Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Internet and Frequent Connection Drops Since Adding Phone Line

Lynnpin
Grafter

Re: Slow Internet and Frequent Connection Drops Since Adding Phone Line

Hello all,

I have not noticed any disconnects since moving the central heating controller on Thursday night.

I did get an error message this afternoon waiting for a page to load, I think it was ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT but I was not in the same room as the router so I don't know if it disconnected or not.

Could some kind sole please give me an updated connection log like the one above covering the last 7 days?

Thanks muchly!

tonee973
Dabbler

Hi Guys!

At the end of March I just renewed my existing Unlimited Fibre package (comes through phone line).

When I renewed the contract I had this message from the customer service:

"Your estimated line speed range is from 38 MBPS - 40 MBPS. However this may vary due to the distance from your exchange, quality of your phone line, traffic prioritisation and management policies amongst other factors. "

Before the renewal I had at least 37Mb of download and 5-6Mb of upload speed (according to the online Ookla Speedtest check).

Now I have maximum 10Mb of download and my upload is not going up to 1 Mb.The router is originally from Plusnet, and nothing has changed since I am using it.Yesterday evening I restarted the router after the first check, but the result is the same.

Does anyone has any idea what can cause this problem?

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @tonee973

I am sorry to hear you're having broadband issues. I have run tests on your line and we've detected a external fault that more than likely will be the thing causing the issues with your broadband as of recent. I have raised the fault up with our suppliers who have given us the standard 2 working day turn around time and estimated response time of 22/05/2019 by 23:59. Keeping in mind this is the very latest a engineer would be out to investigate the issue and it could be resolved sooner. I've raised a fault ticket on your account and placed it on hold until the morning of 23/05/2019 so our faults team can check to see if your issue has been resolved however if you are still seeing issues by 23/05/2019 morning and haven't heard from our faults team feel free to drop us a message on here and we'll happily chase this up for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
Lynnpin
Grafter

Tonee973 seems to have hijacked my thread here.Huh

Any chance of a connection log please?

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Hi @Lynnpin

Your connection log's below. It's been solid and stable for just over 4 days now.

Lynnpin
Grafter

Thanks @JOLO 

That's great. 

tonee973
Dabbler

Hi Beyhive

Thanks for keeping eye on my issue! Yesterday I had a total broadband blackout, I had no signal at all, so I had to call the customer service.Today when I got home everything was normal-it seems that Openreach fixed it..According to the received message from the customer service it was an external phone line error..5 minutes ago I've checked the speed and everything's fine. The download speed is around 35 Mb/sec and the upload is in between 8 and 9 Mb/sec (and I am using VPN).

Regards, tonee

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @tonee973,

Thank you for your message. I'm glad to hear that this issue now looks to have been resolved. Please keep an eye on your connection over the next few days and let us know if you experience any further problems with your connection.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
tonee973
Dabbler

Hi 

Thanks for your response.I keep checking, It seems that after 9.00 p.m. the download still falls back to 10 Mbit/sec, the upload is fine.

Lynnpin
Grafter

Hello again,

Since Thursday I've been noticing a slowdown in my internet speed and last night I noticed the lights going off on my router again.

I was in bed, not using anything, and I noticed the middle light on my router 'Broadband' flashing then the right hand light 'Internet' went red then went green.  This happened three times at 1.34 a.m., 2.06 a.m. and around 2.35 a.m. The central heating controller was downstairs and well out of the way but the heating isn't on anyway through the night.

Can you please advise and show me recent connection logs?

Lynnpin
Grafter

Just gone off again in the last 10 minutes.  My connection is as slow as dial up. 

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @Lynnpin,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with the connection again. I've tested the line today and whilst I can see that the connection has become very intermittent recently, I'm unable to detect any external faults on the line itself. For reference, I've included a RADIUS graph below:

RADIUS Capture

As you can see, these disconnects don't line up with what we were previously seeing and so my first question at this stage would be if anything has changed with how things are set up within your property? If they have, then the best place to start looking for a fix would be to temporarily return everything to how things were originally setup to see if this results in any improvement. Other than this, as this seems to be caused by something different to before, I would recommend running through our online troubleshooting guide again. For reference, this can be found here.

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Lynnpin
Grafter

Hi @TheMightyAJ and thank you for your reply.

This pattern is so weird. I can't think anything has changed within the property to cause this, especially between 12 midnight and 7 a.m.

As I mentioned before, I don't have a test socket as our phone installation is about 43 years old and the socket in use is not the first box within the property but the second.  I have no idea of the purpose of the first box. However, they've been there all the time since my broadband started about 8 years ago.

Lynnpin
Grafter

Just now all lights on the router were green but I got a Plusnet router page come up like I had no broadband service at all and then another network error page come up.  Even when the lights are all green?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us @Lynnpin 

It's probably worth trying a different router assuming you're still using the Thomson we sent you a while ago. If you're still having issues I'd then recommend raising a fault Here so we can arrange an engineer visit to investigate further.

If you don't have another router to try we'd be happy to send you a replacement one if you want to give that a go first?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet