Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slightly worried about timing

IngeJones
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Slightly worried about timing

I got my MAC from Be yesterday (was on ADSL without line rental which is still with BT), and it has to be used in 30 days.  Also yesterday I started my PlusNet account for fibre and line rental.  I asked for engineer visit 30th Jan.
Now given that it seems you like to move the line rental first then follow up with the broadband installation some days later, is there a risk my MAC might be out of date before it happens?
16 REPLIES 16
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Slightly worried about timing

Hi, it shouldn't take us that long to transfer the line over, do you know when the MAC is due to expire?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
IngeJones
Aspiring Pro

"30 calendar days" from 7th January.  So, that would be 6th Feb?  Only I can see from these forums that sometimes the engineer is unable to visit on the booked day.  It doesn't leave much time for slippage.  I chose a day that was the most convenient for me, but I could also be available earlier if that would be more sensible?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

If there are any issues on the day of the install (and I really hope there isn't!) the best thing to do would be to drop a reply back onto this thread (even drop me a PM if you like) and myself or one of my colleagues will pick that up and get it chased straight away to avoid that being an issue. Bear in mind too that if a MAC key expires between us placing an order and the installation that shouldn't be an issue either.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
IngeJones
Aspiring Pro

Well I got one of Be's standard soothing emails to let me know everything is going well...
Hello Inge
Looks like something's gone wrong! BT have told us that there is an ongoing cease order for your landline.
The cease date is 30/01/2014

I take it this means PN already put in the order?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Actually, yes I've just checked and a fibre order is in place. I've added details to ticket 79611292 for you.
We should be placing an order to transfer the phone service over after the broadband has been installed.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
digitalham
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

The 30 days with MACs is until it is used and that is when the winning ISP places the order for the changeover. How much the lead time for that to get done is irrelevant.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

What is the chance that the cease will happen before Plusnet get the phone transferred
It really is about time Plusnet changed their system to either move the phone first or at the very least at the same time
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Adam,  the e-mail received by the OP is rather worrying, why do BT think there is a PSTN cease. Surely the fibre order is just a broadband migration and should not affect the BT line. I recall other cases where migrating BE customers have lost their land line but I think they were on full LLU and BE have ceased the line,  this one should not have the same problem. I suggest the OP needs to contact BT and cancel any cease if there really is one!
digitalham
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Could it just be a cease for the ADSL - the tie pair to the LLU DSLAM needs to be disconnected.
IngeJones
Aspiring Pro

Oh dear... fortunately I have a mobile phone and backup PAYG mobile broadband dongle in the event of a tremendous mess-up...  As long as it doesn't go on too long in which case things start to get expensive Shocked
Actually this did happen to me before.  BT did put a cease on my line when I was only moving broadband.  I contacted them and was told once the order for a cease was raised, it could not be cancelled and all I could do was place an order for a new line.  They did reimburse me financially, but it took three weeks for the new line to be activated.  But what can you do?  This is how things tend to be, unfortunately.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

When the broadband transfers across Be will cancel the phone service because having broadband is a condition of them providing the phone so it is crucial that the phone is transferred before Be do that. If they don't, when Be cancel the phone it will automatically cease the ADSL as well and connection fee(s) may have to be paid to have the phone and broadband reconnected.
Quote from: Oldjim
It really is about time Plusnet changed their system to either move the phone first or at the very least at the same time

Seconded!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
IngeJones
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: jelv
When the broadband transfers across Be will cancel the phone service because having broadband is a condition of them providing the phone so it is crucial that the phone is transferred before Be do that.

jelv, my line rental never was with Be*, it was always with BT
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Agreed, its a BT line so BE can't cease it. Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Have you said anything to BT about moving away from them?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)