cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Speed = Wrong IP profile / IP profile need resetting?

GrottoTree
Grafter

Re: Slow Speed = Wrong IP profile / IP profile need resetting?

Between the 20th October and 26th October my speeds dropped at some point, but don't know when.
Regarding my upload speed, after the 26th my speed went down from 9-11Mbps to 6-7Mbps over time to where it is at the moment. It did start to go back up approaching 10/11Mbps but then dropped back down to 6Mbps. I did change port forwarding settings on my router at this time, although did not unplug any equipment; so not sure if that has any relevance. (i.e does restating my router affect the connection between the  vdsl modem and the street cabinet)
And as for my download; has remained at 45Mbps give or take a few mbps variance since I noticed the problem.
And thanks all for your cooperation..I appreciate your help
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You need to be absolutely certain that none of your servers are responding to requests or the live stream providing a feed when you run the test - I'd suggest unplugging everything from the router except the one PC you use for the test (and that needs to be connected wired).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
GrottoTree
Grafter

I am not currently live streaming and was relating to you tube partner streaming facility's that I have; and as for my server, I tried stopping apache and rerunning the test but no difference.
I have also tried other things like disabling QOS, etc... but to no avial, and in addition my server was running fine, QOS was enabled, etc... before all the problems began.
Additionally come to think of it, had SKY HD installed on the 24th; could the telephone splitter that sky plugged in affected anything; event though the telephone and dsl socket are seprate and filterd by VDSl faceiplate
thesawdust
Grafter

unplug the phone line for sky! Unless you purchase from the box office?
See if anything changes  Roll_eyes
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Well if you were on ADSL you could unplug the Sky box and compare the router stats (sync speed, attenuation, noise margin, error rates) before and after. But in their infinite wisdom BT have locked down the modem so you can't get at that. Some BT modems can be unlocked or you could get hold of your own modem. The best you could do at present is leave the Sky box unplugged for a few days and see if things improve.
@All: Does anyone have any knowledge of whether double filtering Sky boxes helps?
thesawdust
Grafter

@jelv
I was told not use filter the Sky cable? I actually cut my sky cable off as i don't ever use it (It's not required)
jelv
Seasoned Hero

For both ADSL and FTTC VDSL everything connected to a phone socket MUST be filtered. With FTTC the filtering is normally provided by the BT filtered face plate and extension sockets are connected to the filtered side of the faceplate so no additional filters are required.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

I can see that a telephone fault has been detected and our suppliers are expecting to carry out the necessary work to resolve this by the end of the day tomorrow. Once that's been cleared we'll take a further look at the Fibre issue and take things from there.
thesawdust
Grafter

i think this Applies to ADSL only? BTOR change faceplate on FTTC installs  Shocked
GrottoTree
Grafter

Just had a reply to my initial enquiry; you may want to look at this: https://portal.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=77064524
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Yep, I've seen that already Smiley
We're just awaiting the telephone fault to be cleared at the moment.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: thesawdust
i think this Applies to ADSL only? BTOR change faceplate on FTTC installs  Shocked

It's a filtered face plate that they fit!