cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slooooow mondays

HaydnExport
Grafter

Slooooow mondays

Almost every monday is very slow speed and ping wise for me , is there a reason for this?Huh
33 REPLIES 33
HaydnExport
Grafter

Re: Slooooow mondays

great, on further inspection, my router has resynced at 3,296 down from 5246 can anyone sugest why this happened (3hrs ago).  Sad
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Mondays are the busiest night traffic wise but that wouldn't affect your sync speed. Are you able to post your downstream SNR and line attenuation? You should be able to find this information in the router console somewhere. It might also be an idea to post details about any errors that the router's reporting too (CRC/FEC etc.)

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

HaydnExport
Grafter

here
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:36:12
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 832 / 3,296
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 19.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 24.0 / 42.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 7.0 / 15.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 3 / 20
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 2 / 10
I resynced around 35mins ago.  Im running routerstats atm and the pings are all over the place, a couple going to 500 and 200 ms.
chesterfield
Grafter

Its the PN network (or lack of) that is causing a lot of the issues - here, ill demonstrate....
gateway thn-ag2:

ptn-ag1

THN-AG3

So - unless as a customer you go chasing the gateways before settling in for an evenings browsing or gaming, you just get rubbish.  Its been like this for ages, sadly many of us have just accepted this as par for the course.  PN simply arent bothered about fixing it (look at how long capacity has been amber for on the status pages).  No doubt they want this years profit figures to look nice for the shareholders, so they arent about to spend money on actually providing an upgrade to the service before this financial year is out (im guessing either December or April).
Im guessing we wont see any moves to increase efficiency with extra bandwidth until the earliest January, and maybe even May depending on the fiscal year at PN.  We will just get fed cobblers about the network until then, whilst hopefully distracting us with news about the christmas decorations in the customer service centre - which is of course our first requirement as a customer, not a decent level of service.. we want to see tinsel and trees - that will make all this slow network rubbish all dissapear...
HaydnExport
Grafter

Can anyone point out where the gateway graphs are too?  i cant find them anywhere  Cheesy
HaydnExport
Grafter

here's the routerstats ping graph so far
tobykim
Grafter

I think they have added more capacity but I find I still have to gateway hop as a matter of course
HaydnExport
Grafter

woot, finally found a decent gateway juniper 3 gives me a ping of 34 , shame it's a bit late to go online !
HaydnExport
Grafter

slow mondays has turned into slow tuesday's now

Mand
Grafter

@HaydnExport,
You've got a 4500 profile now, does that match your current line stats?
Gateway hopping may help, but shouldn't be as necessary as it has been the last few weeks. We've done a lot of work recently which has greatly improved things, there's still more to do this week though.
@chesterfield,
We've added more capacity over the last few months than in any period before, and will continue to do so as necessary. It's not at all about year end profits (our financial year doesn't end 'til April in any case), but adding bandwidth takes time, and we need to be sure that it's necessary.
chesterfield
Grafter

Mand,
I think you'll find the CEO concious of the shareholders waiting to see what the 09/10 financial year brings in, will have a different view on the capacity.  Its been amber for months, and remains amber.
What is the point in setting thresholds of what constitutes green, amber and red, if when any of those stages are reached there is no action taken?  The levels needed to trigger an amber status must have been decided on a set of criterea.  The only plausible reason why measures would not be taken to return the status to green on capacity is if someone (most probably holding a calculator in one hand and a P&L account in the other) is arguing a case against it.
Ive had the decency to stick with plusnet for the best part of a decade now I think, at least have the decency not to treat me like an idiot.  I can see capacity is an issue, PN can see it is an issue (hence the status and the shifting people off to 21CN to try and free space up), and the steps now being undertaken are to try and see if PN can wiggle out of buying more by shifting people around, trying to see if managing the load balancing will work, and turning the screws on the traffic management.
HaydnExport
Grafter

i'm pretty sure my line speed by bt is 3k as it was yesterday after my loss of sync, i'm not that bothered about the speed at the end of the day, if i can get 3k i'm happy as long as my ul and ping is good.  I tried a bt speed tester and this is what it said
FAQ
System Error Image not loaded
The Performance Tester is currently unable to run a speed test for your broadband connection. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider.

Mand
Grafter

I can see why you think that way, but with all due respect, that's not how it is.
We added more capacity, and that didn't help as much as it should have. The problems recently were a combination of issues, of which capacity was just a small part.
Yes, moving people to 21CN helped the short term impact, but we'll be moving everyone to 21CN eventually.
A lot of the issues have been hardware related, and some related to the way we've added extra capacity recently. Just lighting more bandwidth right now wouldn't magically fix everything, even if we could do that (but there are provisioning timescales on things like BT central pipes, it's not as simple as flicking a switch).
I can assure you that we're doing everything we can to bring these issues to a close, and have been for some weeks now.
In pure numbers v forecasting v bandwidth lit terms we could set Service Status to green right now, but that would be foolish when some people are still having problems as they are at the moment (though I think most would agree things are better than they've been over the last month).
Mand
Grafter

@HaydnExport,
Are your upstream and pings OK now? You sometimes have to try a few times to get the BT speedtester to work.