cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Speed for Over a Year - help!

RobS2
Grafter

Re: Slow Speed for Over a Year - help!

Yes.  A remote filter is plugged into the Test socket and the router and phone are both plugged in to the filter.  Phone is a BT wireless system, haven't tried changing this yet.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Can you try with a wired phone as some DECT phones can cause problems.
Even better when you go to bed can you remove the phone and resync the router - it should give a better speed then leave the router on overnight without a phone connected and see if it loses sync
RobS2
Grafter

Thanks for the advice Jim.  I'll find another phone and post the results.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi RobS2,
well when I first saw your test results, I thought that's nailed part of it - faulty NTE2000, however your reply #13 killed that one. So we left with faulty rear of Master LineBox, Faulty Line or Fault at the exchange - on the assumption that the DECT phone isn't causing a problem (didn't get it at around the time your problems started by any chance?). Anyway to rule it out, you must try a corded phone.
Second point, I wasn't going to mention this sooner because it was important to see the test results first - this reported DS attenuation of 60dB, confirmed by two routers as well as a PN test. Well, there is no way you could have had a 2M fixed service with that attenuation. The attenuation should be in the low 40's, which means on a maxDSL service you should be able to sync upto around 7M on a good line. (Even on current figures you should get 2.5M or thereabouts). You are also quite right not wanting you fault threshold reset.
If the results from the last test Jim suggested, and also using a corded phone confirm what we have seen already, you need to update you ticket in the morning, with the following information -
That you have carried out tests at the test socket using two different routers, both initially synced at 1284 then there was a loss of sync and it resynced at 135. You have no extension wiring and a NTE2000 faceplate supplied and fitted by BT. The results indicate that the fault is either the rear of the Master LineBox, the Line to the Exchange, or at the exchange. Furthermore, before you moved to PN you were on a 2M fixed rate service which could only have been supplied with a line attenuation in the low 40's. Yet another clear indicator of a fault which is unrefutably BT's responsibility. PN should now ensure that having already had 2 engineer visits that this is escalated to a more senior level at BT so that a proper investigation and repair of the line is undertaken forthwith.
Hopefully James will see all this and ensure it is progressed. Quoting the ticket number here, may also help.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: RobS2
A remote filter

Er, exactly what is that?
The whole idea of the Test Socket is that it disconnects all extension wiring when exposed ......
RobS2
Grafter

By remote filter I mean a an ADSL filter that plugs into a telephone socket.  In this case I have plugged it straight into the Test Socket.  The router plugs into the filter as does the telephone.
I have attached a link:
www.adsl-filters.co.uk
RobS2
Grafter

With no phone connected there doesn't appear to be any differences.  I have booked another OR visit for 20 April.
RobS2
Grafter

Unfortunately the OR engineer could not find a problem.  The suggestion is to replace the router with another one as it must be my equipemnt that is faulty, not theirs. 
What does the following mean in English:
clear rejected as circuit is syncing below FTR - however this will be and SFI repeat visit (multiples) and as cse cpe attained 2.3MB and an alternative device has been provided - then discussion with SFI will be require.d Line route seems to have been shortened previously as well.
James
Grafter

FTR = Fault Threshold Rate (10% below MSR (Maximum Stable Rate) which is the lowest sync speed attained during the first ten days).
SFI = BT Engineer
CPE = Customer Premises Equipment (Router)
Basically it's saying that the speed is still slow despite multiple engineer visits and the cable length has already been shortened.  We're waiting on BT next course of action.
Anotherone
Champion

Slight typo there in the first line --- replace "1" with "2".
I can think of another meaning for SFI but it's unprintable Embarrassed
James
Grafter

Yep, my mistake.  Thanks Chris.
RobS2
Grafter

At the request of OpenReach and PN I purchased a new router.  The speed is unchanged.  Any ideas what happens next?
Anotherone
Champion

Rob can you post the complete line stats from the new modem/router.
RobS2
Grafter

These are the results from BT Speedtest.
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 576 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 135 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 167 kbps
I'll post the router stats later this evening.  When the new router was installed it initially syncd at 1800+, but has since dropped back.
RobS2
Grafter

Router stats below:
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 576 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 63 db 15.5 db
Noise Margin 5 db 13 db