cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Broadband speeds Theory

Foggy

Slow Broadband speeds Theory

Hi , I have a theory about why people are getting slow speeds and would like to know what people think of it.
I think that anybody who has had a telephone line in their house prior to the days when telephone wires were run underground, are the people who is suffering the most with slow speeds.
You will not see BT replacing wiring that has been in use for well over 50 plus years and in a lot of instances , bell wire into the house .
2 REPLIES 2
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Slow Broadband speeds Theory

See: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/speed_basics.shtml
The main factor is the length of the telephone line between you and your telephone exchange. I think overhead cables may be slightly worse than underground ones, but I'm not sure how much. Also aluminium cables may be worse than copper. Another factor with older installations is the state of the telephone wiring inside the house: the quality of the wire used, and if each internal telephone socket is independently wired to the incoming cable, in a "star" topology, rather than with a more modern master socket.
I wouldn't expect to see BT replacing any wiring, new or old, unless it's broken, if a pole falls down, or someone digs through it in the pavement. Except perhaps if the price of copper ever becomes high enough for BT to recover and sell it!
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Slow Broadband speeds Theory

Interesting theory Foggy but as ejs mentions it doesn't really hold water when you consider that the vast majority of the cable for a line is external to most peoples properties, unless they were to say live in a mansion right next to an exchange Smiley
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team