cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Speed both ways

penneck
Aspiring Pro

Re: Slow Speed both ways

I dont know why I got away with it either. I had assumed that as a phone would normally connect directly into the phone point, I wouldn't need a filter in that path, but the filter would be required for the modem. After all, if for no other reason, how else would I connect the cable from the modem into the telephone line - the plugs are different. However, last night I managed to get a circuit diagram for what is inside the filter, and discovered the filter circuitry is only in the branch that the phone would plug into. The filter ADSL output is wired direct to the filter input.
I am giving the system a chance to settle with the second filter added between the telephone point and the phone. If that doesn't make much improvement, I'll go and get a long RJ11 cable. Problem will be to make sure it is twisted-pairs before I have to pay for it.
I'll will let you know how things go
Thanks to everyone for their help
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

It sounds like the others posting in here have been getting you in the right direction here. Let us know when you've sorted the internal wiring out and we'll reset the line for you (if needed).
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Okay, I've bitten the bullet, and now I have a filter at the telephone point, and a Maplin Ultra High Speed  10 metre ADSL Lead from the filter to the router. The Maplin cable claims to have ultra screening, so maybe all I need now is for the line reset that Chris mentioned.
What do I have to do to set that particular process in motion?
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Assuming the connection stabilises with that set-up, the DLM should do that automatically for you, although it might take a few days.
If you don't want to wait, the DCT guys can request it for you. They probably won't pick this up before Monday, though.
How do the stats from your router look now?
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Morning Jaggies. Have just run a speed test - 018Mbps Download, 0.88Mbps Upload, 35.13mSecs Ping Latency.
Have looked at other topics to see if others have found ways to solve similar problem. I dont know how they are getting much more detail such as SNR, etc, so I am unable to supply you with that kind of info.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Can you do the "Show Statistics" thing again, please? Also, check your Current Line Speed on the portal.
penneck
Aspiring Pro

System Up Time 19:53:38
Port        Status        TxPkts        RxPkts      Collisions    Tx B/s    Rx B/s    Up Time
WAN      PPPoA      25762        23864              0              57          274      19:52:39
LAN    10M/100M    23097        21974              0              293            60      19:53:35
WLAN  11M/54M      3031            4920              0                  7            19      19:53:24

ADSL Link                      Downstream      Upstream
Connection Speed          284 kbps          1040 kbps
Line Attenuation                  31 db                  10 db
Noise Margin                        31 db                    5 db

Estimated line speed:
There's no speed estimate currently held on your account.
Current line speed:
0.2 Mb
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

I suggest that this line needs an SNRM reset!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

penneck
Aspiring Pro

How do I get that?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Asking here is usually enough... Will need to wait for DCT to catch this thread.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

penneck
Aspiring Pro

I hope they are good at catching. Will they tell me they have done the reset, or will I only find out when I notice that the speed has gone up?
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

If they spot this thread they'll tell you they have placed the order..
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
penneck
Aspiring Pro

Re: Speed fault or connection fault.

Matthew,
It would be nice if someone from Plusnet would look at my connection to see if there is a problem they can fix. I've been struggling with a speed problem  for nearly two weeks - see my post called something like "Slow speed in both directions". The last post on that thread was from Strat on 16th so it is on page 4 of the list of threads now.
I've used the BT Wholesale Speed Test several times, and that has always quoted speeds of about 200mbps and 800mbps (or does that give misleading answers too)
If Plusnet find that their system is not the cause of the problem, then please let me know, but I have changed cabling, filter, and tried the router Plusnet sent me a year or so ago
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Dick:green Topics merged.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Do you have a fault open to report slow speeds?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)