Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow,Slow..Quick ,Quick Slow.

FIXED
Railman1
Dabbler

Slow,Slow..Quick ,Quick Slow.

Look, I live out in the wild and desolate plains of Cheshire.I knew the broadband speeds were not going to be great,living so far out from London (where all the big money on broadband is spent)..But when I checked with Plusnet ,before my house move down here. I was told I would get 1 - 3 Mbts..I realised that...I accepted that..But what I don't accept is only getting 0.5 Mbts on a regular basis...UNLESS I TYPE IN ' BROADBAND SPEED TEST' FIRST...and then surprise!!! surprise!!! the speed suddenly rises to 1.6 - 2.0 Mbts...and for this privilege I am charged, what is it now???? .. the price is irrelevant..IF IT WAS FREE ,IT WOULD BE TOO MUCH AT THE SPPED I'M GETTING....

Anyone else tried the 'speed test lottery' with Plusnet or BT ?

19 REPLIES 19
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Slow,Slow..Quick ,Quick Slow.

Have you come here looking for help to try to improve your speed or just to share your gripe? If it's the former then maybe some-one apart from Plusnet staff who occasionally visit this forum may be able to help you get the best out of what sounds to be a terrible connection..

If you are looking for advice please provide more details such as which router you are using and whether you are connected using Ethernet cable or wireless, if you're here just to complain then I wish you well.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 157

Yes North Cheshire is a bit of a desert for high speed broadband and indeed decent mobile signals.

Which exchange are you on? Some are really naff around here, having no support for 21CN services. Is your phone line noisy? Dial 17070 option 2.

Can you please post your full router stats.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, 

Line tests are showing a copper line fault, that in turn is impacting on your speeds. 

Can you try following the checks here please?

https://goo.gl/hcHRDv

PS it is impossible not to hear Windsor Davies' voice in your head when reading your posts. Smiley

Adam 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Railman1
Dabbler

Sorry not to have been able to reply sooner,had to go back to hospital after a stroke last week.....

Thanks Adam,that could explain a lot. Part of the small estate I live on are having new roofs fitted and a telecom company ( not BT) have been around lately re-routing wires (to get them out of the way of the scaffolding, I presume).Will have to investigate who to take to task, the housing association,the scaffold company,or BT and the company they gave the contract to...Decisions,Decisions.

Thanks again to you all.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 157

Ultimately it is still down to BTOR to fix.  If there is a fault showing, I'd follow the fault reporting route and let BTOR fix THEIR network, regardless of who is responsible for the damage.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Sorry to hear about your difficulties and let me know how you get on with the checks.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Railman1
Dabbler

All the checks on phone ok ..no noise,no other problems, new filter.Just intermittent BUT REGULAR slow speeds,as I said before,it will suddenly speed up to 1.6Mbs  ( thought upload won't even start on some speed test sites?).Checked computer plugged in to back of router (not just by wi-fi).

Do I have raise a fault with Plusnet and go from there?Huh

Railman1
Dabbler

Update.....

Plusnet just rang to talk about problem, unfortunately:

1) I can't talk because of the stroke.

2) My son who answered didn't know about broadband problem.

3) Guess what....the 'line' was breaking up all the time and he could fully understand the Plusnet rep.

Kudos to Pusnet though, for following up broadband problem.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hello Railman1

If you'd rather deal with us directly and you're unable to speak then feel free to keep dealing with us via myself on here. 

If there's noise on the line and you've ruled out the checks I pointed you to (i.e the most important ones being to connect a phone into the test socket and if possible to try another handset) then the next step would be to arrange an engineer visit. 

Let me know where you're up to with what I mentioned then I can keep things moving forward for you. 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Railman1
Dabbler

Thanks Adam...Dealing with problem on line would be better for me, at this moment in time.

All usual checks carried out,test socket etc.....Just changed filter again, for an almost new one I had in drawer.. Router on main telephone connection, no phone extension lines in house. Socket renewed by BT engineer in Aug last year...Like I said in original post though a secondary telecommunication contracting company were round a couple of weeks ago,'up the pole', messing with wiring, for diversions for new roofs being fitted.

Don't know how to get router stats to post on line ,so can't help you much there.

Speed seems to be holding at 1.3 Mbts download, 0.6Mbts Upload at this moment, in time....(over wi-fi).

Always been very happy with Plusnet and all the service they have always give us.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks, 

The checks you've mentioned are more relevant to a broadband issue. I know that's what you're seeing but tests show me it's happening due to an issue with the copper line.

With that in mind can you let me know if you've been able to rule out the checks here? https://goo.gl/hcHRDv

Adam

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Railman1
Dabbler

Sorry for a late reply Adam, but not been too well. I can confirm I have checked all the methods you mentioned and no problems arose. If you say that your tests are showing a line fault, then I would like the problem escalated to a fault and a ticket raised.

As of 17:30 my broadband speed is now standing at around 0.3 Mbts download...(not a happy bunny).

Regards and thanks for your assistance.

Bill  

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Fix

Hi Bill. Our testing isn't finding a issue with the phone line now, so I've raised a broadband fault with our suppliers.

To progress this, we'll need to arrange an engineer visit.

You can view and reply to the ticket I've raised from here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=169947998

Hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Railman1
Dabbler

Thanks Gandalf. Engineer came this morning tested line and found the feed had reverted to basic supply, possible due to the earlier line fault Plusnet found...though line test now showing excellent. After a manual reset at the exchange  ( or where ever) speed popped back up to the dizzy highness of 1.6 Mbts ( which is normal for around here). So once again I'm up and crawling.

Just as an aside. With the fault now repaired I can once again get my speech therapy ( need after my stroke 4 weeks ago) over 'Factime'. So not only have you assisted me, you have also assisted the NHS in saving time and money, as my speech therapist only has to come to my home once a week now instead of three times a week,and seeing as there are only two of them in our area the time she has saved in travelling means she can now assist at least one other person in the week.

Keep up the good work ...this includes ALL OF YOU IN THE COMMUNITY..and thanks for the help.