cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Speed Sadness

noxy

Slow Speed Sadness

Hello! Sorry to add another speed related post, I hope you enjoy answering these?  Cheesy
I've been experiencing slower than normal speeds (about half the normal speed) and various connection hiccups for a while now. I referred a friend to Plusnet who lives in the same building (I'm in a contained flat), and the problems seemed to start shortly after they joined, maybe this is just coincidental, but I don't remember having any problems prior.
I am connected directly to the test socket with all non-essential devices unplugged, here are my stats:
Plusnet line speed
Estimated line speed:
There's no speed estimate currently held on your account.
Current line speed:
1.3 Mb
BT Wholesale diagnostics
Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.82 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.8 Mbps-2 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 1.35 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.36Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.45 Mbps
Router stats
Downstream / Upstream
SNR Margin (0.1 dB): 68 / 150
Attenuation (0.1 dB): 635 / 315
Output Power (0.1 dBm): 159 / 123
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 1728 / 920
Rate (Kbps): 1536 / 448

My router is a TP-Link TD-W8960N.
I hope I've been clear enough. Any help is appreciated.
Thank you!
Dan
4 REPLIES 4
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Re: Slow Speed Sadness

Hi,
Thanks for bring this to our attention. Your profile has been changed at our side, but you will need to drop your connection and restart it to get the improved speeds. Please let me know if you still have problems after this.
I've also added your details to a problem raised internally as this should have been resolved automatically for you.
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Hi Tony,
What gives here please?
Aside from the fact that the line is a bit slow for 64dB attenuation (expect 1.9Mbps) all of the above figures (synch speed and profiles) look correctly aligned.  What hidden grit in the oyster did you find?  Was it just no PPP drop after the profile update?
Is there anything to indicate why the synch speed is a tad low?  At these speeds every addition Kbps is pure gold!
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Sorry for the delay in replying Kevin,
The fix was a profile change on our end. The problem with connections not automatically dropping has since been resolved.
I'd like to provide more speed to the line, but I don't want to make changes which could ultimately make things worse.
@noxy I hope everything is still ok.
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Townman
Aside from the fact that the line is a bit slow for 64dB attenuation (expect 1.9Mbps)

It's possible that the 63.5 / 31.5 values are just the maximum possible values that this particular modem/router can report on ADSL1. I think the 63.5 and 31.5 limits are due to the limited number of bits to hold those values in some of the messages that are part of ADSL1. The line attenuation could actually be greater.