Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Broadband and no help from Plusnet

Mark
Grafter

Re: Slow Broadband and no help from Plusnet

Hi stevew10000
I've reviewed the actions taken by our support team on the current ticket. In all honesty I cant see any fault in what they have done. I appreciate that they've asked for speedtests but with good reason.
Your line stats arent showing anything to be majorly concerned about and the TAP1 test below hasnt flagged any issues. The current status of your VP is most likely the cause of your issues and thats why the team have asked for BT speed tests and those run particularly during evening peak would be most useful.
My findings this morning fully reinforce my view that the BT Retail rep was mistaken in setting the expectation which you have indicated.
PTTR;-
Attribute: DownStream-BE
TAP ID: TAP-1
Test ID: 1334657798
Start Date/Time: 17-04-2012 11:16:03
Test Duration: PT15S
User Name: XXXXXXX
Domain Name: XXXXXXX
Directory Number: XXXXXXXXXX
Network Identifier: XXXXXXXXXX
Service Identifier: XXXXXXXXXX
BRAS IP Address: XXXXXXXXXX
VPI: 71
VCI: 115
Peering IP Address: XXXXXXXXXX
Infrastructure Type (C+ C++ HG/LTS): C++
System Name: EUSC Performance Tester
System Host: EUSC Performance Tester
Policy Type: BestEffort
Policy ID: NULL
Profile Rate: 7150
Test File Size: 2034892
File Transfer Average Throughput/Session: 1065
MAX VC Throughput/Period: 10
VC Duration Above Average: 0
Average VC Throughput/Session: 10
VC Duration below Average: 0
MIN VC Throughput/Period: 10
+1 VC throughput Stability Index: 0
-1 VC throughput Stability Index: 0
Data Delivery Severity: 0
VC data delivery Index: 106
MAX VP Throughput/Period: 20
VP Duration Above Average: 0
Average VP Throughput/Session: 20
VP Duration Below Average: 0
MIN VP Throughput/Period: 20
+1 VP throughput Stability Index: 0
-1 VP throughput Stability Index: 0
MAX VC Packet Drops/Period: 0
VC Packet Drop Above Average: 0
Average VC Packet Drops/Session: 0
VC Packet Drop Below Average: 0
MIN VC Packet Drops/Period: 0
ATM Errored Seconds: 1
Line Attenuation: 8
Margin: 10
Test Result Interpretation (TRI): 0100
FTTR: false
BT are already aware of the VP issue but at this point we don't have an ETA for them to add additional capacity at your exchange. As you are aware this is impacting all BT based customers using your exchange.
We'll apply a bit more pressure and hopefully get this resolved ASAP.
M
lexusuk
Grafter

Hi stevew10000,
I've also tested your line fully today and can provide some further details.  Your line is connected at the full 8128kbps sync speed possible on the up to 8Mbps Max product.  This is the speed between your modem and your local exchange.  Check the speed profiling, your BT profile (IP profile) and speed profile on our network end points are also both set at the maximum level of 7150kbps.  Your line is configured correctly on our traffic management platform also.
Your latest BT speed test results (21/04/12) show a throughput speed of 1231kbps with an IP profile of 7150kbps when tested which is a little low.  I'd expect figures in the region of 6500kbps as you have seen previously.  I don't think this problem is due to saturated upload either as we are only seeing high upload figures for 16/04/12.  Your usage figures over the last few days look fine.
So what's causing the low throughput?  I've checked the VP's at your exchange on BT's latest report and the status is Green confirming that there is no VP issue currently.  I'm not sure where Mark obtained the information that this issue may be a VP problem as unfortunately I have not had chance to check in with Mark today but the report I checked was dated 20/04/12 so I will assume that this information is correct.
I suspect that your BT test results are not an accurate reflection of your line performance.  I have seen this with a number of other customers lines but the source of the inaccuracy is currently under going investigation between ourselves and BT.  BT have now provided a Beta tester which gives more consistent results.  Please could you run this test at:
http://www.speedtester.bt.com/beta/
You can run this test as many times as you wish.  I'd recommend connecting with an ethernet cable to your modem/router and performing at least 5 tests in a row so we can get a good picture of your line performance.  If you add the results to this thread i'll monitor here so we can progress further once we have some results to work with.  Please accept our apologies that this issue requires so much testing but as Mark has stated, everything that we can check which affects your speed has already been checked and everything looks ok.  As such we need to delve deeper in to the problem to find the root cause.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I expect Mark got the VP status from the same place the rest of us saw it http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?exchange=Wem&exact=2369&plugin=vp
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Alex
So what's causing the low throughput?  I've checked the VP's at your exchange on BT's latest report and the status is Green confirming that there is no VP issue currently.

I don't know where you got your information from, but from the exchange checker that is linked from your Help & Support pages that exchange is AMBER!
http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?exchange=Wem&exact=2369&plugin=vp
Edit: Oops see Anotherone had made the same point on the next page.
Alex: The status is going to have to be confirmed. If it is that Usertools is out of date I suggest it is updated pronto and if that can't be done I suggest you need to post a link to say BT to justify your assertion that it is Green.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
lexusuk
Grafter

I got the info direct from BT. It's a little bit more up to date than the usertools checker. I'll make sure it's updated tomorrow when i'm back in the office.
stevew10000
Grafter

latest speed test as follows.
Download  Speed
1.04 Mbps

0 Mbps 7.15 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.04 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.6 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8.13 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 7.15 Mbps
For those that have asked the question, and think that I am somehow wrong to complain about the lack of service,\
My package is £22 per month, unlimited download, not including line renatl, which is additional to BT.
Prior to Plusnet I was with Madasafish cost more, but 50GB limit, but speed was always over 6.5Mbs.
Plusnet have said they will arrange for an engineer to call, that has not been arranged.
Anotherone
Champion

No, it's the way you do it.
Try the Thinkbroadband speedtester or the BT Beta, the Diagnostic one is giving unreliable results periodically. There is also some doubt about your exchange VP status.
lexusuk
Grafter

Hi stevew10000,
The results you have posted are from the standard BT test which as previously stated is giving inaccurate results for some customers at the moment.  Please run the test here:

by clicking here: http://www.speedtester.bt.com/beta/ and let us know the results of the test.  As previously mentioned it would be worth running the test a number of times in a row so we can also see if your connection is consistently slow/fast.  I'm afraid without these results there is not a great deal we can do to help you.
stevew10000
Grafter

for the last 2 days my broadband speed has been back to how it used to be,
for the most part over 6Mbs currently at 5Mbs, but I do have 2 computers connected at the moment.
Also ran the test/search on the local exchange which indicates it is back at Green rather than Amber. Results copied below.
Exchange Status Checker
Results: Wem
Code: WNWEM
County: Shropshire
Enabled: 10 Mar 2004
Market: 2
Virtual paths: Green
There are currently no known capacity problems on your exchange. There may still be an exchange problem, however BT are not currently reporting that they are aware of it. Please contact Support if you are having speed problems, who can advise further.
Record last updated: 25 Apr 12
Historical information for this exchange:
Status Date
11 Mar 12
15 Jan 12
14 Dec 11
05 Nov 11
03 Oct 11
I have not made any changes to Modem, or router. Thus the only change that I can see is the change at the exchange.
Is the situation that, Plusnet, in common with other providers rely on Open Reach or BT to provide the service?
If so, are speed issues directly attributable to what OR/BT do, in particular with the exchange?
If that is the case, then why are we asked to run constant speed tests, if the available information indicates that the issue is with OR/BT? Should not the supplier be acting on behalf of its customers to get BT/OR to rectify the service?
stevew10000
Grafter

To add to the above,
I have just run the speed test requested in the posting by Alex.
Produces the result that,
Download Speed is 0.00 Mbs
Upload Speed is 0.09 Mbs
Ping Latency 0.00 Ms (whatever that means)
Running a speed test from Broadband Speed checker gives results in the post above.
I believe that test, as is is consistent with times for download of websites and files.
Last night I was able to watch a 2 hour movie on Netflix without any issues what so ever, yet according to the BT test I shouldn't be able to do so.
Also referring back to a previous post (by I think Jo) indicating that on one day I had uploaded over 2Gb, I found a calculator that indicated that at the speed available then it would take over 19 hours to upload such an amount, and even running at best speed would take over 12 hours. I'm not discounting the possibility that some rogue has hacked into, what I think is a secure wireless network, and uploaded files. But given the time my mac is awake and working it seems highly unlikely that it has originated from me.
As an observation, if the speed test produced by BT is so obviously inaccurate, at least it is today, does that raise the possibility that measurements of total uploads and downloads are also potentially inaccurate?
chuckster
Grafter

Hi stevew10000, just regarding the data quantity that was reportedly uploaded.. are there any iPhones in your property linked in through the wireless network too?  Just thinking, could it be iCloud backups taking place from them, or from the Mac too?
Hope you get it sorted soon.  I know it's frustrating, but having been with PlusNet since 2004 I've only been on the verge of moving elsewhere once.. and looking back, that was the fault of my phone provider, not PN.  PN took a fair share of my frustrations at the time, and yes, the process does seem a lot like 'jumping through hoops', but stick with it.  They'll be doing their best to get this resolved for you.  Sometimes the delays are with the other parties involved though.
stevew10000
Grafter

Thanks Chuckster,
2 iPhones and an iPad, completely forgotten that they backup to iCloud rather than the Mac, but generally there is not much to backup.
Frustration is with the publishing of screenshots/printouts which I am sure to an engineer make sense, but on their own without explanation are fairly meaningless. If it is, as I now suspect, a BT or Open reach issue it would be helpful if this was said at the outset.
Simply saying to a customer, do speed tests, otherwise we can't help you, isn't helpful.
Anotherone
Champion

Quote from: stevew10000
As an observation, if the speed test produced by BT is so obviously inaccurate, at least it is today, does that raise the possibility that measurements of total uploads and downloads are also potentially inaccurate?

Just to put you mind at rest on that point, the way Plusnet record upload and dowload bandwidth is in now way connected to the BT speedtesters
tstaddon
Rising Star

Steve,
To be perfectly frank I've had similar issues to you, on and off, for years, but I work in the IT security and comms industry, I know the technology, and I know where to point the finger.
Take it from me as a CUSTOMER not a vested interest.... almost every time* I've had problems with my broadband, it's been due to something on the BT infrastructure side - congested exchange, workmen messing about in the street cabinet, copper cabling being nicked, new street lights causing RF interference. But in all those cases, it's either been me or someone at PlusNet who's diagnosed the problem. BT are monumentally incompetent in so many ways, you really do have to teach them to suck eggs.
Upthread, someone said, "I'd be amazed if our sales colleagues in retail are trained to understand ADSL faults let alone set such an expectation!" - I can top that.
I actually had to explain to BT Retail, AND a BT engineer attending my property, why I insisted they keep my line connected to a cruddy old bit of copper phone line and put up with tinny phone calls instead of letting them boot me onto the nice 1980s fibre optic that didn't support ADSL. Because no matter how many times it was explained to them both by me as a Plusnet customer and by neighbours who were BT Broadband customers, they still insisted on disconnecting people from the copper line.
That'd be the copper line they installed at great expense to enable them to provide customers with broadband on the basis that 1980s fibre that cannot support BT broadband.
And believe it or not, it took PlusNet to tell them, in the first place, that they'd accepted a legal contract to provide phone+broadband house move to a house where broadband wasn't even available (although it should've been but apparently the work order got eaten by the dog or something).
Seriously... if BT Retail was a human male, it would need instructions on how to stand the right way round at a urinal.

* The only times it wasn't BT's fault, the faults were all down to faulty equipment in the house that PN had no control over - a noisy power supply on a DECT phone, a broken microfilter, a damaged cable run, and a fault on the DSL router which was mine, not the one they supplied.

Anotherone
Champion

Grin Grin Grin Oh what a brilliant and informative post, I couldn't have put it better myself, although thankfully not all BT techs that attend Customers' premises are as bad. I've bookmarked your post for future reference and copied to it my desktop - can I have your permission to reproduce it at will without your identity unless you wish otherwise?  Wink
Edit: mind you I think you should definitely include BTw & BT OR somewhere in that  Smiley