cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow FTTC

Ratbert
Dabbler

Slow FTTC

Today I had my adsl2 connection replaced with a fttc install, I know the cabinet is still a long distance away however fttc has been a huge disappointment.
This morning I had adsl2, 48.5 dB attenuation with a 4.8Mb/0.9 sync speed on the evil talktalk.
After install I now have 5Mb download, 0.5 upload. I could have gotten 5Mb on adsl if I rebooted during the day.
I know it's the training period, but the estimate was 10/1 and the line was pretty decent at adsl considering it's length. The cabinet is still around 1 mile away,
I guess my question is this: Is it going to get any better? Or do I just get to pay fttc prices for slightly worse than my old adsl connection?
19 REPLIES 19
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Slow FTTC

Two things
Post the result from the BT speedtest - diagnostic version and Current Line Speed from https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
CX
Grafter

Run the BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test:
http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
You will probably see the same poor speeds at this stage.
At the end of the test, click Further Diagnostics. After those tests run, you will be given a page which shows your IP profile. What is shown for that?
Edit: Somehow managed to double-post with OldJim in spite of the page timing out when posting.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Don't worry - the forum is really being a pain in the butt today when posting images
Ratbert
Dabbler

Thanks for the help,
Current line speed can't be accurate sadly, as it's still a good 1600m to the cabinet
Estimated line speed:
10Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2012-12-18 20:12:15
Current line speed:
37 Mb
speedtest:
Download: 5.32Mb
Upload: 0.58Mb
Further diagnostics:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 5.32 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 3.58 Mbps-0 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 5.11 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.58Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 2 Mbps
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Oh [censored] unless something is badly adrift you shouldn't even be on Fibre although with that distance to the Cab I still wonder if there isn't a problem
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/4488-bt-reduce-minimum-fttc-speed-and-reveal-fttp-will-not-replac... Tells me that you have been provisioned on 40/2 because of the estimated speeds
Ratbert
Dabbler

Quote from: Oldjim
Oh [censored] unless something is badly adrift you shouldn't even be on Fibre although with that distance to the Cab I still wonder if there isn't a problem

I had hoped as the line was actually reasonable, 4Mb stable at 5.5km , that cutting the distance in half would get me something approaching previous generation broadband, 10Mb would still be 2.5 times faster!
Oldjim
Resting Legend

If your estimate of length is correct you should indeed get nearer 15Mb so I would definitely raise a fault
Ratbert
Dabbler

Well now i've reconnected in the evening, it's not even had the decency to be *slightly* faster.
4.5Mb down (exactly the same as adsl)
0.6Mb up (300k less).
Welcome to the future!
It sucks
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Sorry to see you've been having problems with this.
I can see you've raised a fault online, if this is still an issue please go back and complete the questions at http://faults.plus.net
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Ratbert
Dabbler

Is it worth completing the fault, or do I need to wait for the 10 day training period to end first?
adie:quote
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

There isn't a 10 day training period on fibre - it's a common myth.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Ratbert
Dabbler

Ok, so I got hold of an unlocked HG612 because the new revision ECI is really difficult to do anything with (got to serial login, but unable to send characters).
The bad news: Speed is appalling!
Good new: Graphs!
Does this mean anything to anyone? Sadly I'm only just getting started with vdsl.
stats attached
CX
Grafter

Did Openreach give you an ECI rather than Huawei modem initially?
Ratbert
Dabbler

Yes, the ECI is what has been supplied. While it is better than the HG612 it doesn't give me any status. I wanted to find out if I should just give up and go back to adsl or go through the pain of being told there is nothing wrong with the line again.