Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Internet.

FIXED
richardglover65
Dabbler

Slow Internet.

Hi, 

I had a problem with my Internet connection a few months ago, which I'm happy to say was quickly fixed. However, after that was done, the speed was a little slower (about 7Mbps instead of 8.),but I was willing to accept this. Over the last few weeks though, the speed seems to have gotten progressively worse and is now testing at about 4-5Mbps.  Can anything be done to resolve this please? 

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Re: Slow Internet.

Fix

Hi @richardglover65,

I'm sorry that you've been experiencing problems with the performance of your broadband connection, following the previous fault.

I've tested your line and the test indicates that it's currently syncing at 7mbps, but with underlying performance errors that will be affecting the connection on your side:

xDSL Status Check
Circuit ID: CBUKXXXXXXXXX Service ID: BBEUXXXXXXXXX
Telephone NO.: NA Test Executed On: 01-05-2019 09:11:25
xDSL Status Test Summary
Sync Status: Circuit In Sync
General Information
NTE Status:   NTE Power Status: Unknown Bypass Status:  

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 24.8 42.5
SNR Margin: 5.9 9.0
Errored Seconds: 0 4
HEC Errors: 0  
Cell Count: 828 2377
Speed: 1199 7503

Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 8128 Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 6502
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 86400 Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 8775
Indicative Line Quality: A Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 136
Custom Thresholds
MTBR_RED: MTBE_RED:
MTBR_GREEN: MTBE_GREEN:

It appears that the errors on the line are due to a setting being incorrect. The signal to noise ratio (SNR) is too low for the length of your line. The SNR helps the line to remain stable and unaffected by noise or interference on the line. The higher the setting for SNR, the higher the level of noise can be tolerated.

The SNR for your line was set too low for the amount of interference we'd expect to see, so by increasing this we expect the connection to now stabilise and for the information to be received without interference. Please monitor the connection over the next couple of days and let us know if you continue to experience any problems.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
richardglover65
Dabbler

Hi Emily, 

Thanks for your reply and action. I've been keeping an eye on the speeds over the last week or so and it does seem to have improved somewhat. Tests are now showing speeds at between 6 and 6.4Mbps. Can anything more be done is that the best I should expect now? 

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @richardglover65, thanks for updating us.

We're pleased to hear that the speed has increased for you.

On checking with our suppliers we can see that the download speed estimates for your line are between 5.5mbps and 7.5mbps. As you're within this estimate there isn't a great deal more we're able to do to increase the speed you're seeing further.

Please let us know if you need assistance with anything else.

-amandasteede_1

I’m having slow internet problems for a month or more. I’ve tried chat and I can’t get logged on, I’ve phoned & can’t get through to customer services. So I’ve registered with the forum for advice. Very frustrating
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @-amandasteede_1, thanks for your post.

We're sincerely sorry to hear of your speed issues and for your difficulties in reaching the Customer Support Centre.

On testing the line, we're not detecting a fault, however, we can see that the SNR (signal to noise ratio, essentially the power of the signal coming down the line) is set a little low. We've amended this for you now and you'll just need to reboot the router in around 4 hours.

As soon as you've done this you should notice the difference in service but please let us know if this isn't the case.