Grafter

I am not quite sure how to explain these results from yesterday and earlier today:
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Your DSL connection rate: 2016 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP profile for your line is - 1750 kbps
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 24 kbps
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Your DSL connection rate: 1984 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP profile for your line is - 1500 kbps
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 99 kbps
Router stats are:
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 1984 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 61 db 15.5 db
Noise Margin 10 db 13 db
Anotherone
Champion

Are you keeping your router on 24/7? If not, suggest you turn it on in the middle of the day and leave it on. Your sync speed should be slightly better and your profile will recover quicker.
As you say you were on a fixed 2M connection previously, I would press PN to press BTw to ask what have they done to your line attenuation? It is still much too high & what about the pair from the Cab to the exchange?
RobS2
Grafter

The whole thing seems to be getting worse.  So far the cable from the exchange to the can has been changed.  The cable from the cab to the end of my road has been changed.  The BT person decided not to change the cable from the end of my road to my house as these never have problems.  I had a couple of evenings of disconnection followed by connections speeds of 12-24kbps.  Line did sync at 2000+ at one point but has slowed right down again and won't go over 500 now.  Router is left switched on 24/7.  It is the second router as the original was replaced as BT didn't know what to do next (before they changed the line from the cab to the end of my road which previously never gave problems, to often gives problems according to the BT person, once I had bought the router.)
Anotherone
Champion

All cables can give problems Roll_eyes
The BT person decided not to change the cable from the end of my road to my house as these never have problems.
What a load of rubbish. I hope you've bounced this back on your fault ticket. And they've still not explained why your attenuation has gone from mid 40's to 60+dB Angry
RobS2
Grafter

Problem still with BT / OpenReach, but escalated within PN given the length of time it has continued for.  However the customer (me) still has a very slow connection and still paying for the full broadband service.  NFH!
RobS2
Grafter

All I can say is that Plusnet have really disappointed me.  After speaking to another person today they appeared to have dropped the case.  Despite my insistance that they didn't  reset my MSR, they have done so by temporarily putting me onto a fixed rate service for a couple of days.  I have been told that someone will contact me and no one does.  PN claim that Openreach won't do anything more as they have done all they can.  What really annoys me is that the last section of line to my house has dead trees resting on it which hardly indicates that everything has been done.
I have gone from 2Mbps and able to have an extension cable on my line  to 0.5Mbps and any extension cable causes the connection to fail.  Wouldn't be a huge issue if my main BT point wasn't in the loft, but it is.  Are there any other ISPs worth trying?