cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Internet and Frequent Connection Drops Since Adding Phone Line

Lynnpin
Grafter

Re: Slow Internet and Frequent Connection Drops Since Adding Phone Line

Nice idea @aesmith but I don't feel I should have to pay for that, as I'm sure it wouldn't be a freebie!

Thanks @MasterOfReality. I don't know what to make of all these disconnections. I've done three speed tests today (see chart below) which are terrible. I usually get around 4.5 Mbps but today it's been as low as 0.07 Mbps. Like I've said before, if all these disconnections are making my speed worse I don't have any leeway as my normal speed is hardly supersonic to start with!

Do you think, perhaps, the problem wasn't the router after all?

DATE / TIME   PING
ms
 DOWNLOAD
Mbps
 UPLOAD
Mbps
DISTANCE
mi
LOCATION / SERVER PROVIDER  

7/11/2019 
9:24 PM
< 50
London
Burstfire Networks Ltd
PlusNet

7/11/2019 
6:29 PM
< 50
London
Community Fibre Limited
PlusNet

7/11/2019 
3:13 PM
< 50
London
Coreix Ltd
PlusNet

7/3/2019 
10:54 AM
< 50
London
Telxius
PlusNet

7/2/2019 
9:15 PM
~ 50
London
KamaTera INC
PlusNet

7/2/2019 
12:21 PM
~ 50
London
Telxius
PlusNet
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Thanks for your post @Lynnpin.

On testing we can see that the line had 'banded' to less than 1mbps due to the instability detected with the random disconnects.

I've just removed said banding and you should notice the speeds start to pick up over the next couple of hours

For your convenience I've also included the xDSL Status results that we're getting below:

xDSL Status Check
Circuit ID: <REDACTED> Service ID: <REDACTED>
Telephone NO.: NA Test Executed On: 12-07-2019 09:33:36
xDSL Status Test Summary
Sync Status: Circuit In Sync
General Information
NTE Status:   NTE Power Status: PowerOn Bypass Status:  

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 29.0 48.5
SNR Margin: 7.0 9.8
Errored Seconds: 26 62
HEC Errors: 237  
Cell Count: 10865 14787
Speed: 935 2624

Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 4544 Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 3635
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 86400 Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 1263
Indicative Line Quality: A Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 222
Custom Thresholds
MTBR_RED: MTBE_RED:
MTBR_GREEN:

We can clearly see a lot of errors there and would usually advise using the test socket, however, I note that you don't have one and so we'll skip that step. Our best course of action would now be to arrange for an engineer to check the connection. Due to this, I've sent you a ticket accessible here.

If you can let me know here when you've responded to the ticket, we'll get the appointment booked in ASAP.

Lynnpin
Grafter

Hi @OskarPapa 

I've responded to the ticket.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, I've just picked that up for you and have responded back to the ticket: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=192052534 - Adam 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Lynnpin
Grafter

Hi @adamwalker 

The Engineer arrived on Tuesday and I've been hoping my speed would improve after a day or two but it's still a miserable 2.24 Mbps. Are you able to fix this like @OskarPapa did last time?

I'd also appreciate a new connection log if you'd be so kind?

Thank you.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us.

I've increased the connection profile on your account to reflect your new sync rate of 5.1mbps.

Once you reboot your router you should see your speeds closer to that mark.

Here's also an up to date copy of your connection log:

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Lynnpin
Grafter

Lovely jubbly. Thank you so much.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem Cool

Let us know if there's anything else we can help with or if you need any further assistance.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Lynnpin
Grafter

Thanks again @Gandalf 

Just rebooted and got my normal supersonic speed of 4.45 Mbps. Tar muchly!Thumbs_Up

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Great success. Cheesy

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Nice idea @aesmith but I don't feel I should have to pay for that, as I'm sure it wouldn't be a freebie!

Hi,

Whilst one can have empathy with this sentiment, internal wiring is the responsibility of the subscriber.  Your situation is not helped by there not being a proper NTE socket (with a test port) on your line.

Earlier in this topic you mentioned that the router is upstairs on an extension.  Three questions...

1. What kind of extension wiring and how wired?  The typical DIY D-Section in expensive phone extension cables are fine for voice but diabolical for broadband.  Unless that is a twisted pair cable you are never going to get the best out of broadband, for as you have observed it is quite susceptible to RFI.
  2. Why does the router need to be upstairs?  If it is because you have a computer device with an ethernet connection, the rather than putting the router near the computer on a long phone extension, you could put the router near the main phone socket and run a long ethernet cable or use a pair of Ethernet over power devices.  Connecting the router direct to the first phone socket might also deliver a fast line speed.  Sight of the router stats would be very informative.
  3. Is there only one phone extension?  Multiple extensions wired incorrectly can also cause havoc with optimal broadband performance.

You state that nothing has change in the home - change which is detrimental to good broadband operation can be invisible, like for example the deterioration of a power supply 'brick' not unlike that of you old router.  I am not suggesting that it was that power supply, but there appears to have been a marked improvement in the VR plots since the change.  I've only just read this topic - had you not changed the router I would have suggested using router stats to monitor the line's performance for micro monitoring of the SNRM often points to the nature of what is going wrong.  I have seen such identify issues with CCTV IR emitters and passing Virgin Train trains.

Hopefully your issues might now be abated, but I'd wager that there is some room for improvement!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Lynnpin
Grafter

Hi @Townman 

The router being upstairs is necessary because of where the electrical socket is in the hallway in relation to where the telephone socket is.  I realise my internal wiring is not ideal but it's worked for the past 8 years so it's useable. 

I thought there were two boxes but there are three. The original blue installation Plan 4 socket and plug was actually still in use and a new box from about 17 years ago had been wired into the old blue socket instead of direct to the LJU socket.  Consequently, the wiring had been placed under a carpet across a doorway and the Open Reach engineer found that it was frayed across the centre. He said it should not have been done like that and re-routed it correctly around the door and around the edge of the room so hopefully that was the cause of the problem.  I've not noticed any more disconnections so far.

The funny thing is, if that was the problem, I don't understand why I got loads of disconnections at 2 o'clock in the morning when everything was off and nobody was about, or the disconnections related to the heating controller timings.